The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

48 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Good take and somewhat surprising...

Hopefully we don't see them sky rocketing now they've become Canucks... 

more aggressive, harder working players are more likely to keep their feet moving, thus making it less likely they'll end up taking cheesey little stick infraction penalties while also making it more likely that they'll draw them. 

you don't see a lot of roughing/elbowing/boarding/charging penalties being called around the league, and those are the ones you'd expect rough and tumble players to take. the one that kill teams are hooking/tripping/holding/high sticking and those normally come from players not moving their feet and waving their sticks at guys. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Ferland will do very well, it seems from watching his play on various teams, he excels most in a canadian market, so expect great things guys, esp if u hated him in calgary in 2015 lol

Excels in Canadian Markets or excels when younger with less concussions, I guess it’s just how you look at it. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Imo JB has totally reshaped this team and honestly I'm not a JB die hard. I like Myers, Miller and Ferland a lot and think this team has the perfect blend of skill, strength and energy. Imo Markstrom will continue his solid play. JB imo has made some poor trades, Vey and Baertschi come to mind, he has also made some bad signings but imo with the last 3 drafts and this off season he has totally given me a lot more confidence.

What?

Baertschi was a very good trade??!! :picard:

The vey one sucked though.....

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Outsiders said:

My Lineup 

Ferland-Petey-Boeser

Baertschi-Horvat-Miller

Pearson-Sutter-Leivo (Put Pearson on the third line instead of Baertschi because I feel Pearson fits the style that line would play. Not to mention Baertschi if healthy is our 2nd most skilled forward and can produce!!!  Has great chemistry with Horvat as well.)

Roussel-Beagle-Virtanen

Eriksson gone

Goldy gone

Schaller gone

I’m hoping that Bärtschi also leaves.

16 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Believe its 10 team NTC in 3rd year, then 8 team in the 4th.

Remember how Gillis got (and still kinda does) crapped on for NTCs/NMCs? Really they are just the cost of doing business in unrestricted free agency.

It doesn't matter if he has an NMC because he is still eligible to be exposed in the Seattle expansion.

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

Yup. And the point is that the 2nd year NMC ends after the draft, no? Draft in June, NMC clause expires in July.  :)

Probably not too important a point as Ferland will (likely) be on the Canucks' protected list for the expansion draft.

regards,  G.

6 hours ago, mll said:

Players on expiring NMCs don't have to be protected.  Seattle is scheduled to enter the league for the 2021/22 season.  Only players with NMCs for that season have to be protected. 

Ah, this is what I was wondering about. Thanks muchly.

regards,  G.

I hope Bear and Sutter come back and silence their critics this season. Both are solid nhl players. I’m rooting for Gaudette but Suttsy is a much better and more rounded player. Let’s not get into the habit of wishing fir change for the sake of change. We want the best players in the line up and Bear and Sutter are both good players. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I hope Bear and Sutter come back and silence their critics this season. Both are solid nhl players. I’m rooting for Gaudette but Suttsy is a much better and more rounded player. Let’s not get into the habit of wishing fir change for the sake of change. We want the best players in the line up and Bear and Sutter are both good players. 

Me too but only if JB can deal away Eriksson, Goldy and Schaller!!

1 hour ago, tas said:

more aggressive, harder working players are more likely to keep their feet moving, thus making it less likely they'll end up taking cheesey little stick infraction penalties while also making it more likely that they'll draw them. 

you don't see a lot of roughing/elbowing/boarding/charging penalties being called around the league, and those are the ones you'd expect rough and tumble players to take. the one that kill teams are hooking/tripping/holding/high sticking and those normally come from players not moving their feet and waving their sticks at guys. 

Cheers tas.

You're right...

I was more thinking along the lines of...you know being a Canuck = Edler 5min... :)

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Though I do think Baer has a decent enough two way game to play with Sutter, I think the advantage is that it adds a legitimate scoring presence to the third line.  They'd likely get very favourable matchups and could really be the offensive depth they've been looking for.

However, that would likely mean that they would have to find a taker for LE, so it's not very probable.

45 minutes ago, Me_ said:

I’m hoping that Bärtschi also leaves.

Only way I see Baer not being the odd man out is if we do indeed move Sutter (which I don't think is likely) and going with a more offensive 3rd line, something like: Baer, Gaudette, Virtanen/Leivo.

But again, I think that's unlikely.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

You should be planning for down the road, or atleast be conscious of it.

Getting Ferland came down to the extra year, not the amount of space. Even if we had more Id hope we wouldnt just give it away, the deal he got with the 4 years is perfectly fine. Its a good signing.

Sutter staying healthy is an 'if' at this point. And Id argue we are paying him to contribute more offensively than he has aswell.

Jay Beagle is a fine player, I like him in his role, but we did pay a premium to get him.

You don't think Benning and crew weren't conscious about it? I'm sure they didn't sign Eriksson with the mindset that he would be where he is today. If he was the player they expected him to be, then he would be paid just fine at his salary. Almost every GM has bad a signing they've probably regretted and if not already, then they will eventually. You take risks to boost your team and not all pan out. We are close to the cap, but we don't have cap problems just yet so I would say Benning was very conscious about it. While many were dreaming of Panarin or EK, Benning actually said they didn't have as much cap space as it may seem despite having over 38 million in cap space at that time. He was fully aware of the situation before many of us were and that's why he and his team are in NHL management. This goes along with the expansion as he made the necessary deals so we did lose a key player for nothing. We won't be so lucky this time around because our team will be better, but he's made signings that doesn't restrict us in who we want to protect which keeps all players on their toes if they want to stay. So he clearly is planning down the road.

Ferland was talking about a Wilson type contract meaning he was looking at 5+ million for at least 5 years. He clearly came in under that. So yes great signing indeed.

If Sutter isn't healthy, then he goes on LTIR. If healthy, he's an important contributor. We did expect him to have a bigger role, but these injuries haven't helped him find a groove with the team.

We will continue to see Beagle's value going into next year. If we didn't pay the premium, he may as well have stayed in Washington. For a 4th line guy, he seemed well loved there, which goes to show you the type of player and person he is.

We can argue over the value of players, but at the end of the day, we are going to be under the cap even with Boeser signed to 7 or less. We have filled most of the holes on the team. The less than favourable contracts will be off the books within 3 years right in line with players needing extensions and raises. We are in a good position right now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Why because you say so? Look what Calgary got and look at what we got.:picard:

A second round pick, 53 to be exact, that turned into Rasmus andersson. He has 19 points in 90 games. Baertschi took 51 games to get to 21 points and is now putting up just over 0.5 points a game.

It was a good trade

And do some research before calling someone out, you might not look as bad as you're trying to make them lookB)

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I totally agree.  Seems like the moment one of our guys starts building an injury history the fanbase want to get rid of them.  I understand the reasoning, but I don't think it is fair.

Baer has had concussions, of course. But if he manages to avoid them going forward, I have seen growth in his game that leads be to believe he is capable of 50 points with Bo and another good winger.

Sutter has played his role very well for us until injuries hit and then he was... well.... pretty bad.  But if comes back 100% and we see the Sutter of old, I think he can return to being an effective 3rd line player.  He will likely have the opportunity of playing with fringe 2nd liners as we have increased our forward depth so I feel he may be poised to have a bounceback year.

• Upvote 4