The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Pavel Zacha signs in KHL

Baer.

9 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Former 6th overall pick looking like a bust at this point;

I am going to have to disagree with you there. Zacha is only 22 and has similar production to Jake, who I think we can both agree doesn't deserve the 'bust' label either. I don't know if its going to serve him to go play against lesser competition and improve his game but he is still worth taking a shot on for many teams in the league who lack center depth. The problem is that since NJ added Gusev, Hughes and Simmonds to their forward group, it will almost certainly mean less opportunities for Zacha both on the PP and on 5v5. Maybe he thinks he can grow his game in the KHL then come back sort of like Tryamkin, who people also tried to call a bust when he bolted but I always thought he would get his opportunity in the NHL again. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I am going to have to disagree with you there. Zacha is only 22 and has similar production to Jake, who I think we can both agree doesn't deserve the 'bust' label either. I don't know if its going to serve him to go play against lesser competition and improve his game but he is still worth taking a shot on for many teams in the league who lack center depth. The problem is that since NJ added Gusev, Hughes and Simmonds to their forward group, it will almost certainly mean less opportunities for Zacha both on the PP and on 5v5. Maybe he thinks he can grow his game in the KHL then come back sort of like Tryamkin, who people also tried to call a bust when he bolted but I always thought he would get his opportunity in the NHL again. 

similar to Goldobin as well, with similar ppg. Not ready to call "bust" on Goldy quite yet either. 

https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/frozenpool_compare.php?players[]=4079&players[]=4203&period=2018-2019%3AR%3A99

It's best to always look deeper past the production numbers to figure out what/if any issues.

Is his best friend in the world playing in Avangard?

Does he have issues with some players on the NJD?

Are the Devils trying to force him to play a certain style that's foreign to him?  Maybe he's a big guy and they want him to be a PWF, even though he's more of a finesse player that just happens to be big?  Maybe they are forcing him to play on his off-wing?

He's just developing a bit slower than others and has quickly been overshadowed by other prospects?

Assuming due diligence can be done, he could be a decent steal for the right price.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

More points in fewer games than a certain Canucks 6th overall pick ;) 

Last i checked, virtanen was still a canuck. 

Never heard jake complaining or threatening to bolt to russia either. 

Ill take a few less points in three years for a long *edit NHL career and no drama. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Upvote 2

Boeser might be going to Europe if Canucks don't pay him. 

Marner has plans to go to Europe if Leafs don't pay him..

Pretty standard negotiating and planning by his agent. Especially since Zacha is European.

If I was him I'd go to Beijing China or St. Petersburg  Russia. Moscow or Helsinki would be tempting as well. I don't know about Omsk. Maybe it's a nice place. 

6 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

This regime puts supreme emphasis on character when drafting. I honestly think it was a big factor in why Juolevi was picked over Tkachuk.

...that's why the talk in cowtown is Tkachuk maybe the Flames next Captain after Gio retires...

...and the Flames in negotiations to offer him $7+ Million/ year (make him the highest paid player on the Flames)....yeah, they probably think he has bad character and can't play...so that's why he only will get $7+M

• Cheers 2

Don't agree that Zacha looks like a 'bust.'

This might have something to do with the Devils having Zajac (who lead that center group in ice-time, draws)  Hischier, and just drafted Hughes - in addition to having center prospects Michael McLeod and Boqvist in their system.  Playing behind Zajac, Hishiier and Hughes probably does not spell a whole lot more opportunity than he saw last year.

21 years old, with 43.2% ozone starts, 13 goals, and a respectable 48.9% faceoffs (particularly with primarily dzone starts) - is not really bust material - it's a young center who pretty much held his own - let alone played 2:10 a game on the penalty kill.  Not exactly conditions for a 21 yr old center to 'break out' - and additionally, while not playing on a particularly strong team.  Add a first overall, and Zacha's minutes look to get even harder / matchup, 'bottom six' type minutes if he's a part of that group.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Pretty standard negotiating and planning by his agent. Especially since Zacha is European.

If I was him I'd go to Beijing China or St. Petersburg  Russia. Moscow or Helsinki would be tempting as well. I don't know about Omsk. Maybe it's a nice place. 

The KHL doesn't allow out clauses so Zacha will play in Russia regardless.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

let them go

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Well that escalated.  As for the bust label, he's an NHL player.  There are some first round picks, even high ones, that don't even get that far.  I don't think that this is best for his career, but now am curious as to what he was being offered that the situation became this extreme.  I'd rather play in the NHL than squeeze a few dollars more playing in a different league.  But who knows...