The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

On 12/10/2019 at 12:05 PM, Gaudette Celly said:

This is called superstition, and typical of those whose lifestyle and retirement plan is based on buying 6/49.  They'd rather have magic beans than a sure thing.  Go for the mystery box, it might even get you something as good as what you give up, if yer lucky!

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, RonMexico said:

No not all. I've never even been to that site. At a certain point I believe your potential passes you by and I think that's where we are at with Jake. I see a player who has replacement level ability and value. You don't. That doesn't make me wrong, nor does it make you wrong. 

Everyone is entitled to opinions, but yes they can be proven wrong. Virtanen, while he has not met our hopes and expectations for a 6th overall pick, is far above a replacement level player. Take a look at his production this year compared to some other guys. As I write this, his production is at Kessel, Palat, Kappanen, Benn levels. Are those guys replacement level guys...?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Now about the conditional first round pick in this deal. Will it be 2020 or 2021 ? Hope the Canucks get back on track and get it over with.

Nonetheless, just saw that Miller is the 15OA11.

So a sure fire 26 year old 1st for a future 1st was the deal.

Canucks definitely have to do something.

Edited by Me_

2 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Now about the conditional first round pick in this deal. Will it be 2020 or 2021 ? Hope the Canucks get back on track and get it over with.

I don't think Canucks make the playoffs this year..

Vegas ARZ CGY EDM will be top 4 in division

Then one of DAL NSH SJS for 2nd WC spot.

I'm hoping we finally catch some luck and win the draft lottery.

Draft Lafreniere this coming draft... next year our young guns will be a year more mature and developed, make the playoffs win a cpl rounds and give TBL a late 1st..

• Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I don't think Canucks make the playoffs this year..

Vegas ARZ CGY EDM will be top 4 in division

Then one of DAL NSH SJS for 2nd WC spot.

I'm hoping we finally catch some luck and win the draft lottery.

Draft Lafreniere this coming draft... next year our young guns will be a year more mature and developed, make the playoffs win a cpl rounds and give TBL a late 1st..

This really would be cosmic justice for the Canucks. Narrowly miss the playoffs, slot in somewhere around 10-15 OA at the draft, FINALLY win a top 3 lotto pick ::D I'd be fine with Byfield too for example :lol:

That said, I'd be ok drafting in that 10-20 range too (to 20 if we do happen to go on a role and make the playoffs) as this draft seems very forward heavy at the top and we could probably stand to add some more D to our pipeline...particularly with the questions around OJ's health/development (though I do think he still makes it IMO).

One of Barron, Schneider, Poirier, Sanderson, Wallinder etc should be available in that range, should we land there. Though I guess if we land in the playoffs, we're likely surrendering the pick.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

The amount of sphincter tightening around this trade if we miss the playoffs this year and keep our pick is going to be intense.

What a decision to make if we are picking 10-15, will we be better the next year?  Do you gamble that we could end up losing a top 3 pick the following year?

This trade can't be judged until we know what is going back in return.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:57 PM, Provost said:

The amount of sphincter tightening around this trade if we miss the playoffs this year and keep our pick is going to be intense.

What a decision to make if we are picking 10-15, will we be better the next year?  Do you gamble that we could end up losing a top 3 pick the following year?

This trade can't be judged until we know what is going back in return.

I dont agree.  JT has been excellent and the needless hand wringing was about him being a '4th liner' by those that never saw him actually play.  

The only way the 11st becomes to rich is if it is a top 5 pick.  Right now JT is easily worth a 10th pick.  

If we draft 10-15, so what.  

Just with the expected progression of our younger players like Ep40, Gaudette, Brock and Hughes will improve the team.  It is expected that younger players improve and that the decline happens after the 30 year mark or so.  

Seeing as we have a very young team, that has improved since last season, further progression should be expected the following year.  That is to say if this team regressed like Edmonton last year, then management and coaching changes would be expected.  

If things stay on track, why would we even be concerned about next years pick.  As of now, we would be in the 13-15 range.  That's a fair price for what miller brings.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
  • Like 1

JT has been the MVP of this team so far half way into this season. This is the best move JB has made. Well worth a top pick given his skill, contract and age.

I’m more critical of the Meyers acquisition. This is one guy they needed to do more homework on. He is not a 6M defenceman and this gets lost in the conversation. I hope he picks it up, I love his size but he seems to be weak on his stick handling/puck shooting skills.

24 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

JT has been the MVP of this team so far half way into this season. This is the best move JB has made. Well worth a top pick given his skill, contract and age.

I’m more critical of the Meyers acquisition. This is one guy they needed to do more homework on. He is not a 6M defenceman and this gets lost in the conversation. I hope he picks it up, I love his size but he seems to be weak on his stick handling/puck shooting skills.

Myers is 2nd on the team for average TOI. 1st in average even strength TOI as he's been the secondary guy for both special teams. The coaching staff seems to trust him as a minute muncher capable of playing most situations when needed. He may be in a bit over his head when Edler is out. I think with Edler back, it's going to re-stabilize the defense. I think if he had better stick handling/puck shooting skills on top of what he is currently doing, he probably would've cost more than 6 million to sign.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

It's true that Myers is overpaid. But that was pretty much the only way to add a remotely top-4 D-man without giving up other assets.

Although Tanev is a better overall D-man, he's probably looking for similar money, and with his injury history, having Myers and Stecher and letting Tanev walk might be the right play. Rafferty's emergence makes this more palatable.

52 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Myers is 2nd on the team for average TOI. 1st in average even strength TOI as he's been the secondary guy for both special teams. The coaching staff seems to trust him as a minute muncher capable of playing most situations when needed. He may be in a bit over his head when Edler is out. I think with Edler back, it's going to re-stabilize the defense. I think if he had better stick handling/puck shooting skills on top of what he is currently doing, he probably would've cost more than 6 million to sign.

Yes but have you seen his puck handling and shooting skills? It’s not good, very disappointed.