The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aidan McDonough | #25 | LW

On 1/21/2023 at 2:42 PM, stawns said:

I don't think he's going to amount to much, nor do I think he's going to sign.  Better getting something for him don't you think?

I think with McDonough, all we ever see is clips of him scoring or setting up a goal. I don't see that he has the foot speed or lateral mobility you'd want in a power forward. I could be wrong, but if he can be used as a piece of a bigger deal, and the return is reasonable, I wouldn't be disappointed if he were to be dealt. That said, I'd really like to see what he can do, since I've been closely following his career since he was drafted. Myabe he can join up with BFF Rathbone in Abbotsford.

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, if he comes and plays on the Canucks he can sign his 3 year ELC and burn a whole year off of that, just like Quinn did and his best friend Rathbone.  That's the incentive.  He can go play in Abby after the NHL season is over if they are in the playoffs...

They burn a year off to get closer to free agency but they also get their entire signing bonus rather than a prorated amount like their salary. I know there’s always been some wink, wink, nudge, nudge with the NCAA (to an extent) and now they’ve got their NIL deals (not that it really matters with hockey) but I imagine a six digit number in the bank account looks pretty dam good to a kid fresh out of college.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

I think with McDonough, all we ever see is clips of him scoring or setting up a goal. I don't see that he has the foot speed or lateral mobility you'd want in a power forward. I could be wrong, but if he can be used as a piece of a bigger deal, and the return is reasonable, I wouldn't be disappointed if he were to be dealt. That said, I'd really like to see what he can do, since I've been closely following his career since he was drafted. Myabe he can join up with BFF Rathbone in Abbotsford.

I’d like to see him in the nhl to see what we have/what he could be too before considering him a trade chip. I believe he’s been working on his details away from the puck and his skating, so while he maybe appears to be a little slow and one-dimensional now, no reason to believe he can’t improve to nhl quality if he’s determined.

I’m rooting for him, but I’d think he’s still a bit of a longshot to be a nhler. I wouldn’t bet against it though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what this kid can do in the NHL, but people need to temper their expectations. He's had a foot speed issue in the past, which won't really effect him in College, but really will in the NHL. 

I believe that he will sign with the Canucks as soon as his College season ends, let's see how he looks when he gets here, but I think he's going to need some time in Abbotsford to work on foot speed.

13 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really hope that's what McDonnough does. Gotta get pen to paper. I'm betting he'll want to be playing NHL hockey next year for sure. This pedigree of player does not 

come around too often. Fingers crossed.

I hope he signs and am excited to see what he can bring but let’s not get carried away.

This guy is not close to being an NHLer. He’s gonna need to work on some things in the AHL.

It’s what we should have done with Adam Gaudette but we rushed him into the NHL. I hope they get it right with McDonaugh.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

I hope he signs and am excited to see what he can bring but let’s not get carried away.

This guy is not close to being an NHLer. He’s gonna need to work on some things in the AHL.

It’s what we should have done with Adam Gaudette but we rushed him into the NHL. I hope they get it right with McDonaugh.

We definitely rushed Gaudette. 

I think you can’t treat every player the same though, if McDonough comes in and earns a spot he deserves to keep it until he struggles and needs some time in a lesser league

Looking forward to seeing him this year. With that shot and size he could be a great fit with Petey one day

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

15 hours ago, Muttley said:

Really hope that's what McDonnough does. Gotta get pen to paper. I'm betting he'll want to be playing NHL hockey next year for sure. This pedigree of player does not 

come around too often. Fingers crossed.

I would prefer his not burn an entire year of his ELC and him sign a PTO to play in the AHL...This is not a top end draft pick, why cater to them and remove an entire year of his contract, all so we don't see him sign elsewhere...that loophole needs fixed ASAP. 

15 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yes, if he comes and plays on the Canucks he can sign his 3 year ELC and burn a whole year off of that, just like Quinn did and his best friend Rathbone.  That's the incentive.  He can go play in Abby after the NHL season is over if they are in the playoffs...

McDonough's ELC will be for 2 years as he will be 23 when he signs it.

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2023 at 1:05 PM, Neutral said:

I would prefer his not burn an entire year of his ELC and him sign a PTO to play in the AHL...This is not a top end draft pick, why cater to them and remove an entire year of his contract, all so we don't see him sign elsewhere...that loophole needs fixed ASAP. 

It's not all one-sided if he burns that year off. If that happens, then we no longer need to worry about another team offer-sheeting him at the end of the contract. Makes a huge diffence in negotiating leverage.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I think he plays the first half of the season in Abby and then he will come up and won't look back.  I have always thought he would be like the Ranger's Kreider.  We will have to wait and see but I think this kid will make Brock redundant and Brock will be traded as a result.  We will see. B)

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

It's not all one-sided if he burns that year off. If that happens, then we no longer need to worry about another team offer-sheeting him at the end of the contract. Makes a huge diffence in negotiating leverage.

Is his ELC two years regardless of whether he signs with us early, so he can play games this season, or he waits and signs as a UFA with another team on August 15th? 

I’m trying to find some kind of reason (other than we drafted him) why he wouldn’t go the UFA route? 

Have to say, watching McDonough’s game earlier tonight, he’s so much faster now. Was flying out there on a few shifts. Seems like the work he’s put in with his skating is paying off. On the negative side, he had a few “JT Miller style” shifts defensively, halfheartedly waving the stick at guys he probably could have taken pucks off of if he’d been more engaged, and standing around the zone a bit (albeit well positioned, usually) when more of a pressure mindset might have allowed him to win back some pucks. I won’t hold it against him too much, and generally he was solid enough, plus he’s there to score more than anything. Just felt the effort in his own zone could have been more consistent and he could dial up the intensity a bit there. Overall, however, he looked good. And both his regulation goal and the shoot out winner were impressive.

Hope he chooses to sign with the Canucks. I like his chances to become an NHL player, especially now that the skating is looking better.

EDIT: And the defensive stuff can be coached and some of it comes with experience and maturity. Plus, I have seen McD play better games in his own zone and he can be more of a force there. I think the fact they went down 3-0 and needed to pull themselves out of a hole probably played a factor. Can’t really blame the kid for thinking offence more then defence, and maybe looking to cheat a little here and there, saving energy for the next offensive opportunity, and focusing on being ready for when his teammates win back pucks and turn the play up ice. And certainly can’t fault his intensity in the offensive zone, on this or any other night. He was fully engaged and looking dangerous for much of the game. Not just on his scoring chances but battling for pucks on the forecheck and working hard to gain and/or keep possession. He definitely uses his size and skill to his advantage in the offensive zone.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to say, watching McDonough’s game earlier tonight, he’s so much faster now. Was flying out there on a few shifts. Seems like the work he’s put in with his skating is paying off. On the negative side, he had a few “JT Miller style” shifts defensively, halfheartedly waving the stick at guys he probably could have taken pucks off of if he’d been more engaged, and standing around the zone a bit (albeit well positioned, usually) when more of a pressure mindset might have allowed him to win back some pucks. I won’t hold it against him too much, and generally he was solid enough, plus he’s there to score more than anything. Just felt the effort in his own zone could have been more consistent and he could dial up the intensity a bit there. Overall, however, he looked good. And both his regulation goal and the shoot out winner were impressive.

Hope he chooses to sign with the Canucks. I like his chances to become an NHL player, especially now that the skating is looking better.

EDIT: And the defensive stuff can be coached and some of it comes with experience and maturity. Plus, I have seen McD play better games in his own zone and he can be more of a force there. I think the fact they went down 3-0 and needed to pull themselves out of a hole probably played a factor. Can’t really blame the kid for thinking offence more then defence, and maybe looking to cheat a little here and there, saving energy for the next offensive opportunity, and focusing on being ready for when his teammates win back pucks and turn the play up ice. And certainly can’t fault his intensity in the offensive zone, on this or any other night. He was fully engaged and looking dangerous for much of the game. Not just on his scoring chances but battling for pucks on the forecheck and working hard to gain and/or keep possession. He definitely uses his size and skill to his advantage in the offensive zone.

It will be very interesting to see if he signs with the Canucks..

On 2/5/2023 at 12:57 PM, RetroCanuck said:

We definitely rushed Gaudette. 

I think you can’t treat every player the same though, if McDonough comes in and earns a spot he deserves to keep it until he struggles and needs some time in a lesser league

Looking forward to seeing him this year. With that shot and size he could be a great fit with Petey one day

Exactly. Every player's development is completely different. Gaudette is in the AHL now. Doesn't 

mean he will be forever, but... 

Blame his progress on whoever, but he's the only one who truly controls his destiny. 

You force others to take notice. 

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Thoughts on the chance of McDonough actually singing with the Canucks? I'd put it at about 35%. Man I hope he does though, this prospect pool has nothing to spare..

**must resist urge to make bad joke here**

I’m a little more optimistic than most, and think the chances of McDonough signing with the Canucks is 50/50 or better. But that’s just a guess.

The current roster has a bit of a glut of wingers, but I think some of them won’t be here next year, or much further into the future. The Canucks can still offer McDonough a good opportunity to be part of their roster retool, with a future spot in their middle six. And I think they also offer better than average development and support to incoming young players, especially with the coaching changes in Abby, the Sedins taking on a big role, and the overall revamping of the player development department (in addition to some strong hirings by the previous management, like their skating coach, MacKenzie Braid, who should be able to help McDonough continue to get better).

They’ve also had the benefit of several years of building a relationship with McDonough, and while the management team has changed (from the one that drafted him), the development staff members who actually handle the NCAA players remain the same, and I expect they still have close ties and good communication.

Hopefully it will prove to be enough.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1