The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Finnish rink size is 200 ft long 92/93 ft wide.   

It's not too big like Olympic but  bigger than NHL rinks. Which are 85 ft wide. 

I think NHL teams should switch to 90 ft wide size but it'll never happen. 

Taking out seats,  teams lose revenue then there the ice sheet which needs to be expanded and that infrastructure  would be a big cost.   I listened to Brian Burke talk  about it many times. He's a big proponent of changing it to 90 ft wide.  

He said new rinks should be made to have ice 90 ft wide. Vegas should have and now Seattle.  Moving forward every time a team builds a new arena it would be with wider ice.  That's the best way. Or owners just won't do it.

I'd rather lose a few rows of higher revenue seating to keep the whole building sold out. Would make the game a lot faster and wide open i think.. meh.. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, iceman64 said:

So because Bure was russian he sucked? Almo the same? 

We didn't draft mogilny.  We almost didn't draft Bure.  Out of all the Russians this club has ever drafted.

Bure

Nedved

Larionov

That's it.  That's all the success we've ever had with Russians.  In almost 50 years.

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

We didn't draft mogilny.  We almost didn't draft Bure.  Out of all the Russians this club has ever drafted.

Bure

Nedved

Larionov

That's it.  That's all the success we've ever had with Russians.  In almost 50 years.

Cough... cough ..  Nedved is Czech.  He joked at his draft that he was the second best Czeck in the draft.  

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stierlitz said:

Very popular Russian newspaper Izvestia published an article two days ago which was related to the Podkolzin's contract in the KHL. This is expected that the NHL is not going to participate in the Winter Olympic Games 2022. SKA club prepared contract extensions for their young promising players until 2022 to make sure those players would be able to take part in the next Olympic Games. Podkolzin is included in this list, he will be 20 by that time.

https://www.championat.com/hockey/news-3803593-ishmatov---ob-iniciative-ska-vazhno-uderzhat-kak-mozhno-bolshe-silnyh-hokkeistov.html (in Russian).

This means that he might be coming to Canucks one year later than anticipated.

Would he really delay the start of his career just to play in the Olympics?

Also no guarantees he’ll be good enough to make that team at age 20.

Not too concerned about that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Very popular Russian newspaper Izvestia published an article two days ago which was related to the Podkolzin's contract in the KHL. This is expected that the NHL is not going to participate in the Winter Olympic Games 2022. SKA club prepared contract extensions for their young promising players until 2022 to make sure those players would be able to take part in the next Olympic Games. Podkolzin is included in this list, he will be 20 by that time.

https://www.championat.com/hockey/news-3803593-ishmatov---ob-iniciative-ska-vazhno-uderzhat-kak-mozhno-bolshe-silnyh-hokkeistov.html (in Russian).

This means that he might be coming to Canucks one year later than anticipated.

Sure hope not... 

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Would he really delay the start of his career just to play in the Olympics?

Also no guarantees he’ll be good enough to make that team at age 20.

Not too concerned about that.

JUST the Olympics huh :lol:

If NHL players aren't going and Podkolzin adjusts to the KHL well (which I hope our 10th overall pick would by his 3rd year) then I'd say there's a decent chance he makes the team.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

JUST the Olympics huh :lol:

If NHL players aren't going and Podkolzin adjusts to the KHL well (which I hope our 10th overall pick would by his 3rd year) then I'd say there's a decent chance he makes the team.

If he’s as good as we hope then he’ll have many chances to play in the Olympics.

Doubt he’d make the decision based just on the olympics.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Googlie said:

Apologies if this has been posted already. - just got an alert notification:

How the hell did we luck into this guy....!

He drives the net like a 21-22 year old Bo but has the hands of Goldy (at a minimum ) and the shot of EP.

I sure hope we can get him here a year from now...I am sure he will be ready by then....and we will be not only in the playoffs but a force to be reckoned with...!

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2019 at 8:49 PM, Warhippy said:

Bure

Nedved

Larionov

So that means something to players moving forward?   It's not like they are all related or that a new player will say "Canucks have poor success with Russians so I won't be successful there".   That's like saying the Canucks haven't had success with Australian players and if the best player available at their next draft slot is Australian they pass for that reason.....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/18/2019 at 10:27 PM, DeNiro said:

If he’s as good as we hope then he’ll have many chances to play in the Olympics.

Doubt he’d make the decision based just on the olympics.

The Nucks could let him participate on their own w/o league approval.  Just ''demote' him to the AHL for the Olympics and let him go.  

He would be a rookie and not subject to waivers.  This should be easy and in Podz interest and good for his development.  

That way he doesn't get roped into an extension for 2-3 years like Trymakin