The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

Loui still has to earn a spot, and Benning has the green light to bury large contracts in the minors. I bet Jimbo does just that and makes a huge statement, similar like he did with handling Dahlen. Keep entitlement issues out of our locker room and culture. It's a new generation we're about to see unfold this year. 

• Upvote 4

I kinda feel Ericksson in not the worst player in the league , certainly Lucic is much worse. so do you think that Ericksson is trying to handcuff Benning like Luongo and Kesler, by only choosing one team he wants to go to. if so then he deserves to go to the minors

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

I kinda feel Ericksson in not the worst player in the league , certainly Lucic is much worse. so do you think that Ericksson is trying to handcuff Benning like Luongo and Kesler, by only choosing one team he wants to go to. if so then he deserves to go to the minors

He has 0 leverage to try and do that. If that was what he was trying I know you will still make your $ Loui but you'll be riding a bus in Utica to do so. I just really hope he doesnt play another game for the Canucks.

Huge reason why GM JB should NOT have got a new 3 year deal imo. But hey, not our $ and the owners don't care to even speak publicly so it is what it is. All I hope is JB sinks LE in Utica for 3 years

18 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

He has 0 leverage to try and do that. If that was what he was trying I know you will still make your $ Loui but you'll be riding a bus in Utica to do so. I just really hope he doesnt play another game for the Canucks.

Huge reason why GM JB should NOT have got a new 3 year deal imo. But hey, not our $ and the owners don't care to even speak publicly so it is what it is. All I hope is JB sinks LE in Utica for 3 years

He has a NTC so I wouldn't say he has 0 leverage. He is going to get paid either way. I really hope he doesn't go to Utica for 3 years as we will be stuck with the cap hit for 3 more years. The best thing for the team to do is to showcase him and move him on when the opportunity arises.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

He has a NTC so I wouldn't say he has 0 leverage. He is going to get paid either way. I really hope he doesn't go to Utica for 3 years as we will be stuck with the cap hit for 3 more years. The best thing for the team to do is to showcase him and move him on when the opportunity arises.

A month in Utica and he might just decide to retire. If this summer doesn't give him enough motivation to show up in camp in the best shape of his career, then his career might be over. 

22 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

A month in Utica and he might just decide to retire. If this summer doesn't give him enough motivation to show up in camp in the best shape of his career, then his career might be over. 

I can think of about 9 million reasons not to retire. I highly doubt he just hands that back and says " no thanks". I know a lot are wishing that but it is highly unlikely. ::D

• Upvote 1

I think he will be on the opening roster but there will be some tough decisions to make when Roussel is healthy.

I think he will inevitably spend time in Utica before the season is though or be traded to avoid that fate.

Edited by hammertime

Maybe JB can swing a deal with Dallas? They are looking to contend now with the acquisitions of Pavelski and Perry. Why not help them out by taking two dead weight contracts off their hands and trading two better players to them?

To VAN:

Hanzal

Cogliano

To DAL:

Eriksson

Leivo

Comparison:

Players- LE+JL vs MH+AC

Goals in 18/19- 25 vs 7

Points in 18/19- 53 vs 12

Cap hit- $7.5 vs $8.0

Salary remaining- $10.5 vs $10.5

Why for DAL?

As mentioned they are looking to contend. LE and JL are huge upgrades on Cogliano and Hanzal at this stage of their careers. Hanzal will be on LTIR next season in the last year of his contract, and Cogliano will be on their fourth line for the next 2 years. With this trade DAL can put Leivo onto 2LW with Hintz and Pavelski. Eriksson can be 3LW with Faksa and Perry. Together they have similar cap hits (DAL takes on $0.5m more but can afford it as they are $0.9m under cap atm) but they end up with more useful players right now, and a good young player in Leivo as a future asset.

Why for VAN?

Clearing out the LE contract. We will pay the same amount of salary but will be rid of the MH and AC contracts within 2 seasons, meaning that come 2021 we will have space to resign Petey and QH. Hanzal can be placed onto LTIR for next season meaning that VAN will have plenty of cap space. Cogliano can play 4LW until Roussel returns from LTIR, and then be our 13th forward. He also provides center depth. We lose Leivo but he is not very high on our depth chart, likely 13th forward next season once Roussel returns.

Why for the players?

AC has a 6 team no trade list. I doubt VAN is on that.

MH has a modified no trade clause but he is on LTIR so he won’t care who pays for the last $4m of his contract.

LE would welcome a move back to DAL where he has spent a considerable amount of time and where they are in contending mode.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Maybe JB can swing a deal with Dallas? They are looking to contend now with the acquisitions of Pavelski and Perry. Why not help them out by taking two dead weight contracts off their hands and trading two better players to them?

To VAN:

Hanzal

Cogliano

To DAL:

Eriksson

Leivo

Comparison:

Players- LE+JL vs MH+AC

Goals in 18/19- 25 vs 7

Points in 18/19- 53 vs 12

Cap hit- $7.5 vs $8.0

Salary remaining- $10.5 vs $10.5

Why for DAL?

As mentioned they are looking to contend. LE and JL are huge upgrades on Cogliano and Hanzal at this stage of their careers. Hanzal will be on LTIR next season in the last year of his contract, and Cogliano will be on their fourth line for the next 2 years. With this trade DAL can put Leivo onto 2LW with Hintz and Pavelski. Eriksson can be 3LW with Faksa and Perry. Together they have similar cap hits (DAL takes on $0.5m more but can afford it as they are $0.9m under cap atm) but they end up with more useful players right now, and a good young player in Leivo as a future asset.

Why for VAN?

Clearing out the LE contract. We will pay the same amount of salary but will be rid of the MH and AC contracts within 2 seasons, meaning that come 2021 we will have space to resign Petey and QH. Hanzal can be placed onto LTIR for next season meaning that VAN will have plenty of cap space. Cogliano can play 4LW until Roussel returns from LTIR, and then be our 13th forward. He also provides center depth. We lose Leivo but he is not very high on our depth chart, likely 13th forward next season once Roussel returns.

Why for the players?

AC has a 6 team no trade list. I doubt VAN is on that.

MH has a modified no trade clause but he is on LTIR so he won’t care who pays for the last $4m of his contract.

LE would welcome a move back to DAL where he has spent a considerable amount of time and where they are in contending mode.

One of the better proposals - send this to JB inbox.   This won’t make much of a difference to our on ice product over the next two years - losing Leivo isn’t a big deal...like it.

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

I think he will be on the opening roster but there will be some tough decisions to make when Roussel is healthy.

I think he will inevitably spend time in Utica before the season is though or be traded to avoid that fate.

I see a lot of people (not just yourself) are suggesting that LE gets sent to Utica but I don't see that happening. He'll get loaned to another AHL team perhaps but definitely not too Utica. He'd have too much negative influence on the prospects in Utica same idea as Gagner getting loaned to Toronto's AHL team....

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

He'd have too much negative influence on the prospects in Utica same idea as Gagner getting loaned to Toronto's AHL team....

This is a strange argument I see a lot of. Why? Do folks really believe the hockey players are dumb as feck and should be treated as children? 

They talk about everything in life as any body else, gossip, chit chat, rumours... You name it, they've said it. 

What could Loui say that wouldbe a negative influence? 

10 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

FA had something to do with signing Loui and is taking some of that blame. He wanted another push when everyone around him was saying rebuild. Plus, on paper it was a good signing. The issue is Loui's play and quick drop off in ability.

6 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

This is a strange argument I see a lot of. Why? Do folks really believe the hockey players are dumb as feck and should be treated as children? 

They talk about everything in life as any body else, gossip, chit chat, rumours... You name it, they've said it. 

Serious questions: are you willfully playing the devil's advocate, or do you simply know very little about hockey?

2 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

I see a lot of people (not just yourself) are suggesting that LE gets sent to Utica but I don't see that happening. He'll get loaned to another AHL team perhaps but definitely not too Utica. He'd have too much negative influence on the prospects in Utica same idea as Gagner getting loaned to Toronto's AHL team....

Maybe loans to the Texas Stars?  

Kind of like showcasing him to the Dallas Stars organization.  

Plus, he will get more money due to the tax advantage.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Doesn’t matter.  Loui will not report to any AHL team.  He will retire before suffering the embarrassment (he would experience, especially back home) of being sent down. 

12 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

If you were him, would you really retire? $6M in the pocket a year for 2 more years... you just have to get used to the stinky bus rides, mac n' cheese for dinner and cheap motels.... show up at practice and just wing it at the AHL games.... I know some fans talked about pride and having earned tons of dough but honestly... it would take a Wayne Gretzky to walk away from our $!

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Doesn’t matter.  Loui will not report to any AHL team.  He will retire before suffering the embarrassment (he would experience, especially back home) of being sent down. 

How does it work for our cap hit if he, in an unlikely event, does retire?? I don't know enough of the CBA rules for players that retire in the middle of their contracts like Luongo .... 

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

How does it work for our cap hit if he, in an unlikely event, does retire?? I don't know enough of the CBA rules for players that retire in the middle of their contracts like Luongo .... 

When Loui retires, his cap comes off the books.  No Swedish born player, who was once a star, has ever accepted demotion.  They retire.  The most recent example is Bergland, who left the Sabres last year giving up 10 million over the next three seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

When Loui retires, his cap comes off the books.  No Swedish born player, who was once a star, has ever accepted demotion.  They retire.  The most recent example is Bergland, who left the Sabres last year giving up 10 million over the next three seasons. 

OK... then why did we get punished for Luongo's retirement? coz his term was over 10 years? I'm just a lil confused...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

If you were him, would you really retire? $6M in the pocket a year for 2 more years... you just have to get used to the stinky bus rides, mac n' cheese for dinner and cheap motels.... show up at practice and just wing it at the AHL games.... I know some fans talked about pride and having earned tons of dough but honestly... it would take a Wayne Gretzky to walk away from our $!

He has a young family... being away from them for three years while riding the busses would be a long time.

• Upvote 1