The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

2 hours ago, babalu said:

Zaitsev has severely underperformed and his contract is for 5 more years. Hard pass unless they are giving us Kapanen to take him.

Severely underperformed is a big reach.

He is objectively better than Hutton or Gudbranson who we went into last season as part of our starting six.  Guddy was getting paid almost as much as Zaitsev.

With the cap expected to rise significantly with Seattle coming on-board and the nw US TV deal, $4.5 million is going to be a bargain for a solid 3rd pairing D who can play over 20 minutes a night.

If Zaitsev was paid just a million less, Toronto could actually get value in a trade for him.

The issue for him is that he isn’t a guy that makes a good pass and pushes the play up the ice.... and that is the style Green is trying to develop.

Edited by Provost
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I will say this about wanting the Canucks to acquire Pesce

Pesce is a 2/3 type of Dman, not too far off of Edler's type

I think he would be an excellent upgrade from a broken Tanev

In age, points, size and in health...……..he is on a great contract for another 5 years

He would be a great addition

I will also say that the addition of both Hughes and Demko will make the Canucks stronger over 82 games next year

And I will say, that "IF" the Canucks add 1 - 1st/2nd line forward we be even stronger

"IF" we add an additional Dman....Myers/Stralman etc...…..we will be even stronger yet

The removal of MDZ and Pouliot will be addition by subtraction...……..

and the addition of Pearson is a later in the addition in the year will help...………..

IMO, we are 12 to 14 points better, if Edler re-signs this year

It is my opinion...……….period

My opinion can change.....period

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

Severely underperformed is a big reach.

He is objectively better than Hutton or Gudbranson who we went into last season as part of our starting six.  Guddy was getting paid almost as much as Zaitsev.

With the cap expected to rise significantly with Seattle coming on-board and the nw US TV deal, $4.5 million is going to be a bargain for a solid 3rd pairing D who can play over 20 minutes a night.

If Zaitsev was paid just a million less, Toronto could actually get value in a trade for him.

The issue for him is that he isn’t a guy that makes a good pass and pushes the play up the ice.... and that is the style Green is trying to develop.

If he is so great why is Toronto not keeping him. They are in desperate need of a rhd. He is way overpaid for a bottom pairing guy. Why do you think we were trying to trade Guudy for like 2 years. Let's not make the same mistake we made acquiring Gudbranson.

Risto for 10th overall

Gost for Virtanen & Tanev ( lost Simmonds. Virtanen younger verison. PHI had youngest D in the league last year Niskanen and Tanev on the right side to go with their young lefty's)

Sign Edler 2 years 6 mill

Sign Myers 5 years 5 mill

Edler-Risto

Gost-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Nuck1991 said:

id edler resigns they have edler, hughes and hutton. 

Tanev cant even play half the season. They cant go into the next season with 3 dmen. I think tanev s days are numbered and schenn gets resigned. schenn, biega, are good number 7 and 8. We need 1 top 4 and 1 top 6 d man. Look at St louis blue line and even bruins. All big punishing d men. Tanev cant be that guy. We need someone like Parayko and Mcavoy.

And not Gostisbehere.......another LHD who crapped the bed last year by following a 65 point season with 37 and went from +10 to -20.  He's got 4 more years at $4.5.  

So you sign this guy who may not do any better than Hughes?

Is he the answer to the Canucks problems?  No.  The need a RHD.  Even Zaitzev is a better fit and I'm leery about that move

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Risto for 10th overall

Gost for Virtanen & Tanev ( lost Simmonds. Virtanen younger verison. PHI had youngest D in the league last year Niskanen and Tanev on the right side to go with their young lefty's)

Sign Edler 2 years 6 mill

Sign Myers 5 years 5 mill

Edler-Risto

Gost-Stecher

Hughes-Myers

Please tell me you're joking? 

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I love Horvat but who here would do the following (if a high level C is what Philly wants):

Horvat / Hutton

for

right to sign Hayes / Nolan Patrick / Ghost

I would absolutely hate to lose Horvat but if Hayes said he would resign with us I would do it lol.

That's awful sorry.  Horvat is one of the best young centers in the NHL, he has no weaknesses to his game and has size. The kid is a premium player. JB Has also stated he's not moving any of his core youth, so the idea is pointless.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W

23 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Wait....I liked your comment before I even got to the part you bolded haha. How did you get past Risto for 10th OA?

It's bad but at least more realistic than what I bolded. 

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I will say this about wanting the Canucks to acquire Pesce

Pesce is a 2/3 type of Dman, not too far off of Edler's type

I think he would be an excellent upgrade from a broken Tanev

In age, points, size and in health...……..he is on a great contract for another 5 years

He would be a great addition

I will also say that the addition of both Hughes and Demko will make the Canucks stronger over 82 games next year

And I will say, that "IF" the Canucks add 1 - 1st/2nd line forward we be even stronger

"IF" we add an additional Dman....Myers/Stralman etc...…..we will be even stronger yet

The removal of MDZ and Pouliot will be addition by subtraction...……..

and the addition of Pearson is a later in the addition in the year will help...………..

IMO, we are 12 to 14 points better, if Edler re-signs this year

It is my opinion...……….period

My opinion can change.....period

Are you on something Jan?   You only get 3 periods.   ;) 

Besides,. Edler will be the best move by attrition ..  and Tanev is the invisible man, send him to Toronto for Zaitsev and a 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

That's awful sorry.  Horvat is one of the best young centers in the NHL, he has no weaknesses to his game and has size. The kid is a premium player. JB Has also stated he's not moving any of his core youth, so the idea is pointless.

Bo has Ryan O’Reilly 2.0 written all over him if he continues on his current pace. 

23 minutes ago, teepain said:

Gost 

for

hutton, lind , 40th pick

That package might get you Robert Hagg, but absolutely not Gostisbehere. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Personally, I think Edler and Ghost would make a good pairing. Similarly to Edler and Ehrhoff. He's LD but outside of Edler we don't have any good top 4 left D anyway and I think people are putting a bit too much on Hughes plate this early. Guy is still 19. Hutton's best year is worse than Ghost's worst year. Hell, Ghost's worst year point wise is almost better than Hutton's last 3 years combined. 

Edler - Tanev

Ghost - Stecher

Hughes - Schenn (or a FA)

Doesn't look too bad and it gives our 20 year old star of the future some breathing room to just develop and not be the savior. Could also go and get Stralman in Free agency to play with Edler and throw Tanev down with Hughes. Either way I don't think we are nearly deep enough on LD to give a hard no to Ghost. Nobody on this blue line has scored 65 points in a season. Ghost and Hughes would be a deadly 1-2 punch as our top 2 LD in a couple years when Hughes develops more.

Its definitly a route I can see us going. Your scenario would definilty make us a better team. However if we do go this direction I worry about being "too deep" on the left side, as odd as that sounds. If our LD looks like

Edler (lets say he signs for 3 yrs)

Ghost

Hughes

I feel like someone of the 3 will be wrongfully buried in depth.

Hughes is in an odd spot right now. In one hand hes really impressed and i wouldnt mind playing him on the 2nd pair. On the other I dont want to put too much pressure on him like you said. 

Just a really awkward spot we could be in if hughes cements himself as a top guy. Best action is to cross that bridge when we get there I guess.

Gcg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

Its definitly a route I can see us going. Your scenario would definilty make us a better team. However if we do go this direction I worry about being "too deep" on the left side, as odd as that sounds. If our LD looks like

Edler (lets say he signs for 3 yrs)

Ghost

Hughes

I feel like someone of the 3 will be wrongfully buried in depth.

Hughes is in an odd spot right now. In one hand hes really impressed and i wouldnt mind playing him on the 2nd pair. On the other I dont want to put too much pressure on him like you said. 

Just a really awkward spot we could be in if hughes cements himself as a top guy. Best action is to cross that bridge when we get there I guess.

Gcg

Yup. But there is the added option of trying Hughes in the right side.

Im not so sure how realistic that is but there has been chatter about it.

6 hours ago, babalu said:

If he is so great why is Toronto not keeping him. They are in desperate need of a rhd. He is way overpaid for a bottom pairing guy. Why do you think we were trying to trade Guudy for like 2 years. Let's not make the same mistake we made acquiring Gudbranson.

Go on capfriendly.com and check out TO’s cap situation. It might help enlighten 95% of transaction rumours coming out of Toronto. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I just want to have some actual trades to discuss. I'm curious to see what the real market is like rather than all this speculation. I think many people are expecting the moon for any deal and it doesn't surprise me when they overvalue our guys and when they see a trade that doesn't net their return, they get upset when it was never a reality.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t St. Louis just win the Cup with a bunch of 6’5” 230 pound defencemen?  Why would we want to add another guy under 6’?

I’d rather we go all in and trade for a guy like Zadorov. Partner him with Tryamkin and no opposing forward would want to cross our blueline. 

Zadorov and Tryamkin are made for playoff hockey. 

You can't just look at who won the last cup and try to emulate that.  You have to look at your core of players and build a complimentary group around them.

Chicago won with a relatively small group of skilled players, as did Pitts.  LA won 90s style with hooking, holding, size and team D.  

There is no single model for playoff hockey. 

If you change course every time someone else wins the cup you get what happened to us after 2011.

Yes you need size but it has to be size that can play.  When ranking players the role that size plays has been decreasing but is still significant.  Now though IQ, speed and skills rank higher.

Looking at the charts team size and weight is interesting because it looks pretty much like a random distribution when it comes to quality.  Boston, the other finalist is one of the smaller teams in the league.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

And not Gostisbehere.......another LHD who crapped the bed last year by following a 65 point season with 37 and went from +10 to -20.  He's got 4 more years at $4.5.  

So you sign this guy who may not do any better than Hughes?

Is he the answer to the Canucks problems?  No.  The need a RHD.  Even Zaitzev is a better fit and I'm leery about that move

To be fair Hughes hasn't done anything yet.  I think Hughes will be a better player but we don't know anything yet, he may never reach 65 points.

Crapping the bed with 37 points would make him our highest scoring D last year.  

I do think Zaitsev is most likely possibility and is not as bad as the Leaf bias on this board would make you think, getting him for cheap with a cap dump seems most likely scenario.

• Like 1