The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

His impact on the forward core will be similar to what Hughes did for our defence. It will be like having another Motte at the top end of our lineup driving the forecheck and making that little bit of extra space for guys like Pettersson and Boeser to capitalize on. The Burrows comparison is a great one. He'll be a great complement in the top 6 and be a play driver on the lower lines if we need him to be.

Imagine a shutdown line of Motte - Horvat - Podkolzin in 2 years. Yikes.

Having guys like Bo and Pod playing a defensive role with Motte would be such a waste of two great players. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, drummerboy said:

Having guys like Bo and Pod playing a defensive role with Motte would be such a waste of two great players. 

I'm not saying it would be a full time line but it would be a great option to have if some other more offensively inclined prospects pan out. I still think Motte has 20G/20A potential.

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Motte - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Gaudette - Lind

Spreads out the scoring and gives us 3 lines with offensive potential.

On 11/30/2020 at 7:28 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Did a little snooping on the guy behind that Podkolzin article:

image.png.5c56bd31531c75a94638b44deae489e7.png

So, he's a "Media Officer" for the Russian Ice Hockey Federation. Hmm...

Wonder where his loyalties lie? With the kid who's refusing to extend his contract in Russia? Or with SKA (AKA Putin's favourite hockey club)?

Not that I'd ever accuse him of bias. ;) 

Mikhail looks like quite the heartbreaker too:

7095.jpeg.066bb370f36809ac12b0b3f29c09d6ad.jpeg

Sorry, I know I really shouldn't make fun of a guy's appearance, but yikes, that's a bad pic! :lol:

EDIT: Can't say I'm a fan of Mikhail Zislis's journalism, but I did like his earlier work as an actor. His portrayal of Vic Mackey in The Shield was particularly memorable. He should go back to the bald look, though. Suited him better. ;) 

His appearance and the quality of his article match. Yeah, that's mean but idc. 

1 hour ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I'm not saying it would be a full time line but it would be a great option to have if some other more offensively inclined prospects pan out. I still think Motte has 20G/20A potential.

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Motte - Horvat - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Gaudette - Lind

Spreads out the scoring and gives us 3 lines with offensive potential.

Motte is 25 years old.  
He isn’t going to all of a sudden turn into a 40+ point guy.  That’s more than double his best ever.  

Top 6 is for scoring goals.  
Putting a 3-4 liner in the top 6 is Linden Vey style. 

A winning team doesn’t put that kind of player in the top 6.  2 years from now when we should be competing, that would be sad. 

2 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Motte is 25 years old.  
He isn’t going to all of a sudden turn into a 40+ point guy.  That’s more than double his best ever.  

Top 6 is for scoring goals.  
Putting a 3-4 liner in the top 6 is Linden Vey style. 

A winning team doesn’t put that kind of player in the top 6.  2 years from now when we should be competing, that would be sad. 

Tell that to William Karlsson. His best ever output was 25 points in 81 games (turned 24 in this season) before going to Vegas and putting up 78 in 81 games (he settled back down to about a 55-60 point player the next two seasons, but that's still more than double his output after being giving the opportunity for a bigger role). Not saying this will happen for Motte, but sometimes it just works out. Motte did have 56 points in 38 games in his final college year. Now that can be attributed to good linemates, but that could be what Horvat and Podkolzin (in this example) would provide for him to produce.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Tell that to William Karlsson. His best ever output was 25 points in 81 games (turned 24 in this season) before going to Vegas and putting up 78 in 81 games (he settled back down to about a 55-60 point player the next two seasons, but that's still more than double his output after being giving the opportunity for a bigger role). Not saying this will happen for Motte, but sometimes it just works out. Motte did have 56 points in 38 games in his final college year. Now that can be attributed to good linemates, but that could be what Horvat and Podkolzin (in this example) would provide for him to produce.

Ok.  You’re right.  It does happen Once every.........200 players?   
Let’s bank in that.   

In 2 years, all the bad contracts are gone, our young superstars are hitting full stride, and we will have a ton of cap. 

I like Motte, but if he is in our top 6 at that point, this team is dog Pooh.  

I have a lot more faith in our management than that. 

30 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Ok.  You’re right.  It does happen Once every.........200 players?   
Let’s bank in that.   

In 2 years, all the bad contracts are gone, our young superstars are hitting full stride, and we will have a ton of cap. 

I like Motte, but if he is in our top 6 at that point, this team is dog Pooh.  

I have a lot more faith in our management than that. 

If he's in our top 6 at that point, that means something worked to earn him that spot. No reason to believe that we would be in a bad spot if he earned the spot.

There are surely other examples, like Burrows and even Kesler was labelled a 3rd line center. The point is you don't write it off so quickly. Motte may never be that guy and the odds are against him, but same could've been said about Karlsson and CBJ may never have unleashed that potential.

Motte being a 40 point 3rd liner isn't outrageous either.

53 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

If he's in our top 6 at that point, that means something worked to earn him that spot. No reason to believe that we would be in a bad spot if he earned the spot.

There are surely other examples, like Burrows and even Kesler was labelled a 3rd line center. The point is you don't write it off so quickly. Motte may never be that guy and the odds are against him, but same could've been said about Karlsson and CBJ may never have unleashed that potential.

Motte being a 40 point 3rd liner isn't outrageous either.

It’s not unheard of, or outrageous, BUT

For a cup competing team, those over achievers are your 3rd liners.  
We need a real top 6.  
Miller, Petey, Brock, Bo.  All top 6.  

Pearson, decent, but not a solidifying top 6. 
Over achieving Motto. Not a true top 6. 

Edited by drummerboy

54 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

It’s not unheard of, or outrageous, BUT

For a cup competing team, those over achievers are your 3rd liners.  
We need a real top 6.  
Miller, Petey, Brock, Bo.  All top 6.  

Pearson, decent, but not a solidifying top 6. 
Over achieving Motto. Not a true top 6. 

Not sure why everything has to be so black and white and certain players are restricted. So if Motte has some untapped potential that is unleashed by being with good top 6 players then it's a detriment? I guess we didn't win a championship in 2011 because Burrows was overachieving in our top 6? And Vegas hasn't won because Karlsson shouldn't be in the top 6?

Motte has shown he can produce on a top line in college when given the minutes and quality linemates. Perhaps his endless motor helps keep pressure in the offensive zone allowing the more skilled players to do their thing. The reason why Burrows was successful with the Sedins wasn't because he was the most skilled player (we tried more skilled players with the Sedins and it didn't work), it was because he was able to retrieve the puck to let the Sedins do their thing and he developed the chemistry to play their game. Burrows similarly in his last year of junior was the third best offensive player on his team, so he likely produced his numbers with good linemates (much like he did with the Sedins), but he showed he was capable to mesh with skilled players. 

Of course we would want "top 6" guys to be top 6 players, but you'll never know what untapped potential Motte could have if you don't try. The most likely scenario is that he's indeed a bottom 6 player, but I just don't think we have to dismiss the idea so quickly and be so closed minded about it.

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Man, imagine having to deal with a top six that has him, Bo, and Miller in it. Man. They all play such a hardworking, relentless game. Petey too. 

To say he battles is a huge understatement. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Man, imagine having to deal with a top six that has him, Bo, and Miller in it. Man. They all play such a hardworking, relentless game. Petey too. 

To say he battles is a huge understatement. 

its going to be relentless on the nights all our guys are on their game. Don't forget, after the top 6 they have to deal with lines with Motte+Rooster and then Beagle+MacEwan on them.

And who knows, maybe Hawyrluk is a hidden gem in the making too. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Hmm Podkolzin is listed recently at 6'4" 203 lbs

https://www.eliteprospects.com/team/1651/russia-u20

6 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, that was what the KHL website was saying, but SKA's website (and everywhere else) has him @ ~6'1" (still 200lbs though)

On the KHL website he is listed as 192 cm which is just under 6’4”.

I thought it was a mistake too, but that’s two sources now claiming that height.

So either Elitelrospects is simply referencing the KHL websites incorrect height, or the other sites have it wrong.

Just from the eye test he doesn’t look 6’4” to me. Maybe if they measure him on skates...

14 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Yeah, that was what the KHL website was saying, but SKA's website (and everywhere else) has him @ ~6'1" (still 200lbs though)

Some Russian sites have him at 192 cm which is 6'3", like this one:

https://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Hokkej/Vasilij_Podkolzin_Khokkej_24062001

The VHL site listed him at 192 cm as well: https://www.vhlru.ru/players/30659/

I believe 6'3" is the correct number, many sites just provide old, outdated info.

Edited by Stierlitz