The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jesse Puljujarvi signs with Karpat (Finland)

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree, but they were trying to trade him, so he needed to play on the big team to have any value.  No, they’re stuck.  He needs to play on small ice in the AHL to learn, but he needs waivers.  Unless Holland will take a Goldy type player (decent player with upside who also needs waivers) or a third round pick I see JP playing this season in Europe.  

this is why I'm pretty happy - now - to have Podkolzin marinating in the KHL. He needs more time too and thats being taken care of nicely for us. You were totally right about being excited about this kid in the pre-draft yap.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Easier to say that in Detroit, vs. Edmonton who is facing more years of losing and has the best player on the planet wasting their prime years.

If he wanted to draft and develop from what he has, he has to trade McDavid and Draisaitl for picks and start over again.  Starting from now, they won’t have a critical mass of elite prospects coming up until it is too late for those guys.  They have at best a middle of the pack prospect pool at the moment.

There is a reason they had to bribe him to take the job.  There is no good option other than shuffle things a little and hope for the best.

Draisaitl was drafted the same year as Virtanen. McDavid the same year as Boeser.   Don't really know Edmonton's prospects but are they that much weaker than Vancouver's prospect pool.  Holland sounded enthusiastic enough watching them during the AHL playoffs - warns that it was a small sample size but liked what he saw.

Holland took the job in Edmonton under the condition that he would have full control.  Don't think he's going to rush things - in Detroit he really insisted on patience.  

Under Chiarelli there was no plan - it was bandaid after bandaid.  Holland seems to have a plan.  Very different to play for a team where there is a strategy in place to win a Cup vs just shuffle things and hope it works out.  Would think that Holland has spoken with McDavid about his vision on how to get the team to become legit contenders. 

3 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Holland will get a return that the market will bear, or JP will be in Europe for this full season.  I’d see a guy like Goldy as fair.  Another top six guy with skill, who is now waiver eligible.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holland will get a return that the market will bear, or JP will be in Europe for this full season.  I’d see a guy like Goldy as fair.  Another top six guy with skill, who is now waiver eligible.  

Goldy lost 15 pounds over the summer. He's leaner and likely much faster! I don't see him getting top 6 opportunity here unless baercheese gets moved and Ferland plays on the third line. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rush17 said:

Goldy lost 15 pounds over the summer. He's leaner and likely much faster! I don't see him getting top 6 opportunity here unless baercheese gets moved and Ferland plays on the third line. 

Holy crap!  Goldy is down 15 pounds?  Now I’m super excited to see him play.  I know Green said he wanted Goldy to be faster through the neutral zone.  I think a 15 pound lighter Goldy might impress A LOT!  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

then leave him in the AHL for an entire year with that job in mind. I don't think many guys can learn an NHL checking role on the fly. 

Whoa..... AHL coaches yell at players and say hurtful things. He’s better off in Europe where advanced coaching techniques are practiced. 

Did I do that right?

:bigblush:

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Holy crap!  Goldy is down 15 pounds?  Now I’m super excited to see him play.  I know Green said he wanted Goldy to be faster through the neutral zone.  I think a 15 pound lighter Goldy might impress A LOT!  

Goldy already plays light, so does shedding 15 lbs really make him tougher to play against? If it indeed helps his speed and agility then great, but not sure how that's going to help him win more battles. I guess he's trying to channel his inner EP?

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Sounds like a Lind and a 2nd type deal is what they are looking for IMO. Although if they want more help now, they'd probably want a Gaudette and a 3rd. Not saying I would do either of those deals, but that's what they would be targeting I would think.

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

33 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Sounds like a Lind and a 2nd type deal is what they are looking for IMO. Although if they want more help now, they'd probably want a Gaudette and a 3rd. Not saying I would do either of those deals, but that's what they would be targeting I would think.

Good luck getting that sort of value, probably why he hasn’t moved yet.

Counter with a 6th and Karlsson

• Cheers 1

I remember when people were hoping that Puljujarvi would fall to us in the draft and thought the Oilers were so lucky to have him drop to them. Amazing how a few years changes things.

At least Juolevi wants to play for us and is still showing a lot of promise. I know everyone thinks we should have taken Tkachuk but it could have been worse.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Goldy already plays light, so does shedding 15 lbs really make him tougher to play against? If it indeed helps his speed and agility then great, but not sure how that's going to help him win more battles. I guess he's trying to channel his inner EP?

A loss of 15 pounds puts him around 181 pounds. About the same as what the Sedins played at. If he is going to play light, he might as well actually BE light so that he can take advantage of using speed and skill better

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

A loss of 15 pounds puts him around 181 pounds. About the same as what the Sedins played at. If he is going to play light, he might as well actually BE light so that he can take advantage of using speed and skill better

Problem is that he's playing so light that it's unacceptable.  Not sure how it's any better that he's not going to the dirty areas because he's too small instead of because he's too lazy.  End result is the same: not good enough to play in the NHL.

2 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Whoa..... AHL coaches yell at players and say hurtful things. He’s better off in Europe where advanced coaching techniques are practiced. 

Did I do that right?

:bigblush:

wait... don't tell me Timrafan spawned Karpatfan? 

• Haha 1