The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

8 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

We’ve been the worst record team for 4 years.

Trading away a future lottery pick for a 2nd liner is borderline stupid and ballsy especially when you consider our defense is sound at best. 

Yes this trade is about JB wanting to save his ass and if it doesn’t work, it’s not his problem anymore. 

If you don't agree with the trade that's fine but to say we're trading away a lottery pick is asinine. You have no idea what that pick will be, nobody does. JB is betting on our being better and I'll be surprised if we aren't. We're not done making moves and we were in the mix last season, we could have made it if not for injuries and that losing streak.  

• Cheers 1

This player and salary cap is not the issue.

The more important need on defence has not been addressed. Given what was delivered on the P.K. Subban trade, that is what the focus ought to have been. 

The Canucks blew their first on a top 6 winger. That would have been fine if we didn’t have this disaster on defence.

Don’t rely on July 1. There will be no top end defencemen available and all those average ones will be way over paid.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

By that brilliant logic we should trade all our picks away every year. 

Is the rebuild over as it was in Toronto according to you when they traded their 1st?

Is this a epic fail as it was in Toronto, according to you if the Canucks don't advance past the 1st round once giving up their 1st rounder?

You’re right your logic is better, don’t make any trades to improve the team at all, let’s only ice players that have been drafted by the Canucks 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I think Miller is a good solid player and a useful piece (although his playoff stats are appalling), however he should not be a piece you mortgage the future for especially when you’ve been a bottom 5 team for the last 4 years and you’re still not close. It’s just a completely ridiculous move, and I’ve been a JB defender, but to give up a first and third when you could very well be a lottery team still in 2021 is Ottawa level bad. 

Umm.....

The Canucks finished 9th last and only 9pts out of a playoff spot.

5 more wins and we’re in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Something does not compute at how Vancouver values players especially to comparables in terms of offense and position

Gustav Nyquist - cost San Jose a 2nd and 3rd

Wayne Simmonds - Hartman + 4th

Mark Stone - prospect + player + 2nd 

Nino Niederreiter -bottom 6 forward

Something does not compute when all things considered

It’s not an apples to apples comparison when you’re comparing rentals to a guy signed for 4 years at a reasonable price.

Just now, grandmaster said:

This player and salary cap is not the issue.

The more important need on defence has not been addressed. Given what was delivered on the P.K. Subban trade, that is what the focus ought to have been. 

The Canucks blew their first on a top 6 winger. That would have been fine if we didn’t have this disaster on defence.

Don’t rely on July 1. There will be no top end defencemen available and all those average ones will be way over paid.

PK Subban ship has sailed here acquiring him 2-3 years ago would be fine but not now and not at over 7mil per. 

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Tampa just potentially bought themselves a lottery pick in 2021 and a likely early 3rd rounder for an expendable third liner. They’re a fantastically run franchise. 

Yeah man, expendable third liners put up 56, 58, and 47 points right? That's what they do. They grow on trees right? Just super expendable. Every team has third liners who puts up 161 points in their last 239 games. Just stop posting if it's going to be uneducated please. 

I'm glad you can also see into the future, and know the NHL landscape will be the exact same as it is in two years. I'm glad you know the Canucks cannot get better, teams around can't worse, no transactions will ever be made, that their young players like Bo, Brock and Petey won't improve, and adding a top 4 D in Hughes and top 6 player in Miller won't improve them. Thank you so for much for telling me the future. I'm glad to know that not only are first round picks guaranteed success, it's also going to be a lottery pick.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

@DeNiro @oldnews @ others who are so for this trade and willing to give JB the benefit without looking at the consequences:

Honest question here...if we don’t make the playoffs this year, why stop at the 2021 pick? Why not just give up the 2022 1st and 2023 1st for players like Zucker and Barrie while we can using the same logic you are to defend this trade?

Edit: obviously if we make the playoffs it’s forgotten about but it’s a huge leap of faith so let’s not talk about that. I’m talking about the risk.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If you don't agree with the trade that's fine but to say we're trading away a lottery pick is asinine. You have no idea what that pick will be, nobody does. JB is betting on our being better and I'll be surprised if we aren't. We're not done making moves and we were in the mix last season, we could have made it if not for injuries and that losing streak.  

Still waiting, with all due respect.

If you think about it, it fits in the 26-35 age group narrative that win you the Cup according to Benning.   He is 26.   Keep in mind, that was a loaded Lightning team and he’s playing on 3rd line.  He is not likely to play top D in Lightning and now this team is thin in depth and more attention by team to shut him down.  Not sure I would give up our first unless he’s willing to gamble that he would be able to keep up with either Peterson or Horvat.   I like the fact that this is a lottery protected in case of a vast improved team by draft within 2 years.  He has been building a depth in prospects from the draft for a while so he is banking on a strong team in 2020/21 season.   

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If the playoffs  was the only objective then  Canucks would right now be looking to trade many of their younger elite talent .

Clearly that is not a good strategy for long term health of the club. I don't know any GM that would be trying to do that.....

No...Our young talent is who's going to lead us to the playoffs.

We just added talent to our young players without giving away any prospects. That's what alot of GMs would do actually.

• Cheers 2
  • Wat 2

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

By that brilliant logic we should trade all our picks away every year. 

Is the rebuild over as it was in Toronto according to you when they traded their 1st?

Is this a epic fail as it was in Toronto, according to you if the Canucks don't advance past the 1st round once giving up their 1st rounder?

Literally no team is built solely on draft picks. This objectively speaking is a good value trade. 

Bo Horvat .33 points per minute

JT Miller .30 points per minute

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Maybe if fans weren’t so negative he’d have an extension and wouldn’t be pressured into this move then.  

Maybe if Benning had acquired picks for the last 4 years instead of trading them in a "must stay competitive" mentality and still end up being the worst team in the league over that period.

Maybe if he had traded assets instead of watching them age and lose value on a junk team. 

Maybe if Benning could make a good big trade.

Maybe he could sign a FA without a huge overpay. 

Maybe if he didn't just trade a 1st and 3rd for JT Miller.

Then fans wouldn't be so negative. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Generational.EP40 said:

@DeNiro @oldnews @ others who are so for this trade and willing to give JB the benefit without looking at the consequences:

Honest question here...if we don’t make the playoffs this here, why stop at the 2021 pick? Why not just give up the 2022 1st and 2023 1st for players like Zucker and Barrie while we can using the same logic you are to defend this trade.  

false equivalency between Miller and Zucker - that makes it clear that you don't really get my point.  That's fine - I don't really care if you do or don't, but don't see a lot of point continuing if you don't by now.

Was not interested in Zucker (or the other comparables) and made it very clear why.

I'm guessing if you're interested in criticizing/responding to my posts, you'd have already read or be able to find the differnces/reasons why.

I'm also not on team acquire Barrie - and again, have made the reasons clear. 

My targets would be quite different - the difference between Miller and the Skinner, Zucker types would be a good indication of the difference between the guys you name and the type of player I would pursue.

Spending one 1st on Miller implicates no one in a scheme to lose your mind and spend all the future 1sts on whatever random target emerges in the rumour mill.

• Wat 3

4 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Something does not compute at how Vancouver values players especially to comparables in terms of offense and position

Gustav Nyquist - cost San Jose a 2nd and 3rd

Wayne Simmonds - Hartman + 4th

Mark Stone - prospect + player + 2nd 

Nino Niederreiter -bottom 6 forward

Something does not compute when all things considered

Does not compute in what way?

3 of the players you listed were pending UFA rentals while Miller is signed for 4 more years at a very favorable cap hit.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Umm.....

The Canucks finished 9th last and only 9pts out of a playoff spot.

5 more wins and we’re in the playoffs.

And that's with injuries to Petey, Beagle, Sutter, Edler, Markstrom, and Tanev. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Tampa just potentially bought themselves a lottery pick in 2021 and a likely early 3rd rounder for an expendable third liner. They’re a fantastically run franchise. 

..I guess nobody is saying JB is the sharpest knife in the drawer....lol.

as a fan, it's a helpless feeling, when you know that the defense needs to be improved in a big way.