The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

5 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I want to see a true contender in 2-3 years, not one and done this year. 

I see the reasoning of your overall post and I'm not directing this necessarily at you, but I've seen this line a few times and I don't see how adding a good piece now somehow jeopardizes us being a contender in 2-3 years.  

If we're going to be a contender in that timeframe, we already have enough pieces to keep us out of the basement until then and thus won't get those deluxe draft picks.  IE if Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Marky/Demko, Stech, Virtanen and maybe Pearson, Gaudette, Juolevi are good enough to be the core of a contender, it's already done... we're a bubble team when healthy the way Green has this team going. 

Adding a late-20s stud like Panarin or Karlsson wouldn't jeopardize a run 2 years from now.. they'd be key components of one.  

IMO adding a guy like useless Lucic and his immovable contract to "weaponize cap space" would jeopardize us being a contender in 2-3 years more than anything.  I still think Loui is easier to move, considering the hubbub this offseason.  Get that done another way.

In short, I still think JB needs to try and improve the team this offseason any way he can.  We have enough of a new core that we are unlikely (without serious lottery help) to have those tap-in drafted elite players.  I'm sure JB and the scouting staff have another trick or two up their sleeves, but the way I see it our path to contender-hood is still going to need a few good UFA signings and / or trades.  What those look like are still open to debate but we aren't just going to simply draft our way to a championship squad from this point.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

On 6/14/2019 at 3:19 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Gaudette, Juolevi and a 3rd might get it done. 

With Hughes already on the left side, is Ghost the guy to go for?  We also have Stecher on the right side.  Add Tanev and add Ghost... all of a sudden we are the smurfs.  

That's two guys that represent the new NHL, but we are a western team that will get into very physical games.  

I don't think we can add Ghost without getting run.  

OJ is a depth guy this season, that is something we need and he is going to get better and better.  

Ditto for Gaudette.  It took a long time to add blue chip players like that to our roster.   Make deals, sure, but dont mortgage the future. 

Now if JB has deals in place for Stecher and or Tanev tp replace and is bring Trymakin back now plus Schenn and going hard after some addition D men like Edler and ar least one more top 4 FA d man or make a big trade. 

If Ghost is being sought, then the only current roster D man I can pen into the lineup is Hughes.  

Not q bad thing, if its broke fix it, but that is an ambitious move and IMO would require alot of additional moves to truly make sense.  

On 6/14/2019 at 3:15 PM, Kobayashi Maru said:

I want JB to get somebody core.  I know it will cost more but then it’s someone we can build around.  I will still be holding out for a Joulevi Ristolainen pairing until it won’t actually happen.  We need to add a sub 25 cost controlled core D men at the expense of higher picks and prospects.

I would be down with that move.  Risto is a guy I would be very happy adding to our blue line.  

Buffalo is the Edmonton of the east, just slightly ahead of the Oilers and just as likely to mess up a top prospect.  

They also make bad trades... 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Amebushi said:

One bug splash 

Had one of those on my windshield the other day. Hell of a time getting it off.

6 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

Risto is a guy I would be very happy adding to our blue line.  

Risto and/or Miller should be at the top of our list for targets IMO.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Risto and miller I like the sound of that and perfect balance for Hughes and OJ :) now just get on the phone to Jim lol

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Amebushi said:

I’m with what appears to be the consensus here. Overall we need to stay the course. I don’t believe that Ghost or even EK are the players we need. We have strong Centers (EP and Bo) decent goaltending and one first line winger. While I’d love to see another superstar in Canuck colours I don’t expect the price to be in line with what we need now. 

One bug splash in free agency may be enough to get into the playoffs, it doesn’t remake the entire defence core. We need at least one high level winger, an actual top defence pair and a real partner for Hughes as well. Hughes May be a top Dman but he isn’t right now. I strongly think we should sign Edler short term, get rid of as much baggage as we can for whatever we can get. 4th founders are worth more than some of our “trade chips”. Play guys like Virtannen in offencive roles where he will either blossom or at least get a few more points by accident and increase his trade value at the deadline. Big acquisitions should only be made once we are truly competitive and stay the course. Always watch the secondary UFA market and trades with cap strapped teams but only pull the trigger if it’s an obvious win with only short term pain. I want to see a true contender in 2-3 years, not one and done this year. 

Ditto and hopefully the LE situation currently happening will be a reminder to both JB and more so the Aquillini's to let this so called rebuild run its course...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Trebreh said:

is Hutton an RFA or UFA? is it possible we could see both him and Edler walk? 

He is a RFA but the Canucks would need to qualify him to retain his rights.

Hutton has arbitration rights and has played a lot of minutes last year suggesting that he was considered a 1st pairing D.  Time on ice is a key argument in arbitration.  He could end up getting an award that is a fair bit over his value.  Teams cannot walk away if awards are under 4.4M.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mll said:

He is a RFA but the Canucks would need to qualify him to retain his rights.

Hutton has arbitration rights and has played a lot of minutes last year suggesting that he was considered a 1st pairing D.  Time on ice is a key argument in arbitration.  He could end up getting an award that is a fair bit over his value.  Teams cannot walk away if awards are under 4.4M.   

It is entirely possible that Vancouver does not qualify him. This allows him to become UFA, but also removes his arbitration rights. Then they can try to re-sign him at what they deem is a fair rate.

They did the same with Pouliot last year (who had a decent season prior to that). Although, even with the threat of a larger salary, Hutton has more value, so maybe they will just bite the bullet and qualify, then pay the arbitration award.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

It is entirely possible that Vancouver does not qualify him. This allows him to become UFA, but also removes his arbitration rights. Then they can try to re-sign him at what they deem is a fair rate.

They did the same with Pouliot last year (who had a decent season prior to that). Although, even with the threat of a larger salary, Hutton has more value, so maybe they will just bite the bullet and qualify, then pay the arbitration award.

They have to qualify Hutton. Hutton made a serious bid to be a 2nd pairing d-man at the NHL level last year. Whether he is or not on a CUP contender is a legit question. As a UFA I suspect there would be lots of interest. If Hutton continues his development this coming season at the very worse he becomes a solid trade option in the event that Joulevi can displace him in a few years or if Edler walks. Benning has to have Hutton. 

19 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

I see the reasoning of your overall post and I'm not directing this necessarily at you, but I've seen this line a few times and I don't see how adding a good piece now somehow jeopardizes us being a contender in 2-3 years.  

If we're going to be a contender in that timeframe, we already have enough pieces to keep us out of the basement until then and thus won't get those deluxe draft picks.  IE if Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, Boeser, Marky/Demko, Stech, Virtanen and maybe Pearson, Gaudette, Juolevi are good enough to be the core of a contender, it's already done... we're a bubble team when healthy the way Green has this team going. 

Adding a late-20s stud like Panarin or Karlsson wouldn't jeopardize a run 2 years from now.. they'd be key components of one.  

IMO adding a guy like useless Lucic and his immovable contract to "weaponize cap space" would jeopardize us being a contender in 2-3 years more than anything.  I still think Loui is easier to move, considering the hubbub this offseason.  Get that done another way.

In short, I still think JB needs to try and improve the team this offseason any way he can.  We have enough of a new core that we are unlikely (without serious lottery help) to have those tap-in drafted elite players.  I'm sure JB and the scouting staff have another trick or two up their sleeves, but the way I see it our path to contender-hood is still going to need a few good UFA signings and / or trades.  What those look like are still open to debate but we aren't just going to simply draft our way to a championship squad from this point.

You have brought up some very good key points and put it all in one nice basket.

What we have : Cap Space

A Good foundation of young players(Core)

Players that cannot stay HEALTHY

What we need : Young , healthy players to add to our core

How? :Use "Cap Space" to our advantage(Not take on long contracts to older players, i.e. Lucic) -Find short term contracts only

Find players who cannot sign because of their teams cap restrictions(maybe we can trade away some of our low cost "plug" players)

I am with you, adding key pieces does not put us back as the draft is a lottery and we need these components to our team anyway. Where we may faulter on this is getting players that are too old or have ballooned contracts which will hamper signing our core players when the time comes.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

They have to qualify Hutton. Hutton made a serious bid to be a 2nd pairing d-man at the NHL level last year. Whether he is or not on a CUP contender is a legit question. As a UFA I suspect there would be lots of interest. If Hutton continues his development this coming season at the very worse he becomes a solid trade option in the event that Joulevi can displace him in a few years or if Edler walks. Benning has to have Hutton. 

If he could do something with that career plus/minus I would tend to agree with you but he has had 4 seasons in the NHL and he is a combined -75 !!!!!!!

He played more minutes on this team only because we have injury prone Edler/Tanev and he was one of the ONLY OPTIONS available. He IS a reason why our D is not so good and not a solution to our problems. I don't see his "development" improving.

Benning has Cap space and other options(Hughes/OJ) he does not "have to have Hutton".

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

If he could do something with that career plus/minus I would tend to agree with you but he has had 4 seasons in the NHL and he is a combined -75 !!!!!!!

He played more minutes on this team only because we have injury prone Edler/Tanev and he was one of the ONLY OPTIONS available. He IS a reason why our D is not so good and not a solution to our problems. I don't see his "development" improving.

Benning has Cap space and other options(Hughes/OJ) he does not "have to have Hutton".

With Edler leaving I doubt there is any doubt that Hutton is resigned. Again I am not suggesting he is more than a borderline 2nd pairing d-man. On a CUP contender he is a 3rd pairing. I do not see Hutton still being with the team when they are CUP contenders. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

How of a priority does Vegas have with acquiring their next goalie (post Fleury)? :ph34r:

Personally i don't see Subban being able to carry the torch. 

22 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

The contract EK signed today is why I want to stay away from aging UFA’s. Sure I’d put 11.5 million on the books for a few years, give home every clause in the book too. That contract is going to be ugly when he is 35 and skating in one leg. Maybe the sharks will be able to hide it or buy it out but we all know the Canucks will never get cap leniency for anything. Great player, too rich for my blood, stay the course. 

20 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

With Hughes already on the left side, is Ghost the guy to go for?  We also have Stecher on the right side.  Add Tanev and add Ghost... all of a sudden we are the smurfs.  

That's two guys that represent the new NHL, but we are a western team that will get into very physical games.  

I don't think we can add Ghost without getting run.  

OJ is a depth guy this season, that is something we need and he is going to get better and better.  

Ditto for Gaudette.  It took a long time to add blue chip players like that to our roster.   Make deals, sure, but dont mortgage the future. 

Now if JB has deals in place for Stecher and or Tanev tp replace and is bring Trymakin back now plus Schenn and going hard after some addition D men like Edler and ar least one more top 4 FA d man or make a big trade. 

If Ghost is being sought, then the only current roster D man I can pen into the lineup is Hughes.  

Not q bad thing, if its broke fix it, but that is an ambitious move and IMO would require alot of additional moves to truly make sense.  

the new NHL?  Tell that to the two teams in the finals, and almost all the teams actually in the playoffs.  This "new NHL" is a myth.  Teams that go heavily on a youth movement are always on the outside looking in.  Veteran teams win Cups

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

the new NHL?  Tell that to the two teams in the finals, and almost all the teams actually in the playoffs.  This "new NHL" is a myth.  Teams that go heavily on a youth movement are always on the outside looking in.  Veteran teams win Cups

Exactly. The whole "size and grit are the old NHL" narrative took two to the temple this year. A successful team has speed, skill, size, and strength. And as you mentioned, they also have a healthy veteran presence that guides the younger core.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

The contract EK signed today is why I want to stay away from aging UFA’s. Sure I’d put 11.5 million on the books for a few years, give home every clause in the book too. That contract is going to be ugly when he is 35 and skating in one leg. Maybe the sharks will be able to hide it or buy it out but we all know the Canucks will never get cap leniency for anything. Great player, too rich for my blood, stay the course. 

I agree, for a player like EK, but if they don't sign Edler, they're in serious trouble. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I'm on the other side of it with EK but I can see where people are coming from.  An 11.5 on the books means you can't have any Eriksson / Lucic / Neal type deals lying around and, yes, it would be a bad look in 5-7 years.  I still think you can build around it, for a premier player who's on the ice for almost half the game.  

Anyways, we aren't getting EK now.  I agree with Stawns that Edler is extremely critical if we want to keep making progress.. yet I also think JB needs to ensure it's a reasonable deal.  

How JB navigates this offseason should have huge lasting effects.

• Cheers 1