The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

6 minutes ago, Pete M said:

I get that JB may have overpaid for JT Miller, if certain conditions happen; however, what happens if the Canucks don't make the playoffs this coming year and win the lottery (pick Lafreniere or Raymond), then in 2021, they stack up on "D" and make the playoffs as a top 3 team in the Pacific Division....(they only need to improve the "D", so it is still possible finishing top 3 in 2021), then Tampa may get only a pick between 21 to 30 OA; if this is the case, then the trade is very good...if JT is a 55+ pts player and contributes to the success.

I can get stuck in the mud and think the worst, but I don't see this trade being that bad if certain conditions happen....that's why the Canucks negotiated a conditional 1st round pick (if anything, JB did not have to include a 3rd round pick in the trade)...he has a thing for always throwing in an extra pick, he needs to stop doing this.

your completely right ..  the problem is , the worst really can happen , and if it does , this deal will have been one of the worst this franchise has made in a long time ..   

Im hoping it goes the way you said !!

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

No doubt they are going hard after Tyler Myers. If not Jake Gardiner too.

If you have "no doubt" you haven't  been paying any attention.

The Canucks are aggressively pursuing  Barrie!!

Sakic:  'that's news to me'

Benning:  'that stuff is pure fabrication - it's good clickbait.- but it's entirely false.'

The Canucks are aggressively pursuing Gardiner!!   Skinner!  Subban!  Gostisbehere!  Zaitsev!  Zucker!  ad infinitum.  Any name that can garner some clickbait.

Unsolicited advice:  you need a healthy amount of doubt where this stuff is concerned, particularly when it involves obviously counterintuitive 'targets'.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

Sens were  heading into free fall when the made the trade with Colorado, they thought they could squeeze another run out of the team. Canucks are on the upswing, need some guys in their prime now to support the young, developing core. Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, even Edler, they deserve a chance to get to the playoffs next season.

That is what we are moving towards, enjoy the ride and the changes.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Lulover88 said:

your completely right ..  the problem is , the worst really can happen , and if it does , this deal will have been one of the worst this franchise has made in a long time ..   

Im hoping it goes the way you said !!

me too...lol

6 minutes ago, Sweathog said:

I think it's mostly a kneejerk reaction to giving up the 1st. Imo, some feel that by trading the 1st for Miller, it pretty much kills the chances of acquiring a player like Barrie.

The price must have been way to high for someone they could possibly sign next year. I bet Benning wanted to choke slam Sakic when he heard thr asking price. Considering how Sakic dealt with Duchene chances are it was too steep.

I really think they will end up signing Gardiner or Myers.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

No I’m good.

I’m not insecure and don’t mind seeing you. It’s you that can’t contain yourself at the sight of me and then cry wolf when I call you out. So if you want to go ahead, cheers.

you're  a 'bad evaluator of trades'

you should have taken the deal

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1

36 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

What I am trying to say is your actual view of the trade gets lost when you revert to the name calling etc. If I understand you correctly your concern is the 1st round pick may end up a lottery pick and its a valid concern. But this team is on the cusp of something big in my opinion. I am ok with Jim taking a gamble on Miller for the cost of a 1st round pick who may or may not end up being a star in this league. But you only have to look back at previous drafts and see how many "sure thing" 1st rnd picks have been duds. JT Miller brings an element to this team we are lacking. He is still young (26 yrs old) and signed to a very cap friendly deal for 4 more years. I will not argue it has risks attached to it but I'd rather trade a 1st rnd pick than hand over a decent prospect to get the caliber of player Miller is. Had we have traded Joullevi I'd be far more upset and even then it would be very tempered as I feel this was the type of move we needed to make now. LA and Anaheim are rebuilding and St Louis just proved a big heavy team can have success in the playoffs. Time to get a leg up on the competition. 

I disagree here. Would've rather traded a prospect than this first. Especially 2020 which is supposed to be a great draft.

If it was Tyler Madden or Jett Woo, or even Juolevi, I think this trade wouldn't be as hated. 

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

The price must have been way to high for someone they could possibly sign next year. I bet Benning wanted to choke slam Sakic when he heard thr asking price. Considering how Sakic dealt with Duchene chances are it was too steep.

I guarantee sakic was asking for Horvat or Boeser in return for Barrie.

Just now, captainhorvat said:

Sakic may be overplaying his hand on Barrie. Duchene was still under contract for a few more years, Barrie hits UFA next summer and could choose to sign here, then.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Chris12345 said:

This can simply be summarized as you either don't like the risk, or you do. Cut the personal jabs/bs it doesn't add value.

I believe it's far too much risk.

The risk needs to be taken now.  Our young core is great, especially EP.  The group deserves to have the holes filled, so they can have the support they need to be their best.  We got a top winger, who is in his prime,, and on a very good contract.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

a good way to look at this trade is JT is no LE...lol

JT is entering his prime, and LE was on the downside of his career.

I think JB did well with this trade, it could have been better, but he did well.

however, JB still has an outlook like "a kid in a candy store"...

Edited by Pete M
add
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Benning:  'that stuff is pure fabrication - it's good clickbait.- but it's entirely false.'

The Canucks are aggressively pursuing Gardiner!!   Skinner!  Subban!  Gostisbehere!  Zaitsev!  Zucker!  ad infinitum.  Any name that can garner some clickbait.

Unsolicited advice:  you need a healthy amount of doubt where this stuff is concerned, particularly when it involves obviously counterintuitive 'targets'.

When ON knows better than all of TSN+SNET+hockey insiders who all were at the conclusion talks were going on and it looked like a deal was going to be made.

More like JB took Podkolzin at 10 otherwise he would have dealt the pick which is what is being reported lol.

8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Seriously...? I think its you that hasn't been paying attention.

Save your advice pal, I form my own opinions, of which incorporate doubt.

Have you seen me saying they were going hard after Gostisbehere, Zucker or Skinner? or Yada yada. Nope. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Seriously...? I think its you that hasn't been paying attention.

Save your advice pal, I form my own opinions, which incorporates doubt. Have you seen me saying they were going hard after Gostisbehere, Zucker or Skinner? or Yada yada. Nope. 

Don’t worry about ON.

As you can tell, he’s worked those knee pads in real well :lol: 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1