The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I'd say that would be a pretty thin point to make.

You mean he has almost as many giveaways as Pouliot and Gudbranson did combined?

Edited by Odd.

Just now, stawns said:

Myers is a very good skater and I could see him being effective well into mis middle 30's, maybe late 30's.

Tyler Myers is a very good NHL dman, he's not some scrub.

Maybe, but it's still a hell of a gamble. I'd still rather try and go the trade route and nab Ristolainen out of Buffalo. I've crapped on him in the Buffalo thread for his frighteningly bad +/-, but with the proper insulation he should be able to improve that aspect of his game. As long as it doesn't cost us a core piece. Also, if we're able to trade some cap off our roster for Risto, it may allow us the freedom to go after another top 6. Someone like Nyquist may bite us in the ass, as he'll be looking for significant term. Maybe sign Pavelski to a Vrbata-esque deal? Something relatively short term to plug the hole on Horvat's right side until Podkolzin can make the jump?

I dunno. Just spitballin'.

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

You mean he has almost as many giveaways as Pouliot and Gudbranson did combined?

turnovers and takeaways are a completely subjective stat, usually involving several players in the play.  Not saying he's going to win the Norris, but he is a big improvement to the Canucks blueline.  

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Maybe, but it's still a hell of a gamble. I'd still rather try and go the trade route and nab Ristolainen out of Buffalo. I've crapped on him in the Buffalo thread for his frighteningly bad +/-, but with the proper insulation he should be able to improve that aspect of his game. As long as it doesn't cost us a core piece. Also, if we're able to trade some cap off our roster for Risto, it may allow us the freedom to go after another top 6. Someone like Nyquist may bite us in the ass, as he'll be looking for significant term. Maybe sign Pavelski to a Vrbata-esque deal? Something relatively short term to plug the hole on Horvat's right side until Podkolzin can make the jump?

I dunno. Just spitballin'.

gamble how?  I'd say money is not as big a gamble as giving up actual assets.  For all the hand wringing about LE's contract, it's really had zero effects on the org going fwd.  Would I want to trade for Myers, no.  Would I want to give up only dollars to sign him to a decent contract with decent term?  Absolutely

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Odd. said:

More like 25-35 points. 

You say people just look at points, but you agree with DeNiro's post suggesting cause he's good for 30-40 points which is not necessarily true, he's a good addition.

My question is, just how valuable is Myers really going to be? And is he so valuable that he's worth a 7X7 contract?

He’s a 35 point guy but if we rely on him more than the Jets it could be 40.  He gets points which has value obviously but when not getting points he helps drive the play which has value too.  Seems unlikely to be as high as 7x7.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

gamble how?  I'd say money is not as big a gamble as giving up actual assets.  For all the hand wringing about LE's contract, it's really had zero effects on the org going fwd.  Would I want to trade for Myers, no.  Would I want to give up only dollars to sign him to a decent contract with decent term?  Absolutely

It's difficult to quantify whether or not Eriksson's contract has made a difference or not, as we don't really have a an idea or even point of reference as to what we could have done had that contract not been on the books. Maybe we're in a better position to eat a contract if we don't have Eriksson on the books, thus landing us an asset. Maybe we're able to justify offering a little more to a coveted free agent that we weren't able to land because Eriksson was on the books. 

Also, the Eriksson saga isn't over yet. It may end up costing us an asset to move him. 

We also have to look at where the team is in it's life cycle. We've been a cellar dweller for the last several years and Eriksson wasn't going to change that, so the damage to the team itself may very well have been negligible. But we're on the upswing now, and the tail half of the Myers contract is going to intersect with our core being in it's prime, and we want to be competing for a cup at that point, which entails stretching our cap out as far as it can go. If Myers can go as long as you speculate he can, then great. But if he can't, then it's wasted cap space right when the team should be at it's best. I'd hate to be in a situation like TO is right now. Trying to vye for a cup, but being so locked up in bad contracts that it's keeping them from fixing that disaster area of a blueline, or worse, shipping those contracts out along with 1st rd picks in order to shed the salary.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Odd. said:

More like 25-35 points. 

Based on what exactly?

Producing at the same rate he did in Winnipeg despite being behind Byflugien and Trouba?

He would be getting much more opportunity here including first unit power play time. Hence more points.

Barring injury 40 points would be the most likely based on his track record.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Obviously the biggest question is whether Myers is good for 25-35 points or 30-40 points. 

Those 5 points make all the difference. Had Pettersson only finished with 61 points I don't even think I'd want him any more.

edit: whoosh

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

The media expectations have gone from a high of $8 million x7 years to now being in the $6 million x5-6 year range.

I wonder what it will end up being in the end and if he is ours... I am going to fear the worst so I can only be either right or pleased.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's difficult to quantify whether or not Eriksson's contract has made a difference or not, as we don't really have a an idea or even point of reference as to what we could have done had that contract not been on the books. Maybe we're in a better position to eat a contract if we don't have Eriksson on the books, thus landing us an asset. Maybe we're able to justify offering a little more to a coveted free agent that we weren't able to land because Eriksson was on the books. 

Also, the Eriksson saga isn't over yet. It may end up costing us an asset to move him. 

We also have to look at where the team is in it's life cycle. We've been a cellar dweller for the last several years and Eriksson wasn't going to change that, so the damage to the team itself may very well have been negligible. But we're on the upswing now, and the tail half of the Myers contract is going to intersect with our core being in it's prime, and we want to be competing for a cup at that point, which entails stretching our cap out as far as it can go. If Myers can go as long as you speculate he can, then great. But if he can't, then it's wasted cap space right when the team should be at it's best. I'd hate to be in a situation like TO is right now. Trying to vye for a cup, but being so locked up in bad contracts that it's keeping them from fixing that disaster area of a blueline, or worse, shipping those contracts out along with 1st rd picks in order to shed the salary.

well, they are under the gun to start moving towards the playoffs now, as they should be.  Myers goes a long long way to shoring up the right side and helping them get to the playoffs soon.  People need to get out of the mindset of a perpetual rebuild, this team needs to be move up toward success and to do that, they need a solid dman on the right side.......if that costs them a little more than market value, so be it.  I'm not advocating a ridiculous deal as I believe that JB is smart enough to avoid that.......however, if he makes a dsperate move, he still gets a very good dman for the nex phase of the team.  

They don't need a cap dump on Loui, they would be better off having him in the lineup contributing as a bottom 6 player, which he does.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Except Guddy brought zero offence.

At least Myers is good for 30-40 points from the back end. Something this team is desperate for.

The last time Myers scored 40 points was 10 years ago. But even 30 points would be a welcome addition. It's a tough pill to swallow though giving a guy 6 x 6 at the minimum to score 30 points and play ok defense. It's an overpayment on day 1, that would be pretty close to an unmoveable contract as soon as it's signed. Benning's only other option is the trade market but he seems reluctant to trade any of his top prospects. Personally,  I think Myers is a Canuck July 1st. 

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

The last time Myers scored 40 points was 10 years ago. But even 30 points would be a welcome addition. It's a tough pill to swallow though giving a guy 6 x 6 at the minimum to score 30 points and play ok defense. It's an overpayment on day 1, that would be pretty close to an unmoveable contract as soon as it's signed. Benning's only other option is the trade market but he seems reluctant to trade any of his top prospects. Personally,  I think Myers is a Canuck July 1st. 

He scored 36 points two seasons ago.

i don’t think 4 points is insurmountable with first unit power play time.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He scored 36 points two seasons ago.

i don’t think 4 points is insurmountable with first unit power play time.

Myers isn't going to get first unit PP time. If we are running the 4 forward 1 d setup, he's not getting PP time barring injuries.

Speaking of PP, I really hope we fired our PP coach lol.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Myers isn't going to get first unit PP time. If we are running the 4 forward 1 d setup, he's not getting PP time barring injuries.

newell brown can't be fired, only temporarily banished while he recharges his powers. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

You already know our power play strategy?

Im assuming it will change based on the personnel. Myers gives us a legit point shot, which Newell Brown likes to build a power play around.

My guess is we’d roll with Edler, Myers, Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser.

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You already know our power play strategy?

Im assuming it will change based on the personnel. Myers gives us a legit point shot, which Newell Brown likes to build a power play around.

My guess is we’d roll with Edler, Myers, Horvat, Pettersson, and Boeser.

Leaving Quinn Hughes off of the top unit would be a huge mistake but I would not be surprised to see it.

• Upvote 1