The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks aggressively pursuing Tyson Barrie

Just now, Kanukfanatic said:

That is definitely better than us giving up next years first.

It's still a fairly steep price since those are two young players that the Canucks have been developing but it wouldn't hurt as much as giving up the 2020 1st since there would be no 1st coming back to the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Maketherightmove said:

What are you talking about? More like if the Avs get Byram the trade will be made.

2 minutes ago, Yung1 said:

oof. Thats starting to make this sound like a trade that involves Horvat. Scary.

@Yung1 think it’s like 2010 Ballard trade. Depending on who available. If it bynam there trading Barrie and if bynam is not there then there not trading barrie

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

So if they get Byram they think Barrie is more expendable... or they see what forward they get and what other forward position they want back.

Makes sense... I hope the sea from Jim gets worse if he has to wait and not make other deals... it will be Sakic on the clock with the pressure  then.

Essentially yes. Maybe they want a forward tho and this is a ploy. They already have Girard, Makar, and Timmins.

I think we'll get Barrie, I don't think it will cost what everyone is speculating that it would cost. If is Virtanen and our 2020 1st, I can live with that, our 1st next year should be more into the middle of the pack, candy Barrie and a couple of other smart moves and we're in playoffs again. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, babalu said:

I don't think we should be trading firsts personally. I would mind trading down to 16. We could end up having injuries next year and that pick could be top 10 again.

fortune favours the bold. you'll never get anywhere if you're always afraid, asking "but what if ... ?" and playing for tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, BPA said:

What if Sakic doesn't want it to be lottery protected?

No. Remember the razzing the Sens took all last year. Combine that with Canuck Luck and no way. The only time we will win a lottery is when we dont own the pick. Is what it is. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If there's a 1st involved, it HAS to be lottery protected.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of coughing up a 1st at all. What happened to "build through the draft"?

The kids on here all got excited at the prospect of getting a new toy today.  

I'd love Barrie but not at the expense of next year's 1st, protected or not.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

If there's a 1st involved, it HAS to be lottery protected.

Honestly, I don't like the idea of coughing up a 1st at all. What happened to "build through the draft"?

Exactly.  Only way id trade our 1st is in a bigger trade where the other teams 1st is also involved so we move up or down in the 1st

IMO trading 1sts is an option only elite teams gunning for a cup should consider.  Our team isnt in a position to risk losing top end 1st round talent.

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

When you have opportunity to get a 27 yr old top pair RHD who puts up 50 or 60 Pts you give up the 1st. 

Virtanen was a top 10 pick so was OJ.

Barrie is what we hope OJ would one day become. He still might but odds aren't great that you get a top pair D with a 1st.