The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Micheal Ferland | #79 | LW

-DLC-

5 hours ago, Vermette9 said:

Needs to link up with sids concussion doctor . Remember when everyone said the kid was done ? 

Yes, but if that doctor could make everyone with a concussion better, all pro athletes with a concussion would go to him and all would return to playing.  Every concussion and player is different, but hopefully Ferland can still become one of the lucky ones.

15 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Yes, but if that doctor could make everyone with a concussion better, all pro athletes with a concussion would go to him and all would return to playing.  Every concussion and player is different, but hopefully Ferland can still become one of the lucky ones.

Well obviously every player is different . But if Theresa  doctor that's a expert on concussions (specifically sports and or hockey ) why the hell wouldn't you go to the Guru? 

1 hour ago, Vermette9 said:

Well obviously every player is different . But if Theresa  doctor that's a expert on concussions (specifically sports and or hockey ) why the hell wouldn't you go to the Guru? 

Because, unfortunately, there just isn't a concussion Guru out there.  If there was, Ferland and every other player with a concussion would be lining up to see him and all would be getting better.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:11 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

First he had a recurrence of his concussion symptoms after a fight with Clifford where he really didn't take any good shots to the head.  Then he got the symptoms again from just throwing some good hits and not even getting hit/punched himself.  His brain is obviously very fragile at this point and he needs to take a good long time to let it heal now...if it ever really does.

This is a situation where, doing what's right for the person should outweigh what's right for the team.

I love Ferland's game but, not at the expense of his long-term health.

We watched this situation play out with Dorsett. I have no wish to see Ferland go through the same scenario. 

Put him on the shelf for the year and have him ready for next training camp.

On 12/29/2019 at 1:11 AM, Captain Canuck #12 said:

First he had a recurrence of his concussion symptoms after a fight with Clifford where he really didn't take any good shots to the head.  Then he got the symptoms again from just throwing some good hits and not even getting hit/punched himself.  His brain is obviously very fragile at this point and he needs to take a good long time to let it heal now...if it ever really does.

This has actually been my take on his status. I don't think he was fully healed from the concussion from last season when he came to camp.

He may need to shut down for the full season, possibly permanently.

I think he's tried to come back to early from these and rush his recovery and it may have done permanent damage to him.

I wonder if Ferland has a neck injury that is contributing to his symptoms? I know of people that suffered a concussion and had "symptoms" months after they had been "cleared" from their concussion and just didn't feel quite like before and they had suffered a neck injury from the concussion that never fully healed properly and therefore were causing them problems. 

However, I know Ferland is getting looked after by our team and I'm hoping he can return at this own pace. He'd be a huge addition if he could come back and stay in the lineup but his long term health is way more important than hockey. 

On 12/31/2019 at 2:46 PM, Alflives said:

Interesting idea.  If Furley did do what you say, so he could get one last contract, it doesn’t hurt us, because he goes on LTIR.  Plus, smart NHL teams insure their players’ contracts, so it’s the insurance company that’s out the dough.  I’m hoping he’s back, but accept he may never be. 

Can't insure every contract. I think only 3 or 4. Couple of years ago I heard Doug MacLean talking about it. And those are usually high value contracts. Ie LE Edler Myers 

And for someone with Ferland's injury history insurance cost would be high..we don't know if his contract is insured or not. 

On 12/31/2019 at 11:18 AM, Slegr said:

I have a gut feeling that Ferland had concussion symptoms for most of this season, and prior to the start of the season. Don't get me wrong, I'm still a Ferland fan.

But here's what I noted: 

Despite being new and likely wanting to begin gelling with teammates, he hardly played in training camp and preseason.. because he was 'sick'. ... really? (I'm guessing concussion symptoms that lingered, possibly throughout summer, but that he may have been quiet about it in order to get a UFA contract)

Several of the games that he played, he looked very timid, not playing physical. 

A few of the games, he did bring it hard, playing the physical play we expected.

This sounds a bit nutty, but I'm almost thinking Ferland took that staged fight with Clifford hoping that he could use that as an excuse to bring himself out of the line-up because he was already feeling concussion symptoms but didn't have anything direct to point it to. As people noted, he didn't actually receive a clean head shot in that fight.

I'm willing to be patient with Ferland in hopes that he will feel symptom free. But I don't think he's been completely honest with medical staff / doctors up until more recently.

Yea so he just purposely lost 15 pounds too, over those weeks he was faking being sick, to make it look legit as well. This is just total nonsense. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Upvote 3

On 1/6/2020 at 5:34 AM, peaches5 said:

Yea so he just purposely lost 15 pounds too over those weeks his was faking being sick to make it look legit as well. This is just total nonsense. 

there is no saying that both could not be true.

It is doubtful that Ferland faked being sick

but that does not mean he didn't fake being well to sign a contract

likely though that he just overestimated his wellness or ability to recover from his concussions

the thing I have noticed from other players with concussions is that they seem confused so it is difficult to "take a players word" about their recovery

concussed players give some of the worst interviews

in the 14 games he played he never brought his A game even once.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They say Ferland may be back after the All Star break. I just hope he's able to come back and still play a gritty physical game. If he does, it could be perfect timing down the stretch, and possibly playoffs.  

I’d even say sit him out the entire season and let him fully recover. Fully.

I’m liking this idea more and more; sitting players who are prone to injury for longer than necessary for an even stronger health and a probably prolongation to their careers.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Me_ said:

I’d even say sit him out the entire season and let him fully recover. Fully.

I’m liking this idea more and more; sitting players who are prone to injury for longer than necessary for an even stronger health and a probably prolongation to their careers.

I think the thing is that once the player has gone through protocol and is cleared to play, isn't generally accepted that further healing may or may not occur and/or be required? Isn't that the whole meaning of being cleared in today's concussion-conscious NHL?

Team nor player tend to want a prolonged absence, so the player almost always comes back when cleared unless symptoms reoccur. 

IF it is deemed reasonable that he will build resistance to further concussions in the future if he rests once cleared then I am all for it. But really, it is up to him. At most, some 15 games before playoffs seems like a good time to bring him back. Time to get back to top form in time for our playoff run. I think we really need Ferland (and Tryamkin if at all possible) to give us the extra punch in a playoff environment. With those two additions, I think the team could impose themselves quite well against most other teams. I still believe that crushing hits is totally a way to make an opposing team shrivel away. We all know what LA did to us in the 1st rd. Or Boston before that. Even St. Louis is a model of how important guys like Ferland in the lineup. I don't want him to risk his future to play whatsoever, but if he is cleared to play and wants to play, let him play.

• Upvote 1

In a recent interview JB states that Ferland's current injury is not concussion related. This is good news for our concerns about his durability moving forward with concussions. Hopefully it is something that he is able to fully recover from and play his game at the level he likes to as we make a playoff push. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qa-canucks-gm-benning-trade-deadline-playoff-race/

SN: As good as Miller has been with 17 goals and 46 points, how concerned are you about your other big winger acquisition, Micheal Ferland, who suffered a concussion and has played just 14 games and scored once?

JB: (His current injury) is not concussion-related this time. You always worry about players, but we did our due diligence this summer with the doctors before we signed him. I’m hoping he’ll be back in the next couple of weeks.

SN: Can he still make an impact?

JB: He’s a proven, good 5-on-5 player. He’s not a perfect player. It’s pretty hard to find perfect players. I think Travis has done a good job with the fit and matching players. I’m excited, when Ferland’s 100 per cent healthy, to see what he does when he comes back because he’s going to help us 5-on-5.

• Thanks 2