The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

This is it right here & whoever disagrees with this is wrong regardless of what they say. This is the reality of the trade.

So let’s hope we don’t get &^@#ed in the ass and make the playoffs this season for our sake :) 

Concur in isolation its no good.

Inquiry though, what if JB makes another trade from VGK something like:

VGK receives: <something>

VAN receives: Clarkson (5.25m dump), Colin Miller, <draft pick>

where maybe that draft pick is a 2nd, if we give them a Leivo in return maybe a conditional first ? Would something like that put the first trade into a better light in the now ?

He reminds me of Brayden Schenn. A lot of people on here recently were all over the idea of acquiring Brayden Schenn from St. Louis after they saw the impact he had in the playoffs. J.T Miller plays the same sort of game. We are much better position today to make a playoff run. 

People on here also seem to forget that we were almost a playoff team last year. Pouliot and Gudbranson IMO were responsible for almost every defensive breakdown last season. It was really frustrating watching them screw up time and time again. When Edler and Tanev were healthy we were a good team. 

Hoglander and Podkolzin could become good top 6 wingers. 

We still have more trades to make or more free agents to sign 

I think its clear Benning is fixing holes on this team and setting us up to be playoff ready

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Pickly said:

The top 6 is more balanced after this deal which is needed. Hopefully we can get Sutter and/or Eriksson off the books somehow to shed some deadweight. I’m just so curious as to how we make the D better. I really hope Jimbo doesn’t sign Gardiner or Myers to albatross deals. 

Would be a better idea then significantly overpaying for a mediocre 2nd liner

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

Well every player drafted at 10 has been a bust until you go back all the way to Selanne.  Only 1 player drafted at 10 has turned into a decent NHLer

Rantanen?

And alright Podkolzin is a bust now sweet. He was one of the players I wanted the least but I'm warming up to it a little bit. 

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You seem to be under the impression that if we always kept our full stock of picks we'd somehow be better.

In reality moat teams build contenders through many different avenues including trading first round picks. You're unlikely to get anywhere simply sitting on picks and never making trades to improve your team.

But man the 2020 draft should be 2015 like. Even if that pick is 15-20 there's a chance to get a really good player. Like a player that might go top 10 in other years. And one that plays sooner than later even.

If it was an average draft it would be easier to swallow but this is going to be a great draft & now we won't pick in the 1st. 

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Get real, Boeser for Zucker would be moronic, which is why that trade has not and will not happen. Quit crying. 

Trading a 1st round pick when you've missed the playoffs 4 years in a row is a valid concern. 

7 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I mean, I get that people care. But at the end of the day, it's just sports. Trades you don't like happen, and they're always going to happen regardless of the management group and players involved. It's part of being a fan of a team, what's the point in letting it ruin your day and going into a blind rage? There isn't one. It's a lot more fun to discuss the trade for it's positives and negatives rather than overwhelming upset s---posting.

That's not really directed at you either, because I know you know how to talk hockey. It's just part of CDC that I don't like.

Yeah your right. First reaction is always going to be emotional for most diehards, especially when its something you don't like. That is a problem with CDC & message boards. (or the internet in general)

Good point, good perspective. I'm gunna try to get past the emotion now. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Miller prefers playing centre over wing so it likely means Sutter is on his way out.   2 years from now, slot Podkolzin on Horvats wing and we have a beast line and a sniper line.   

Pearson - Horvat - X

Baertschi - Petterson - Boeser

Leivo - Miller - Virtanen

Roussel - Beagle - Granlund/Motte

IMO, unless Miller is playing on an outstandingly good team, he's too good to be a 3rd line player. I think he gets a long hard look in the top 6.

• Like 1

Another thought: does Virtanen get pushed out and looked at as a piece to move now? I think they're still very patient with him, but maybe there's something more in the works there? How does this affect our other pieces, like Sutter or anyone else who's a little older than the upcoming core?

I think Miller is a great player. My only wish is that those assets were directed towards acquiring a defenseman which i think is a bigger issue for us than our forward group. I don’t mean PK either as the 9 mill cap is not something we need.

Regarding Miller there is no doubt our top 6 just for much better. If you appreciate Horvat you will appreciate Miller. 

I just hope that we can find a way to use our depth of middle six guys or cap space to bring in a RD.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Can someone pls explain how Mazanec is still under contract with us?? How could we include him in this deal?

all players are under contract until July 1rst at that moment the year runs out and in this case Mazanec becomes UFA.

Edited by goblix
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

Another thought: does Virtanen get pushed out and looked at as a piece to move now? I think they're still very patient with him, but maybe there's something more in the works there? How does this affect our other pieces, like Sutter or anyone else who's a little older than the upcoming core?

Sutter should have been gone yesterday 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

There’s a difference between entitled to your own opinion and being a complaining-B Debbie-downer.

Well i would show some positivity when JB gives us a reason to.  Otherwise i’m just a realist

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, mpt said:

Would be a better idea then significantly overpaying for a mediocre 2nd liner

Meh. I’ve actually liked Miller for a long time and he plays a style that the Canucks need in their top 6. He’s big, physical, and isn’t afraid to muck it up. Plus, playing regular top 6 minutes should help inflate his stats. I’m not happy about the conditional 1st, but it is what it is. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1