The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Sharks re-sign Erik Karlsson

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Wonder if the Sharks will try to get Vlasic to waive his NTC and try and get someone to take on his contract. 

In his press conference talking about the signing Wilson named Vlasic as part of their top D-players with Karlsson and Burns.  They are not looking to trade him.

"To have three-high end defensemen (Burns, Karlsson, Marc-Edouard Vlasic), to be strong down the middle is really important. I think that's the foundation of any successful team," Wilson said. "Yes, you're going to have to integrate others in, you have to make decisions, but I tell you, knowing that we have this type of defense, knowing we have these types of centermen, it's a really good point to go forward and build our team off of."

3 hours ago, mll said:

In his press conference talking about the signing Wilson named Vlasic as part of their top D-players with Karlsson and Burns.  They are not looking to trade him.

"To have three-high end defensemen (Burns, Karlsson, Marc-Edouard Vlasic), to be strong down the middle is really important. I think that's the foundation of any successful team," Wilson said. "Yes, you're going to have to integrate others in, you have to make decisions, but I tell you, knowing that we have this type of defense, knowing we have these types of centermen, it's a really good point to go forward and build our team off of."

They have $12.5 million to spend on 5 forwards. I can see Thornton taking a pay cut to play, but Pavelski, and Nyquist? Or do they plan on rookies filling the other roster spots to keep the costs down? 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sharks

13 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

8 years at $11M?!?!

JB better sign Pettersson today before he's getting $15M+ in 2 years

This was what he was always getting, he’s said for two years the whatever Doughty gets/got  (before he signed even) is what he would be looking for as well...and he’s earned it the same way Tavares earned his contract given his previous contracts we’re underpaid for what he provided.   I don’t have an issue with this and always felt it would cost someone (and as many teams that could afford it would be calling his agent once the phones were open) this.  SJ is going to be in some cup trouble...and I’m pretty sure one day they will come to regret it...unless of course they win a cup.

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

They have $12.5 million to spend on 5 forwards. I can see Thornton taking a pay cut to play, but Pavelski, and Nyquist? Or do they plan on rookies filling the other roster spots to keep the costs down? 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sharks

Braun could be on the move - 3.8M.  He is a RD like Burns and Karlsson who play top minutes.  Nyquist is probably on the way out.  

Wilson doesn't exclude finding a solution with Pavelski.  Might be challenging to retain him but the Sharks are contenders for next season.  He will get better offers on the open market but teams willing to pay him might not be as well positioned as the Sharks.  He turns 35 in July and might prefer to try again with the Sharks.  

Wilson seems to think that he can get a bridge from Meier - said he talked to him and his agent and they understand the cap. LaBanc is probably the same route.  

Barracuda and SJS share the same ice so they could also go with 21 players at home to continue to bank cap space - they probably have some waiver free prospects that will go up and down between both leagues.  

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:01 AM, D-Money said:

More likely Justin Braun, since he's now their 3rd RHD. They're not nearly as strong on the left side (Vlasic - Dillon - Simek?).

2 hours ago, mll said:

Braun could be on the move - 3.8M.  He is a RD like Burns and Karlsson who play top minutes.  

Well...that didn't take very long...

29 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, mll said:

Braun could be on the move - 3.8M.  He is a RD like Burns and Karlsson who play top minutes.  Nyquist is probably on the way out.  

Wilson doesn't exclude finding a solution with Pavelski.  Might be challenging to retain him but the Sharks are contenders for next season.  He will get better offers on the open market but teams willing to pay him might not be as well positioned as the Sharks.  He turns 35 in July and might prefer to try again with the Sharks.  

Wilson seems to think that he can get a bridge from Meier - said he talked to him and his agent and they understand the cap. LaBanc is probably the same route.  

Barracuda and SJS share the same ice so they could also go with 21 players at home to continue to bank cap space - they probably have some waiver free prospects that will go up and down between both leagues.  

Omg....wizardry!!!!

• 7 months later...
7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sharks aren't looking so hot, I wonder if they'll still be happy with that contract going forward. Sharks look old. 

7 1/2 more years of watching karlsson regress on a non playoff team... ouch watch sharks win the draft lotto and have to watch Ottawa pick lefreniere with there pick to hahaha 

13 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Sharks aren't looking so hot, I wonder if they'll still be happy with that contract going forward. Sharks look old. 

I think even if the Sharks decide to retool (or go younger) Karlsson will still be an important part of that process. A young team still need a good d-core after all.

9 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

7 1/2 more years of watching karlsson regress on a non playoff team... ouch watch sharks win the draft lotto and have to watch Ottawa pick lefreniere with there pick to hahaha 

Karlsson definitely still holds value, but if Ottawa gets a top #3 pick with their pick that's gonna sting a bit

3 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I think even if the Sharks decide to retool (or go younger) Karlsson will still be an important part of that process. A young team still need a good d-core after all.

Sharks remind me of where they were a while back, a lot of their players are 30 or pushing 30. Jumbo, Burns, and Marleau are well past 30. They've got Meier and Hertl as productive guys under 27 but they need an infusion of youth in a big way. Karlsson should play at a high level for a while yet, but I wonder if they might consider moving him sooner than later. 

This year may be an anomaly, but if it's not they could be looking at a rebuild/retool sooner than later. 

14 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

And the rest of us get to shake our heads in a few years when Ottawa refuses to pay him and trades him to fire up their next rebuild :bigblush:

4 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

And the rest of us get to shake our heads in a few years when Ottawa refuses to pay him and trades him to fire up their next rebuild :bigblush:

Actually OTT made a great offer to EK. 10 mill 8 year range. He wanted to leave. Wasnt interested in signing in OTT. They lucked out. 

Just now, WHL rocks said:

Actually OTT made a great offer to EK. 10 mill 8 year range. He wanted to leave. Wasnt interested in signing in OTT. They lucked out. 

Yeahhh that whole debacle had to be a nightmare for their fan base..... still fun to pick on their ownership group imho :p

On 6/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, peaches5 said:

He's the best offensive dman in the league by a country mile. If he can stay healthy this is a solid deal if not its horrible. 

He is still getting some points but is arguably not even the best offensive dman on his team and cannot even hold a candle to a rookie that the Canucks have.    He has become an adventure in his own end too boot.  Was dead set against Canucks remotely interested in signing this guy.   The post-ankle EK is a shadow of the former.    Sad to see an elite talent fade so quickly.   This is an anchor contract.

• Cheers 1

Karlsson is like Quinn Hughes. They are not the best in the D zone so the trick is to get out of D zone quick and stay in the offensive zone. Karlsson's skating is not as smooth and effortless as before his injury. As with any aging player with a history of injuries, he needs retool his game especially in the D zone to compensate for his diminishing abilities. I think Alex Edler would be a good example.