The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( RUMOR) Canucks Trying to move up

29 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

if It's only to 6 I don't see the point.

1st to 3rd but really after that what's the point?  Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Dach then it's literally wide open.

If anything they should look at garnering picks/prospects by weaponizing cap space at the draft on contracts with 2 years or less

Definitely agree on weaponizing the cap. We should have been doing this for awhile now. However the moving up 4 spots could ensure they get their guy. I know we look at it as interchangeable from 4 to about 12 and everybody is good. I’m sure Benning and his group have each player ranked in a specific order and the realistic and favourite target is ranked to go a little higher than 10.

This will be a draft floor deal. They will wait until Colorado picks to see if Byram is available. A conversation will be had with LA and DET if Byram is available, maybe even BUF.

Ive said this a few times and based on the draft order, I could very well see Byram going 6 or 7.

Hughes

Kakko

Turcotte

Almost certain of this

Col, La, Det, could all take Byram but from the reports ive read and the rumors out there it seems like it may go

Dach - The only way I see them passing up on a potential 2c is if they feel 16thOA and Kerfoot, Jost, Zadaror can get them a 2c via trade.

Zegras - most teams seem to covet Zegras more than anyone outside of Hughes and Kakko and LA needs a little of everything

Podkolzin - from what ive heard, they are leaning towards the Russian

This leaves Byram available at 7 potentially. We've seen what Byram can do on the ice but maybe his combine wasn't good or he interviewed poorly or simply others interviewed better. There could be a myriad of reasons that he is still available at 7. If he is there at 6 or 7, you make the call and you see what it takes. For the Canucks, Byram is a game changer based on the makeup and needs of this team.

Outside of Horvat, Pettersson, Hughes, and Boeser, everyone is available.

• Cheers 1

Wouldn't the cost of moving up to 6 be equivalent to moving up to 3 now if Byram is somehow still on the board? Don't see it being any cheaper to move upto 6 on the floor than it would be to move up to 3 now tbh.

4 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Nucks want Broberg. He won't be there at 10 for us.

I'm hoping he's gone... I'm hoping bunch of teams reach for players that are ranked 15-20. That means we will get a 4-9 ranked talent. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

1st to 3rd but really after that what's the point?  Hughes/Kakko/Byram/Dach then it's literally wide open.

If anything they should look at garnering picks/prospects by weaponizing cap space at the draft on contracts with 2 years or less

It's not impossible that Byram is there at 6. JB probs working the phones and knows a thing or two. You know Stevie wants a Russian, let him have one at 10.

48 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If Benning and his team want to move up, then that means that they have a top 10 guy in mind which is probably 3-4 on their list.    With their past records, I fully support them to go get their guy, rather than picking up whoever's left.   Of course, as long as the price is fair.

Like I posted a few times already this week.  The cost of moving 2-3-4 spot within the top 10 in the past 15 years have been a mix of 2nd and/or 3rd rounder.    I'd be fine with that.

https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1006184853182865408

Edited by timberz21

43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not a chance.  Turcotte at 3 I can see.  Byram being passed up for Dach by Colorado to ensure they have a 1-2 of Mackinnon Dach sure.  But the moment Byram lands in LA's lap Edmonton and Detroit will do everything they can to move up.

Puljujarvi 8th and 2nd round for 5th is far better than what we can offer 

Mantha and 6th for  5th is better than what we can give.

I just see no point moving up and giving up assets

Those deals aren’t even close to comparable value. 

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Not a chance.  Turcotte at 3 I can see.  Byram being passed up for Dach by Colorado to ensure they have a 1-2 of Mackinnon Dach sure.  But the moment Byram lands in LA's lap Edmonton and Detroit will do everything they can to move up.

Ummmmm are we seriously forgetting about our secret weapon? Raymond, Ballard and a 1st? :bigblush:

You're right though. We got Nothin. 

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It's not impossible that Byram is there at 6. JB probs working the phones and knows a thing or two. You know Stevie wants a Russian, let him have one at 10.

Maybe the Wings want Podkolzin, is that what you're saying?  

46 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Think you are overvaluing the cost of moving up a few spot in the top 10.