The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

( RUMOR) Canucks Trying to move up

3 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

He paced for over 50 this year and about 30 goals. He’s a proven top 6 player at the NHL level while Pulj hasn’t proven squat. Regardless of JP’s potential/pedigree I think your Detroit valuation is much greater than yours with Edmonton. 

I don't disagree with you.  he's certainly more proven.  But it's a "just for example" in regards to what others can give over the Canucks.  We cannot and should not compete with the teams ahead of us in regards to moving up as they can field far better offers

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I don't disagree with you.  he's certainly more proven.  But it's a "just for example" in regards to what others can give over the Canucks.  We cannot and should not compete with the teams ahead of us in regards to moving up as they can field far better offers

That’s fair. I think your Detroit proposal might be a slight over payment but probably close it realistic while I think the Edmonton deal undervalued it. 

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

JD Burke is on 1040 right now saying that Benning will basically do anything he can to move up and get Byram.

He said that his source told him that Detroit contacted vancouver to negotiate for the 6th overall pick

Just stating what im hearing right now - i dont particularly like JD Burke and this could all be hot air...but there seems to be a lot of smoke around the Canucks right now....

Oh god Stevie y going against jimbo is a disaster 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Sadly we are in no position to trade up unless you are giving up one of our fantastic four core pieces. Our chance to draft Byram died at the draft lotto when Chicago lucked out. It would be costly and again we just don’t have the horses to win this race unless you are planning to sell the stable. 

4 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Oh god Stevie y going against jimbo is a disaster 

I hope that the pressure from being in his last contract year in addition to being the host of the draft doesnt result in any hail mary type trades to move up.

Im trying to rationalize what is reasonable to give up - in terms of assets- to move up 4 spots, from 10th to 6th....

Maybe I wasnt playing close attention to the radio but I thought I heard Burke say Jet Woo + 10th (purely hypothetical)?  anybody else catch this?

9 minutes ago, Darius said:

JD Burke is on 1040 right now saying that Benning will basically do anything he can to move up and get Byram.

He said that his source told him that Detroit contacted vancouver to negotiate for the 6th overall pick

Just stating what im hearing right now - i dont particularly like JD Burke and this could all be hot air...but there seems to be a lot of smoke around the Canucks right now....

Jimmy plays an interesting poker game, in that it's quite certain the type of player they want but not always clear who they want, nor whether they are leaning towards D or F.  I definitely see Newhook and Zegras as forwards and Byram as the defenceman they'd target, less so Broberg on D because of the IQ factor, and apparently not overly interested in Boldy for whatever reason.

If there's any substance to it, it's far more likely trying to institute a trigger deal wherein if the player they really want over all others has slipped and they do not believe he'll make it to 10.  Otherwise, you're giving up a pretty decent asset (or more) for more certainty and from a pool where there's not a lot of consensus.  They've openly said they are exploring all avenues, which includes moving up or down, so not really anything newsworthy.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

My thought is try and move up, and be ready to tip at 6?, but if your guys is gone and you do not have another guy, but more so a group of guys, then trade down to Minni's pick and grab Zucker and the 12 OA (Seider), oh I wish...………...

That way, you get first choice at 6 OA, and if that doesn't work out you get Zucker and the 12th OA...……….

To me that is a great way to build...………..

But what is the cost of moving up in the first place?

Fenton doesn't see the need to move up because he feels that he can get at 12 the same type of player that is available at 4 or 5.   With that stance they are more likely to keep 12 and trade Zucker separately.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Darius said:

Goooooood gooood

I don't see the sense in moving up unless it's top 3 or Byram slips to 4.  Don't see CHI or NYR with an appetite to move their picks since they're both early in a rebuild. 

So what will it take to get 1st overall?

10th, Demko, Gaudette to start?

Plus more picks/roster players?

Anyhow, we hear every year about moving up and nothing ever materializes.  Can't see this year being any different even with the draft being here.

It's pretty obvious Benning is targeting Byram.  This would be a trade that happens on the floor.  If Byram is still available at 6 then Benning and Stevie Y get 15 minutes to do a deal.  That's how I see it.  If Byram is still there I'd do the 10th plus Hutton and a pick.

pettersson for nj first overall

boesser for nyr 2nd overall

and tanev + virtanen for chicago or colorado 3rd or 4th pick

and then history is made with vancouver first ever first overall and new generation of brothers.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, WishX said:

pettersson for nj first overall

boesser for nyr 2nd overall

and tanev + virtanen for chicago or colorado 3rd or 4th pick

and then history is made with vancouver first ever first overall and new generation of brothers.

:picard:          .....let me guess....you're new here right???  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Warhippy said:

There's a huge possibility that any of the "next group above" is easily there at 10.  Very easily possible.  No point moving up at all, makes no sense at all to throw away assets 

You keep saying this but if you think your guy is gone at 10 how is it a waste of assets to move up? At 10 we’re hoping Benning’s guy falls. At 6 he gets his guy. If we need to take a bad contract or move a 2nd rounder to ensure Management gets their guy do it. It’d be a waste to move up and select Seider. But not to grab one of Zegras, Boldy or whomever is coveted by management in the 6ish spot.

And there’s no telling if Byram falls to 6 and Detroit covets someone else more in the 10 spot + the trade down assets. You can’t speak for people in certainties like that. Cause we don’t know who likes what player or how highly they value said player. It does seem crazy for Detroit to pass on the best d-man when it’s their greatest need but who knows what they are thinking. 

If Byram lands in LAs lap at 5, maybe we try and outbid Edmonton/Detroit to get the pick. 10OA + 2nd 2019 + Hutton or a forward? If that works, we could try and recoup a pick in a trade with Tanev

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's pretty obvious Benning is targeting Byram.  This would be a trade that happens on the floor.  If Byram is still available at 6 then Benning and Stevie Y get 15 minutes to do a deal.  That's how I see it.  If Byram is still there I'd do the 10th plus Hutton and a pick.

I'd hope if Byram is there at 5, we try and trade with LA rather than Stevie Y. Feel like Stevie will fleece us hahah