The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

25 minutes ago, mll said:

Russia is icing their U20 team to the displeasure of the other teams.  It's a men tournament.  The Czech have invited 8 x U20 players.  Sweden and Finland have no U20 players on their squad.  Their U20 (and U18) players were supposed to play exhibition games in Malmö but they have been cancelled due to a couple of positive Covid-19 cases on the Swedish team.  Persson was going to participate.  

Which I can understand from the other countries POV because they don't want to be humiliated, but considering Russia is not part of the U20 tourney like the Swedes and Fins are, this is their only major tourney for a tune up before the WJC.  Which is even more crucial for Podkolzin considering he had been getting a serious mix bag of ice times in the KHL and VHL.

I cannot remember correctly but I think  generally Russia would also play in North America against the CHL's top prospects before the WJC, and also team USA's National Developmental Program, but with COVID, i assume all those are cancelled.  So leaving them this one and I believe one more European circuit tourney (albeit depending on Covid again).

Yes very disappointing to not have Persson be able to play due to the covid issue in their U20 tourney.  But definitely sounds like he is on their radar, but a huge missed opportunity for Persson to make even more of a name for himself. 

8 hours ago, aGENT said:

And very 'un-Finnish' as well...

First of all other sports wouldn't permit this, you don't send your boys team along to play the senior team. Second it's an insult and third the other countries will remember this for a long time

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly, teams are upset they have to play another team. I don't get it.

As the Finnish coach said, who cares, it's like forcing a high school team to play an elementary school. The players are not caring in fact I'm surprised some didn't suddenly become injured, It's a farce this is not about Podkolzin it's about a slap to the face of the other countries by the Russians. This no longer  about goals and and skill this is Russian politics at it's worse:picard:

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Certainly highlights the difference in level of play between the KHL and the other Euro leagues when a Russian U20 team dominates men's teams from other countries.

But according to some the KHL is a bum league, worse then the AHL