The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Alexander Edler to hit the free agency market

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Jovo? did you actually watch him play :lol: good guy but he coughed up the puck spectacularly at times. 

I think his offense was steller and his ability to change the game with big hits and emotional play was the best we have seen here in Vancouver

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Trouba doesn't want to play in Canada, so trading for him is a massive waste of assets. 

Well, clearly the deal would be based on whether the Canucks know they can sign him.  Based on Trouba's play however, the Jets would understandably command a strong return when they trade him.

Just now, EternalCanuckFan said:

Well, clearly the deal would be based on whether the Canucks know they can sign him.  Based on Trouba's play however, the Jets would understandably command a strong return when they trade him.

It's a non starter though as he doesn't want to play in Canada. 

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

He can re-sign here for a deal that doesn't handcuff the team going forward and look forward to having his sweater retired and being a local hero or...he can go to a new market for a short few years and retire in obscurity. 

I agree to a certain extent, but I disagree that we would retire his jersey. And herein, I think, lies the issue atm: Eddie likely feels the same (jersey retirement-esque treatment) and is upset that management does not. 

11 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think his offense was steller and his ability to change the game with big hits and emotional play was the best we have seen here in Vancouver

Ohlund has everyone topped on that front imo. 

3 hours ago, Tom Sestito said:

I LOVED schenn down the stretch. He's still a #6-7D making over $2m.

What?

Schenn was an $800,000 one year (expiring) contract.

You pretend to dismiss all D contracts / every pro scouting move - but ironically you are (like your commments on limiting clauses) too lazy to google the facts / don't know the actual terms of players.

21 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Perhaps you are just failing to comprehend.   

Simplification - If Edler is serious about staying here, he should consider the kind of deal Chara took from Boston.  

....at the age of 41.

The two situations are not remotely comparable.

32 minutes ago, Screw said:

Sami Salo.....

Anyone remember the "balls of steel" chant for Salo after coming back after getting blasted in the junk and ruptured a nut?

Best comment from Salo to the media after that: "The General is OK, but the Battalion is down."

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

....at the age of 41.

The two situations are not remotely comparable.

True, if you believe contracts are based solely on age?  Edler's performance and health have been worse than Chara's and in decline. At Edler's current age, Chara was not in decline and was a force deserving of a better contract. Edler's health/injury status and decline in performance should result in a contract that in no way handcuffs management going forward.   

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Perhaps you are just failing to comprehend.   

Simplification - If Edler is serious about staying here, he should consider the kind of deal Chara took from Boston.  

He's 33, not 43.  people are making it out like he's completely over the hill.  He's got about 4 years of solid hockey left in him before he starts thinking about riding off into the sunset.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

By overpaying for Myers or gardiner:bigblush:

or converting “little things” to a dman 

if they don't sign Eddie, Myers is about the only option to come close to doing what Edler does.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

He's 33, not 43.  people are making it out like he's completely over the hill.  He's got about 4 years of solid hockey left in him before he starts thinking about riding off into the sunset.

But his noggin's 63! I've seen cane-trottin' Grampas with more p*ss & vinegar!

Just now, stawns said:

if they don't sign Eddie, Myers is about the only option to come close to doing what Edler does.

Which is what I expect to happen if edler takes his 60 games per year elsewhere.

i agree in that edler is a big minute man and Myers would be that replacement.

so essentially we could have an addition by subtraction scenario play out.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Maybe? The game is getting faster and faster every year. Not too many 36-37 year olds in the NHL these days. 

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

Maybe? The game is getting faster and faster every year. Not too many 36-37 year olds in the NHL these days. 

I don't buy that, necessarily.  Edler was a beast for a good chunk of the year last season and when he was out, they were awful

• Upvote 2