The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 02, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think we have up graded our defense a lot….I just think it will take some time

Remember forwards support Dmen, and visa versa.....

Just give it some time

Wishful thinking, jan. Mania and overreaction is the order of the day here. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I blame the 19 hour pregame celebration where everyone in Edmonton and their cousin was introduced.  With the seizure inducing music accompaniment.

They were in shock, plain and simple.

I wonder if their pregame discussions/pep talks try to keep them calm, level headed and sticking to a program and they go out there "prepared" but not fired up?  Just a thought.  They need to ditch the hokey pokey Sutter/Hutty country music, turn up some rage and punch the wall on the way out.  Something like that.

Totally

No honky tonk trash. Metal only. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And he stole Pearson's stick too. General thievery abounds!

That was a pretty bs play. Steals his stick and they go down the ice and score the game-tying goal (not that he would've been back in time anyways to help in preventing the goal). Oh well, it goes both ways - last night just wasn't ours.

10 minutes ago, How swede it is said:

Are you talking about the one pass that hit the linesman at center ice to create the turnover?

Sutter's turnover did hit the ref, but it was a weak, sloppy pass at a bad time. Just over 5mins left, tie game, had time and space, linemates changing, etc. Sutter made the wrong play late in the game and it cost us. He should've known better. But whatever, it's game one of the season and not game one in a playoff series.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

That was a pretty bs play. Steals his stick and they go down the ice and score the game-tying goal (not that he would've been back in time anyways to help in preventing the goal). Oh well, it goes both ways - last night just wasn't ours.

Sutter's turnover did hit the ref, but it was a weak, sloppy pass at a bad time. Just over 5mins left, tie game, had time and space, linemates changing, etc. Sutter made the wrong play late in the game and it cost us. He should've known better. But whatever, it's game one of the season and not game one in a playoff series.

i guess he should be crucified. petey lost the puck once too, lets crucify both of them.

• Haha 1

I've never understood the obsession with putting yourself in dangerous positions to block shots in today's NHL.  Especially in game 1 of the entire season.  I'm sure Adam Larsson would have been much more valuable to the Oilers defense if he could actually play for the next couple of months, instead of stopping a single shot attempt.  

Block shots straight on all you want, but if you take a clapper off the side of the boot you're pretty well always going to end up hurt, so why even bother?

1 hour ago, HomeBrew said:

Was I the only one that was a little underwhelmed by Jordie Benn's game? He didn't seem to sound of a defender from what I saw. With that said, both the Benn-Stecher and the Hughes-Tanev pairings were pretty suspect in their own zone. I'm hoping that they sort that out sooner rather than later. The shift or two I saw Hughes with Myers, I actually really liked. Might be something worth pursuing. 

Pearson seemed to be the hardest working guy from our side imo. People didn't seem too stoked having him in the top 6 to start the season, but I think he brings a lot of hustle and drive along the boards and in front of the net. Him, Miller and Horvat was by far our most effect line last night. 

Agree 100% , that line gonna be good all season ...Pear/miller/horvat 

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I blame the 19 hour pregame celebration where everyone in Edmonton and their cousin was introduced.  With the seizure inducing music accompaniment.

They were in shock, plain and simple.

I wonder if their pregame discussions/pep talks try to keep them calm, level headed and sticking to a program and they go out there "prepared" but not fired up?  Just a thought.  They need to ditch the hokey pokey Sutter/Hutty country music, turn up some rage and punch the wall on the way out.  Something like that.

Yeah what the hell was that.  From the assistant boot licker to McDavid all the way up.

They introduced about 50 people.  From the guys in the Oiler's jackets through the cheap suits all the way up to the players.  

Can I just say accept in very rare circumstances they should not show the pre-game ceremonies on Tv at all and should do the anthems earlier as well.  7:00 game should have puck drop at 7:05.  Anything that needs to go before they should start earlier.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, bree2 said:

wow! first game the team has played together , they weren't outplayed or out shot. the refs were taking the night off especially in the third.    

You agree with playing Jake, Schaller or LE and sitting Gaudette?

you think it was ok to have a matchup of Hughes against McDavid in the third? 

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

You could make that argument with literally anything. I find it hilarious that you think Drew Doughty is an elite defender, when he's been undressed by Goldobin twice in the past few years that led to goals. He's hardly any better than Burns is defensively. Both have great games defensively and both have weak games defensively. Keith in my opinion isn't as talented offensively as either of those two even though he is a great offensive talent. I don't think he controls the play the way Doughty and Burns do offensively, but defensively he does. 

I don't think anybody is expecting Quinn to be a #1 dman. A top 2 dman for sure that WILL drive the play offensively as once he's allowed will be a one man breakout machine, he already patrols the line as good as Doughty and Burns and honestly for his size and age, isn't as bad defensively as people say he is. He's got a great stick 95% of the time. The problem is he still hasn't put on any weight. Once he gains 20-30 pounds, he won't get thrown around like he did against Draisaitl. He's also learning the strength of the top end athletes and how they use leverage on smaller players too so that'll also help him. His one major deficiency though is he'll likely never be able to clear a crease which will severely hinder his defense. An active stick can definitely be good enough to make up for a lack of physicality.

With that said, shipping Quinn Hughes out sounds like one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. What exactly is he going to net you that fills a hole on this team? By sending him out, you take away the hole he fills that desperately needs help and that's control along the blue line, puck moving ability and the ability to skate the puck out from pressure. All three of those qualities in one defenseman are super rare. You can't analyze every team and think we're just like they are. A more comparable player to Hughes is moreso the potential to have a better version of an Ellis, or a Tyson Barrie. Still elite defensemen that any team should want to have and would be stupid to trade away unless you need desperate cap relief or an abundance of talent to replace them. You don't look at those players and go, "We should get rid of them because they won't pan out to their fullest potential" do you? 

He's a difference maker that's tough to replace, and the kid is playing his first full season in the NHL. That's incredible. 

The difference between those high end prospects that get pushed onto the team early panning out vs the prospects that get pushed out early that don't pan out is hockey IQ. Hughes has that in spades. Yakupov didn't have that, Virtanen doesn't have that, Puljujarvi doesn't have that. They all have amazing high end skill, but they don't know how to apply it to the NHL. That's why Pettersson does well, why McDavid does well, why Matthews does well. They have elite level skill (as does Quinn), but they also know how to use it. 

I just don't understand how you'd net a return bigger than the one you lost if you ship Hughes out. He's exactly what this team needs. Last game was literally the first game in a few seasons where offense from defense was prominent and look at some of the control this team had. We haven't seen control like that since the Sedins (in regular time anyways). 

Drew Doughty about 5 years ago was absolutely an elite defenceman. Saying otherwise is hogwash. Is he now? No. Nor is Keith. But from ...Egh... 2008~ through to about 2013/2014 or so, Keith was definitely elite as well.

And re the bolded parts... what the hell are you on about? Ship him off? In exactly zero instances did I even suggest, or broach the subject of trade. I'm suggesting getting him down into Utica to refine his game away from idiots in this town both in fanship and media. Eventually the shine will wear off, and his mistakes that lead to goals will start netting serious flak, which adds needless pressure. The plays I saw in pre-season and last night show me he's playing like Pouliot did last year. That shine wore off real quick. 

That said, I feel like you're having an argument with an imaginary argument that only borrows a bit from my actual one. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Really, a couple of controllable bounces? Controllable, not bad bounces. Marky leaving a big rebound for Kass to quick tip over to Draisaitl for goal one.  A sloppy pass by Sutter ended up being the winning goal by McDavid. It could be argued Smith interfered with Pearson, leaving one player late & a lane open for Kassian to get a transition goal. That was a bad bounce, but the other two goals?

Gave Edmonton the game to steal.

But the real reason we lost the game?

It could be argued we were a little chaotic. Not in perfect sync. I don't blame that, its just game one. 

It was our PP. Edler scored as one PP had just elapsed. Boeser 4:04, Miller 4:40, Petey 4:32. Its tooooo much PP time without sustained pressure by our top unit.  The 2knd PP looked more dangerous. Attacked pucks to win & keep possession.  Not that same desperation in the 1st unit. 

Our PP needed to win us that game! 

Did I hear that they were trying to have 2 PP units of equal quality?  They may give it a few games (10?) and if the results are so so, load up on the 1st unit.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Canucks home opener is going to drag on even longer than Edm, so whoever was talking about that...That's what teams do to start the year, its like an all start presentation of the team to the fans to say hey...come spend your hard earned $ again, we promise to be better this year!