The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Lightning trade J.T. Miller to Canucks for Marek Mazanec, 2019 3rd-round pick, 2020 conditional 1st-round pick

4 minutes ago, Googlie said:

The only gripe I have with the (conditional) 1st round pick being lost is that it takes the offer sheet (for $4,228 million or more) out of our arsenal.  The first round pick must be 2020 and has to be indigenous, can't be one that we acquire, and can't be encumbered (can't be used twice)

The only saving grace is that if it is indeed a 2020 pick that TBL gets, it will be a 17th or later.

I doubt we see any offer sheets. It's quite uncommon and these deals hardly ever get past the match phase when they do happen. There really isn't anyone worth matching that isn't going to cost a bunch of picks and considering the crowd here getting all in a huff over a conditional 1st, it won't go over well anyway.

For example, I assume Kapanen is a guy some may think of offer sheeting, but I'm not offering more than 4 million for him anyway.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The only leverage required is $$$$$$$$$.   Mind you they will need to pry some of that free from LE's clutches.  We don't have much to trade.

I think they need to look for a shut down guy. One who can eat up a ton of minutes.      (TRYAMKIN like) 

Hughes was drafted and signed to push the play. Lets se what he can do.

The 'money' is both leverage in the free agent market relative to teams that can' t realistically offer much - that flexibility is in fact leverage.

And 'money' is also leverage in the trade market, where a lot of teams need to move some (ie San Jose signing Karlsson has put Braun and Dillon on the market). 

That money is also the possibility of taking a draft pick - ie to eat a (shorter term) cap dump - a pick that could then be flipped as 'leverage' in any effort to add a D via the trade market - take a significant enough cap dump and you may have gained your principal in a Ristolained type deal.

That's enough leverage that I'm comfortable and confident they can get what they need to done = whether it's a mid to high end  trade, high to mid range UFA.

They also have the potential of retaining on Tanev and dangling him as a cap steal to a contender market that lacks 'leverage' in the current climate.

I like their 'leverage' far more than I see it as a  limiting factor - people are outsmarting themselves witht that stuff imo.

2 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

On the Canucks' previous D corp. 

That's your isseu

then I laugh at all those 'not an uprgrade' comments.

Really?

The right side was Tanev, Stecher, Biega, Schenn to end the season, with Tanev on the limp.

If you believe none of those names are upgrades on Biega/Schenn, then you really like Biega and/or I can't take a word of your one-liners seriously wadr.

You clearly undervalue/underestimate - and are trying way too hard - to dismiss a lot of names on that list.

13 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I get a feeling you have no idea who Cernak is. Mayfield and Dillon would absolutely help us. Guys like Chiarot, Hainsey, Kronwall (still playing top 4 minutes with Detroit last season, finished?), and Benn would help out the bottom pairing considering we had guys like Pouliot, and AHL call-ups filling out there for long stretches of the year.

So no these guys aren't top pairing dmen, but to suggest they aren't improvements is misinformation. We can sign the lower end guys to be placeholders for if/when Tryamkin returns possibly at the end of next season and we could even see guys like Woo make a push next year. Even Rathbone may get signed by the end of this coming season should he want to make the jump.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

then I laugh at all those 'not an uprgrade' comments.

Really?

The right side was Tanev, Stecher, Biega, Schenn to end the season, with Tanev on the limp.

If you believe none of those names are upgrades on Biega/Schenn, then you really like Biega and/or I can't take a word of your one-liners seriously wadr.

You clearly undervalue/underestimate - and are trying way too hard - to dismiss a lot of names on that list.

That list was full of putrid names, guys that the Nucks don't have the assets to acquire, or guys that are in the range of Biega & Schenn. As I said, Stralman or Benn would be alright as they probably are going to be reasonable $ and term, or bringing back Schenn would be great. But the majority of your suggestions were vomit-inducing. We want the team to get better, friend. 

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I get a feeling you have no idea who Cernak is. Mayfield and Dillon would absolutely help us. Guys like Chiarot, Hainsey, Kronwall (still playing top 4 minutes with Detroit last season, finished?), and Benn would help out the bottom pairing considering we had guys like Pouliot, and AHL call-ups filling out there for long stretches of the year.

So no these guys aren't top pairing dmen, but to suggest they aren't improvements is misinformation. We can sign the lower end guys to be placeholders for if/when Tryamkin returns possibly at the end of next season and we could even see guys like Woo make a push next year. Even Rathbone may get signed by the end of this coming season should he want to make the jump.

I think the hope is we improve the top 4 which drops a D man down and relegates Biega back to where he should be (7th or 8th option) and hope Juolevi can step up shortly into the season and improve the depth further, so that we don't have to be subjected to watching a dinosaur like Kronwall or Hainsey. Pretty simple. 

2 hours ago, Losing With Pride said:

People get it.

It's not a guaranteed mid to late 1st rounder.  That is the issue.  If the pick was lottery protected both years, I would completely understand.  The issue is that it leaves us exposed.

It takes ball and some risk to make a trade like this. I rather take this risk and go for the playoffs. We were only 5 wins away from getting into the playoffs. Were alot closer to playoffs thn most people think in this market. If this ends up being a lottery pick in 2021 thn we have alot bigger problems. But that wont be the case.

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

It takes ball and some risk to make a trade like this. I rather take this risk and go for the playoffs. We were only 5 wins away from getting into the playoffs. Were alot closer to playoffs thn most people think in this market. If this ends up being a lottery pick in 2021 thn we have alot bigger problems. But that wont be the case.

And 5 losses from finishing last in the West.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

I think the hope is we improve the top 4 which drops a D man down and relegates Biega back to where he should be (7th or 8th option) and hope Juolevi can step up shortly into the season and improve the depth further, so that we don't have to be subjected to watching a dinosaur like Kronwall or Hainsey. Pretty simple. 

Only reason we would really entertain Hainsey or Kronwall anyway is if we move Hutton to hopefully be part of a deal to improve us elsewhere as those guys are LD. They would be one year deal type players that hold the fort until Juolevi is ready and/or as mentioned earlier if Rathbone gets a look at the end of the season. I much rather have them than see Pouliot again. There's a reason why they were still getting top 4 minutes on their respective teams, but would get less here to mitigate any decline in their game and a 1 year deal poses no risk to the team.

Biega is certainly a 7 or 8 dman regardless if we make any improvements or not. He knows this and has accepted his role.

All the talk about building through the draft, dumping older players for draft picks, etc.. for the past few years has, imho, lead many on cdc to overvalue draft picks.  I have heard many on hear talk about offer sheeting high end guys.  This would require a ridiculous cap hit, term and giving up a number of top draft picks.  I have also heard many people talk about signing "top" Free Agents like Lee, Ferland, Dzingel, etc... which we all know would cost big $$ and at least 7 years.  I would much prefer Miller at his cap hit and term, to any of these free agents at their cap hits and terms.  He is a proven top 6 player who is still young enough to play a big role in our next step.  Gives Petey and Bo a great winger to play with, kills penalties, etc...

I am very happy with this trade.  At some point the picks need to translate into real players who can win a hockey game.  We only have 6 spots in the top 6 and now 4-5 of them are taken for awhile.  This year Pearson, Baertschi, Spooner, Leivo, Goldobin and maybe Nyquist will be fighting for them.  Podkolzin, Hoglander, Madden, Lind will be fighting for them in future.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Shush you, trying to dredge up worst-possible-case scenarios to discredit the trade...

The trade is already discredited on its face and in comparison to other deals that went down. The undeniable record of Canuck drafting failures is right here: Overview Piece On Our Recent Drafting 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

That list was full of putrid names, guys that the Nucks don't have the assets to acquire, or guys that are in the range of Biega & Schenn. As I said, Stralman or Benn would be alright as they probably are going to be reasonable $ and term, or bringing back Schenn would be great. But the majority of your suggestions were vomit-inducing. We want the team to get better, friend. 

you clearly don't have the ability to assess players that's necessary to 'maketherightmove'

that you lump all of them as putrid, unattainable and/or replacement level is absurd.

carry on with the archair that takes no positions act, that is unless you have any 'right moves' ideas.

Listening to NHL Network today and of the four pundits that commented on the Miller trade all were good with it. Maybe a touch much but none called it a cap dump but a hockey trade and all agreed the Canucks got a youngish, gritty  player that they needed. Even Boomer who is usually down on the Canucks said it was a fair trade. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I think alot of people who may have been against it in the beginning are coming around.

Once the shock wears off of us trading a first round pick, you realize that Miller is a good player on a good contract that you gotta give something valuable to acquire.

I think too often in this market fans think that we're going to get good players for scraps. Everything has to be a "steal" otherwise our GM sucks.

Dead on.

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Most trades involve some risk.

1 hour ago, danaimo said:

Agreed, Most trades carry risk.  Being too afraid to make trades guarantees mediocrity. Pick your poison.

In this case its not just 'some risk'. Its a perfect example of mortgaging the future.

Expansion draft will throw a wrench into things too, we'll see how it goes. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

There is always risk involved in moving a top pick for a 26 year old. You give up 8 years of potential playing time. That's why it is usually a move that is done by clubs that are close. Teams that are looking for that last piece or two. We are a building team . One with more holes then swiss cheese.  If and it is a big if that pick becomes a lotto pick and it lands a top 3 pick we will all be very upset. We could miss out on a franchise player. 

Every time a team try's to speed up a rebuild it is at the risk of setting things back.  Now , it is a gamble and it might work out. I have been trying to get some info on the 2021 draft round but it is hard to say yet.

I think Benning and the owners are rolling the dice and hopping for the best. Is that the kind of management you can trust?  This would have been a good year to , say land another first not sell one. 

We will see how the year unfolds but I don't think it will end up with a playoff birth.  

Its not going to be a playoff team with this defense. Hence why there all-in on Tyler Myers.

Its a bit early to tell on the 2021 draft, Luke Hughes for example is just going to be starting with his junior club (USNTDP) that he'll be with leading into the draft. Same goes the other prospects I'd assume. I just know 2020 is protected to be really good.

The risk involved for me isn't so much getting a 26 year old, because he's still prime aged & he's under club control for awhile.

The cost is giving up a truly great young player with that draft pick. Even if we sneak in next year & give up a 16th - 18th overall pick, its still a strong year. In 2015 those picks were Matthew Barzal, Kyle Connor, and Thomas Chabot. And then of course in 2021 it could be a lottery pick.

If its a later 1st, like 20+ I think its a fine trade. Its just can we take big steps like that so soon.