The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

30 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You might want to do more research on your so call trend. 

His 2011-12 season he was a 16 year old playing in a men’s league. And his team was brutal. Only one player on the roster was +. 29 other players were minus. 

His 2012-13 he was a 17 year old playing not just playing in a league of men. But a lock out season were he was playing against full time NHLers. His team ended up second last in the league.

He then made the jump into the Ahl as an 18 year. He was only a -2. Big whoop. He also got called up and played in the nhl on a Sabre’s team that ended up dead last pushing for mcdavid. They finished with 21 wins. 

The 14-15 Sabre’s weren’t any better. Another dead last finish with 23 wins this time. 

In 15-16 he was 21 and he finished 10th overall in TOI. Sabre’s improved to 35 wins but still were a bottom 10 team. 

Seeing a lot of excuses here. 

Just now, The Lock said:

I can't believe there are people that would sum up a player's game just based on +/- alone. Have we really become that inept and lazy at actually seeing whether a player's good or not?

And I can't believe there are people that would overlook an alarming statistical trend just because a player is young and can put up points. Have we really become so desperate and stupid that we can't take into account a players negatives when trying to asses their value?

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

And I can't believe there are people that would overlook an alarming statistical trend just because a player is young and can put up points. Have we really become so desperate and stupid that we can't take into account a players negatives when trying to asses their value?

How is this overlooking? I've literally acknowledged that it is still a stat and it does still mean things. But using it as the end all? I think I'd rather hear Donald Trump giving an analysis of Risto at that point and would probably trust it more. lol

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I'm not really in the mood for these kinds of discussions anyway tonight so I'm going to leave it at that.

Going through a lot outside of this forum and want to keep it outside.

Fair enough. I just find it an alarming statistical trend. I'd still take a swing at Risto, as his age, size and production fit this team well, but I just take issue with the idea of selling the farm for him when an awful plus/minus seems to follow him around like a shadow. 

But this isn't the thread for this anyways. Cheers.

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Barrie, Ghost, Risto... honestly doesn’t matter which one I would just love to get one of them. I’d even take a shattenkirk or a stralman or a miller. Just SOMEONE to make our D-core better. That’s all I ask!

I want Risto....don't want the others. We already have "small body" Hughes. We can't have more little dudes......did you see what happened in the playoffs?

Come on Risto! (and stralman)

Come on JB!  I'm bored.....DO SOMETHING!

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

Barrie, Ghost, Risto... honestly doesn’t matter which one I would just love to get one of them. I’d even take a shattenkirk or a stralman or a miller. Just SOMEONE to make our D-core better. That’s all I ask!

I’d take Ghost out of the bunch. He had a down year last year but is probably the best offensively out of the bunch. He’s gunna be the most expensive but worth it IMO. If we’re gunna do it let’s do it right. 

Do you think Jim might sign a guy like Jordie Benn 31, 6'2 Victoria guy might sign a home discount? Averaged 18 mins of ice time ...

I would think modified trade list of 10-14 team maybe sign for 2.5 - 3 million Dollar range?? 

2 hours ago, The_Rocket said:

I’ll take the one who is 6’4 with an edge. I want him on the Canucks by Friday.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I rather have Risto than Barrie simply down to size. Both are offensively gifted.... sure, Barrie maybe a better D-man in terms of +/-.... but how many teams out there would ice 3 D-men under 6 ft? Probably less than 3!

Exactly and younger and a better cap hit once Barrie signs.  Better in every way.

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

No thanks.  We need more size on the back end if we ever want to make an impact in the playoffs.

We need better players if we ever want to make the playoffs

Edited by mpt
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

Do you think Jim might sign a guy like Jordie Benn 31, 6'2 Victoria guy might sign a home discount? Averaged 18 mins of ice time ...

I would think modified trade list of 10-14 team maybe sign for 2.5 - 3 million Dollar range?? 

We have so many 3rd pairing D we don't need another. So...no thanks and hopefully JB doesn't do that......or sign more bottom 6 forwards.....we have boatloads of both.

• Cheers 1