The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vasily Podkolzin | #92 | RW

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

even if that turns Podz into a 10.2(c) RFA?

So we’d get one year and five games on a 2 year entry deal.

but it’s good because he won’t be eligible to get offer sheeted is that really a realistic concern for him?

so instead of two full season at a bargain you get one year then he’s still an RFA that’ll demand more salary/cap 
makes zero sense for him to play here this season.fingers crossed Russia selects him and takes our moron out of the mix. 

3 minutes ago, combover said:

but it’s good because he won’t be eligible to get offer sheeted is that really a realistic concern for him?

so instead of two full season at a bargain you get one year then he’s still an RFA that’ll demand more salary/cap 
makes zero sense for him to play here this season.fingers crossed Russia selects him and takes our moron out of the mix. 

Moron is right. It’s 3 years 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I want him over right away for a few reasons:

-Peace of mind, I want to know he will be on the team next year and no re sign in Russia.

-Burning the year of ELC means he signs his next deal a year earlier.  I feel we get better value locking a guy up after 2 years than 3 in the league.

-I may be overly optimistic, but I think we have a good shot at getting back in the playoff race.  10 points out with 2 games in hand and a much easier schedule that MTL.  I think it goes 1 of two ways- Covid has taken a toll on the team, and after a rough start we limp to the finish, or the 3 weeks off allow us to heal injuries, get some rest and get on a bit of a roll.  Adding a guy like Podkolzin won't hurt our chances.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not sure why we're debating this? It sounds like it's largely a foregone conclusion he's going to the Worlds and won't be available regardless of what we'd prefer.

Exactly... we can’t get him signed until May... throw in the quarantine and it’s physically impossible to get him over for some games. 

37 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Angry irritated people need something negative to talk about.

Me? I'm just stoked to have him. Winger version of Horvat? Yes please.

Yes, his board work totally reminded me of Bo, very confident, good passing decisions. Like a bull. Actually he looks a bit ahead of Bo at 19.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Yes, his board work totally reminded me of Bo, very confident, good passing decisions. Like a bull. Actually he looks a bit ahead of Bo at 19.

Totally. Not sure whether to have them play together or split the wealth and have him with Petey but either way it's a great problem to have.

Also, both absolute playoff studs leading their teams.

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, combover said:

Having full control for his bridge deal would be worth it

• Upvote 2

Lots of good reasons to sign him if we can. Other than what’s already been stated:

Anchoring - sign him, the gesture gives him an NHL paycheque and is a solid move to anchor him with the org

Planning - in this cap world there are a ton of things to weigh. Seeing how he looks and may fit in the group will play a huge part in what we do in the offseason for trades, signings. Gotta know what we have before we commit for the future. 
- Fan engagement/ excitement. We all want to see him. We pay the bills. Nothing like being excited for the next season. 

That said I have a feeling we won’t be able to due to the worlds. I am hoping Russia passes on him. 

Edited by zapperman

1 hour ago, zapperman said:

Lots of good reasons to sign him if we can. Other than what’s already been stated:

Anchoring - sign him, the gesture gives him an NHL paycheque and is a solid move to anchor him with the org

Planning - in this cap world there are a ton of things to weigh. Seeing how he looks and may fit in the group will play a huge part in what we do in the offseason for trades, signings. Gotta know what we have before we commit for the future. 
- Fan engagement/ excitement. We all want to see him. We pay the bills. Nothing like being excited for the next season. 

That said I have a feeling we won’t be able to due to the worlds. I am hoping Russia passes on him. 

I hope that if they do select him they actually give him some decent minutes

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Exactly... we can’t get him signed until May... throw in the quarantine and it’s physically impossible to get him over for some games. 

Not physically impossible at all.  If there was really motivation from both sides, he could he in Vancouver tomorrow serving his quarantine while waiting on the Russian team decision.... and then be ready to play in 2 weeks when his KHL deal expires (or even have them release him early).

He could get in for 10 of our last 19 games which is pretty significant to test the waters and have our staff take a look at him.

I don’t see a ton of urgency on either side to get that done though.

Edited by Provost

Well the Podz watch begins. I’m hoping he signs ASAP. We will get to see how he adjusts to the NHL and how his game and overall play looks. With Gaudette gone, maybe this is the next step JB takes and signs this kid to a ELC. After Boeser, Virtanen, and Lind (if he gets some games), our RW depth is very shallow. I really think Podz will take this team to new heights. Go Podz!

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Not physically impossible at all.  If there was really motivation from both sides, he could he in Vancouver tomorrow serving his quarantine while waiting on the Russian team decision.... and then be ready to play in 2 weeks when his KHL deal expires (or even have them release him early).

He could get in for 10 of our last 19 games which is pretty significant to test the waters and have our staff take a look at him.

I don’t see a ton of urgency on either side to get that done though.

Unless the Russian team decides to include him on their roster in which case he isn't available to play for us until the end of May.

I want him to be over here and playing for us as soon as possible but this World Championship loophole for Russia is really throwing a wrench in things. I'd love it if they just gave him permission to come here and quit dragging this out.

Really hoping Aquaman just OKs Benning to pay whatever bribe Russia needs to make this happen ASAP.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, playing the worlds for Russia will probably be a better experience than platooning in to the going show, compacted schedule in a f'd season, that we're going to see here.

That's a very fair point. Not sure how this is all going to play out in the short term but one thing I feel I can say with certainty, is that in the long term, it's going to be a pleasure watching him play on this team

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Unless the Russian team decides to include him on their roster in which case he isn't available to play for us until the end of May.

I want him to be over here and playing for us as soon as possible but this World Championship loophole for Russia is really throwing a wrench in things. I'd love it if they just gave him permission to come here and quit dragging this out.

Really hoping Aquaman just OKs Benning to pay whatever bribe Russia needs to make this happen ASAP.

That wasn’t what was being responded to.  The comment was that it was physically impossible for him to serve his quarantine and be able to play for us before our season ended.

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, playing the worlds for Russia will probably be a better experience than platooning in to the going show, compacted schedule in a f'd season, that we're going to see here.

Sitting in the stands watching the likes of Roussel and Eriksson would not be a happy prospect for Podkolzin.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

That wasn’t what was being responded to.  The comment was that it was physically impossible for him to serve his quarantine and be able to play for us before our season ended.

You're right it is technically possible to have him play for us this season, depending on the World Championship factor