The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Lightning re-sign Brayden Point

4 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Tampa is also a cup favourite and Hawks use to sign good players for a mill or what ever spare change they had.... I get the tax break is there but the lightening also have a good team and we did the same with burrows when he was lighting it up and he was on one of the best contracts in the nhl at the time....

when your on a winner , you take less money to stay on a winner....

its all about the cup in the end. 

I find it strange that nobody claimed we got J.T. Miller at a steal of a contract. I mean it must be a steal if Tampa signed him to that contract,........right? 

We should probably lead by example and offer to operate with a lower self imposed cap so that we are not seen as having an unfair advantage.:emot-parrot:

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

$9 mil in year 3

I think this is a great bridge deal.  A BRIDGE deal at $5.25 mill for the 1st year. Even 3 years ago that would have been seen as massive inflation. But he did score 90 odd points and steal the top line C job from Stamkos...

Still?

The $4.25 mill signing bonus is double his career earnings to date! 

I agree with @oldnews.  These type of deals, in advance of any $50 mill deals are very intelligent. Sets the team up to sign him through his prime. Where a Taveres walks at age 26?  Plus the cap hit makes it work for the team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Definitely the playing field has become terribly out of wack for the US teams.  Most (almost all) state taxes are way less than CDN cities.  The lopsided $ value is also bad; considering the owners pay the players in US $, but their revenue is in CDN $.

Be fair?

Yes we receive large shares of income streams in Canadian dollars. But we also get US tv dollars; the pillar, cough, of our favorite tactician Gary Bettman. Some of the original 6 US teams, NYR's, Detroit are big $ revenue teams.  But Montreal and Toronto are the leagues highest earners, and consistently do so. Vancouver and Calgary have often beat Boston to be the 5th peg in top 5 revenues in the NHL.

Vancouver has generated routinely 3 & 5 times the annual revenue of teams like Florida, Carolina, Arizona.  

Edited by Canuck Surfer
grammar and exentuate point
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Toronto should have done bridge deal like this, it allows them to be ultra competitive for next three years and Point doesnt walk in to UFA status at the end of the contract. 11 million was very high for 6 years. When Rielly's contract is up they are screwed.   

Edit: actually Reilly is the only Dman signed past this year and still has three years. Will be plug city the next few years there. 

Dubas don't roll like dat, he sets his own trend.  Multiple 8-digit long-term salaried players with league-minimum trash in the bottom half of the roster is how you build a championship team.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Monty said:

Just when you think Tampa is in cap trouble, they do it again. And again. And again.

Even though they have considerably less taxes - this is still a team friendly deal and they definitely have internal buy-in.   Point is not quite as good as Marner, but he’s no slouch either - anyone who can beat out Stamkos when he’s playing like vintage Stamkos is a great player.  That said he’d have to have a contract close to 8 million in TO for the take home to be close to the same.   Sure he’d get more endorsements playing in TO too.   TB has all their core players playing at a significant discount, past just the tax differences.   It’s a bridge and at the end of it he’s going to be paid a huge pile of money regardless and he’s set up the current team to have their best years over the next three too by not taking the long term deal now. 

32 minutes ago, Monty said:

Just when you think Tampa is in cap trouble, they do it again. And again. And again.

Teams like Tampa, and cough Winnipeg in the past, have continually used RFA status as leverage to get mid $ contracts for stars done.

Tampa, of course, have a better track record in re-signing them at the end of deals. Stamkos, Kucherov, Hedman...

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Even though they have considerably less taxes - this is still a team friendly deal and they definitely have internal buy-in.   Point is not quite as good as Marner, but he’s no slouch either - anyone who can beat out Stamkos when he’s playing like vintage Stamkos is a great player.  That said he’d have to have a contract close to 8 million in TO for the take home to be close to the same.   Sure he’d get more endorsements playing in TO too.   TB has all their core players playing at a significant discount, past just the tax differences.   It’s a bridge and at the end of it he’s going to be paid a huge pile of money regardless and he’s set up the current team to have their best years over the next three too by not taking the long term deal now. 

I like your point.  

It may in part be due to weather & taxes. Case in point Florida had to pay massive dollars, ala Luongo, to get Bobrovsky. Paid more than I would have for, particularly with our downhill experience in L Eriksson, for an older player like Strallman. But Tampa is also a top team & very well run.  No reason not to like the program there? Buy in is obviously a factor that saw Tampa signing team friendly deals, sunny Florida without the rep, paying top dollar!

Not sure I agree Marner is better?  But different debate.

Unfortunately, my opinion anyway, the fishbowl that is Canada puts undue pressure on our teams.  I also believe that riots may have happened in Scarborough if Nylander was not signed? Is a factor that gives Matthews, Nylander, Tkachuk, Domi, Marner etc., etc., etc. more leverage in deals with Canadian teams.

Its refreshing when a Benning has started to use the more global market realities to work with his players.  He paid Sutter too much?  Gagner…  But has seemed to learn there is demand to play here, in spite of the pressure. Boeser, Myers, Edler, Ferland, all could be considered team friendly deals. Much like many American teams have shown they are able to make. Its also refreshing that Winnipeg has yet to dole huge deals to Connor with one hot year, Laine, with reasonable doubts & questions in spite of ridiculous goal prowess.

That this sanity is starting to happen in Canadian markets?  Leads me to believe a Canadian team may finally win a cup after, what, 30 years?

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Auston Matthews:  $11.6 million

Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, Brock Boeser, Quinn Hughes:  $13,216,667

MerryInsignificantAlpineroadguidetigerbeetle-size_restricted.gif

It looks better and makes more sense when you exclude ELC's...

Boeser+Horvat = less than Matthews

• Upvote 2

Another unreal signing by TB

Less than 1m more than Boeser

4m less than Marner- who Laffs only bought 1 year of UFA

Too bad it doesn't matter how good the contracts you sign are you still have to go out, compete all regular AND Post Season to win the Cup. I could care less what any Canuck player makes if they actually can hoist the Cup, that's all that matters to me. I want 1 Cup victory before im old and senile...

• Like 2