The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

4 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

Pettersson is not McDavid, Boeser is Not Draistl

Not sure what point you're trying to make here?  

Sky's the limit.  You can't determine is/isn't until things play out.  See?  That's part of the problem, that you're dealing with things as if you know.  You don't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rychicken said:

you'll never host sports talk radio in this city with all that positivity! 

are the sports radio folks ripping this deal?   Wouldn't surprise me - I hardly ever agree with a word spoken in this media market - (with the exception of the Taylor, Shorty, Garrett types)...

I am thrilled with this.  

I wasn't really in favour of Ferland as the principal target to chase in free agency - I didn't think he fit their princpal need - and I thought he'd be priced - cap and term - out of the comfort zone.

But after acquiring MIller, signing Myers and Benn - to also be able to add Ferland in spite of the recrap b.s. - that is shocking - pretty much an absolute best-case scenario thus far this summer.   I would have bet against getting all that done - and at such a reasonable cumulative price.   Haven't been a bigger homer than I am after the draft and free agency thus far. 

That added size, speed, grit - makes me a lot more comfortable with this group - gonna be a lot of fun to watch this team this year.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

As usual with HF, it’s the very vocal minority having issues.

Just look at their poll:

18A47A2E-02B7-440F-8076-D7CD967D5672.thumb.png.bf78854385adfebb16fa2ec25fcba06f.png

Only 10.2% saying it’s a bad deal. 56.3% saying good deal. 33.5% on the fence.

For HF, that’s a home run. 

The thing is the haters are more vocal and in the meantime twisting the facts to make a good deal look bad. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

A battle plan is only good until the first shot is fired.

Hockey is not rocket science but a team needs to have an idea of what to do "if" things don't go the expected way. Boy Scouts motto, "Be Prepared".

There are some things winning team need and have in common, players that are superior to other teams, teams with more superior players win more often.

This team will be pressuring Boeser and Pettersson to be the back bone of the scoring.

For decades this forum has ridiculed Edmonoton for rushing their young players and used that as a reason for Edmonton's current fates.

But these were the players on the team that so many wanted right up to now,

Aging veterans, it is a young mans game. The prime of a players is now considered 26yr old.

The guns better show up or else, the team is sunk.

There better not be any injuries or? There is no depth, no RRSP's so to speak. Just draft picks, the future. What was said about Gillis, he didn't draft well, hard to draft at all if the team starts trading away their draft picks.

I want the team to make the playoffs WHEN they have a core group to build around.

Pettersson is not McDavid, Boeser is Not Draistl, the only real difference between the teams was goaltending, Markstrom had his best ever season and stole at least 8 games and probably 12 points all by himself, the Oilers lost 10 to 12 points through bad goal tending. That  is the game but both teams missed the playoffs.

Pettersson and Boeser are not those two Oilers.  Our guys actually care about winning, and play both sides of the puck.  

McDavid and Draisatl are great offensively, but they don’t play on the defensive side of the puck.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Trebreh said:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser
Ferland - Horvat - Pearson
Leivo - Gaudette - Virtanen
Roussel - Sutter - MacEwen

source.gif

Beagle and Sutter can take turns in the pressbox while the other is 4C. 

Sutter is untradeable due to his boat anchor of a contract.....

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 6

34 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

And you get banned for being trolled as I did 

There's a nasty lil' agenda at work over there. Let's not forget pro sport is a billion $ biz, ideal to keep the natives distracted.

Trolls & lackey media play their part in supporting misdeeds & false narratives.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Beagle and Sutter can take turns in the pressbox while the other is 4C. 

Sutter is untradeable due to his boat anchor of a contract.....

At least Sutter brings a defensive game. Despite him being overpaid, he does have a niche, unlike Eriksson.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

They don’t need to move Erickson to begin with. They have 9 mil in cap with him. They can move Leivo for a 5th and they’re fine once Roussell is back. 

Erickson can still play and his salary is 3 mil. You retain 1 mil and any team who needs to take on cap would take him as he’s still effective defensively and there’s always the “you never know with chemistry”

2 mil salary and 6 mil cap hit is attractive to teams like Ottawa and anyone needing to be over the floor

I take it that the 9 mil is including Rousells 3 mil?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

But what about Boeser now? Or Goldoblin? Trade bait? Sweeteners? How about Eriksson and Boeser for Minnesota's 1rst round pick in 2020 and a prospect?

There is about 7.88 million of cap space with which to sign Boeser - not including the LTIR flexibility with Roussel.

In other words, more than enough cap remaining.

No need to dump Boeser into an LE dump - that is a horrible idea.

They can still add if they want.

If they decide to take advantage of a cap deflated free agent market, they could still sign a depth defenseman - and there are a few good ones left out there - for 1 million - and it would be inconsequential to their cap space.  I like their youth depth on the left side (Sautner, Juolevi, Brisebois) - but they are still able to add a depth D - and still have 4 contract spaces - (1 to Brock, maybe one to Goldy if he isn't dealt) - and two remaining for depth.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Lots of swings, not much connected. Probably didn't want to hurt each other knowing they'll be teammates in the future!

They were both kids in that fight too.  Now they’re both fully mature men.  Holy crap having these two beside Petey and Bo is going to make us one hell of a hard top six to play against.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1