The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

I think his floor is Jannik Hansen. At the very least we're getting a very good third line lion on the ice. Ceiling is much higher and could become a 1st line winger if he develops his game. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, austy said:

Interesting take here. 

This was a great video and take on Pods skills. Lots of raw skill and aggression.  I can see him being an absolute hound when he gets to the Canucks. Hopefully we see a steady incline so he can slide into the lineup in a year or two.

• Upvote 2

Podkolzin was my second choice after boldy for what was available, super happy to have one of the highly skilled and hard nosed forwards in the system. Looking forward to seeing him playing hard night in and night out for the canucks, making teams that passed on him look foolish come playoff time. 

This is 4 months old but I really like this guys videos. He is with future considerations.

I love the pod pick. I know Jim always nails these ones. Jim's only subpar pick was Jake. He had just arrived and probably didn't want to steal any of Boston's guys since he left that summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RomanP said:

He gave his first reaction to Russian journalists: https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Hokkej/NHL/spbnews_NI1038652_Vasilij_Podkolzin_Obrastu_masom_i_prijedu_v_Vankuver_maksimalno_gotovym

Here's my translation: "I'm very happy that Vancouver selected me. I'll be following the coach's directions. Planning to grow some meat on my bones over the next 2 years while playing against men, and after that I'll get here maximum ready. In general, it doesn't really matter that Vancouver didn't have many Russian players in the last 20 years. I really want to try myself in NHL, win something with the team. My skating is not very good, so I'll be working on in the next two years".

"

In 2 years, Canucks will have a few more Russians (Goldobin, Tree, Zaitsev, etc) to make the transition easier.  

LOL

Work on his shot after every practice. Learn to get to offensive area in front of net to get more shots on net are 2 things he needs to work on from what i see. 

He's got a great motor lots of hustle and speed and skill..

Like kb3 said...shots shots shots shots shots shots. 

With VP now a Canuck maybe if Brock doesn't want to sign/ reach a deal.....trade brock for tarasenko???...I know he just won a cup and I don't know what a deal would look like but he is signed for acouple more seasons iirc

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think his floor is Jannik Hansen. At the very least we're getting a very good third line lion on the ice. Ceiling is much higher and could become a 1st line winger if he develops his game. 

In fairness if he could skate like Jannik Hansen he'd have been top 3

If Jannik Hansen had size and hands like Pod-Goal-Zin he'd have gone top 2 rounds

Won't complain though if he can produce like Hansen did in his peak on a year by year basis

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I like how he says his skating isn't very good and it's something he wants to work on.

That's one of the criticisms of his game. He needs and bit more explosiveness and and lateral agility. His straight forward speed is great however.

A player that is able to identify their weaknesses rather than get defensive are more likely to improve those aspects. I still remember when Gaunce thought his skating wasn't a problem and did little to improve it. Look where that got him.

I'm actually shocked that skating is a weakness of a Russian pick.  I remember growing up our coaches trying desperately to teach us the "Russian system" of skating because it was so damned fluid

very happy with the pick!

His on ice pressure will cause turnovers, just like burr did for hank and danny.

Pavel's got to help him out with his skating, and Alex can talk to him about how to reach 76. 

Igor can help with the agent stuff, and maybe trymankin and vasily could be moving buddies after expansion.

sergi and fedor could revel about their point leading comrade...

semenov can do video review on how not to fight in north america from another comrade...

namestnakov ans sharifijanov can lay out the plan ahead signs...

chubarovs time as 4th in points by russians for us is running out

krutov can be the interventioned dietition.

and we better get him longer than nemcheenov and teeziekov....

so many more russians in our history here...

https://thehockeywriters.com/from-russia-with-love-all-time-russians-for-canucks/

this is no krutov... this is heart and power, with better skating improvement than bo.

Edited by TheRocket18
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm actually shocked that skating is a weakness of a Russian pick.  I remember growing up our coaches trying desperately to teach us the "Russian system" of skating because it was so damned fluid

He's being hard on himself. It's not really a weakness, it's actually one of his strengths.

The fact that he wants to work on part of his game that is already pretty good is encouraging however. It's like when Hughes said he wanted to improve his skating after last season. High end players are always looking to improve every aspect of their games, even ones that are already very solid.

• Cheers 1