The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to axe the power play coach?

Rate this topic

koregen

In reality, although it won't show on the scoresheet, the canucks scored on the 5 on 3.  It may not have looked pretty but at least they scored.  In fact it's pretty much 2 goals that they've scored right when time has expired on the PP.  It should really be another 2 goals added to the PP total.

42 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Yes

Not really. Well in my management experience at least.

If you look at it like you would in a management group, your manager (head coach) isn't going to cut the balls off his asstistants; Asst Managers get their butts fired then the manager implements his own plan until a new asst is hired.

New Asst goes about tweaking systems, under supervision, for a couple months until they're given autonomy in their areas of responsibility.

I'm not a fan of Brown. I wanted him fired last year. Same with Baumer.

But when the TEAM is actually "winning" it totally disrupts momentum to make any substantial changes.

That being said, our PP is static and boring AF. I've been saying for ages that the set isn't fluid enough and doesn't make the opposing keeper move laterally enough. Half wall roll, look cross ice 1 time, pass to the point, shoot, hope for a deflection or rebound chance. Boring and ineffective when facing the best players in the world.

When I think about the best PP's, there's player and puck movement. You might see a point man and high slot shooter being rather stationary, but there's three other guys cycling the puck and rotating through positions while moving the puck.

Hi LL

So, many times, what will happen, is they will hire a 3rd assist coach, who will start, by watching games and making notes, and then be on the ice for practice

this is usually done slowly, by integrating him in, then after he has a good understanding of the team, the coach will say, that they are now rotating coaches on the bench

This is done all the time.

Once Green gets the coach, that far into the system, the coach and GM promote an assistant coach (Newell Brown) into the management group, and away from the players, to some degree

That is the way it is done, when you are trying not to disrupt things. Many times, the players all ready are thinking the same things as you and I, but do not have the mechanism to have things changed, for the very reason you suggested......they don't want to disrupt.

But if Green and Benning are smart, they get a great communicator, who is liked by his players, and if all the above happens, the players have pretty much bought in, way before

Green makes the final change, and in many cases, the  players are way out in front on wanting the change made, and there is no negative disruption. 

Slight  of hand, basically!

32 minutes ago, RomanP said:

So, it was all good when we scored 1 power play in 2 tries (50%) against LA and 3 in 8 tries (27.5%) against LA?

Even when we've scored on the pp, it's looked more like luck than actual solid execution.
The pp has looked awful for years. Newell brown should have been fired a long time ago. With the amount of skilled players we have now, there should be zero excuse for our guys to be looking like predictable pylons out there.

I could take over the commentary during our pp1 breakout as its become so damn predictable. Edler skates slowly out of our own zone, looks left and right behind him, setting up the drop pass... If we actually get any control in the zone, it's just passing back and forth between edler and Petey or edler and boeser, while everyone stand stationary and no lanes open up. Eventually edler just tries shooting it and it's pretty much a 50/50 shot it goes off the defenders shin pads.

Pp2 has arguably been better at gaining the zone creating opportunities with 1/3rd the pp time... Hughes being the reason. The kid NEEDS TO BE ON PP1. Hes the only one that can keep the opposing team on their toes. He can skate it in on his own or utilize the drop pass. He can walk the line better than anyone on the team and can go around guys that pressure him too hard. His passing is also one of the best on the team, I'm sick or watching edler whiff on passes or send them over to Petey or boes way outside their wheelhouse. He also has a decent shot thats gotta keep the defense honest.

Enough of this old boys club bs. Edler is great, but Hughes is the far superior option on pp1. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi LL

So, many times, what will happen, is they will hire a 3rd assist coach, who will start, by watching games and making notes, and then be on the ice for practice

this is usually done slowly, by integrating him in, then after he has a good understanding of the team, the coach will say, that they are now rotating coaches on the bench

This is done all the time.

Once Green gets the coach, that far into the system, the coach and GM promote an assistant coach (Newell Brown) into the management group, and away from the players, to some degree

That is the way it is done, when you are trying not to disrupt things. Many times, the players all ready are thinking the same things as you and I, but do not have the mechanism to have things changed, for the very reason you suggested......they don't want to disrupt.

But if Green and Benning are smart, they get a great communicator, who is liked by his players, and if all the above happens, the players have pretty much bought in, way before

Green makes the final change, and in many cases, the  players are way out in front on wanting the change made, and there is no negative disruption. 

Slight  of hand, basically!

Oh for sure. I understand that the dynamics of an organization change depending on the industry. It was more of an aside related to my IRL management experience..

The guy under your Asst is a supervisor / lead hand.

In the nux system that man is Manny, but I don't really see how he can bring any PP prowess to the table, so it doesn't make any sense to can Brown and promote Manny to interm.

Basically, I really, really, very muchly hate our bland ass, boring and ineffective PP. 

I blame Brown for its total suckassedness

But it's not the right time to fire his totally uninspired, predictable, disappointing butt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Oh for sure. I understand that the dynamics of an organization change depending on the industry. It was more of an aside related to my IRL management experience..

The guy under your Asst is a supervisor / lead hand.

In the nux system that man is Manny, but I don't really see how he can bring any PP prowess to the table, so it doesn't make any sense to can Brown and promote Manny to interm.

Basically, I really, really, very muchly hate our bland ass, boring and ineffective PP. 

I blame Brown for its total suckassedness

But it's not the right time to fire his totally uninspired, predictable, disappointing butt.

I am with you brother

and I agree, firing would be the wrong way to do it, right now

But, I also know that, I am not telling you something new

But it was rather part of the whole conversation, I was answering

2 hours ago, RomanP said:

So, it was all good when we scored 1 power play in 2 tries (50%) against LA and 3 in 8 tries (27.5%) against LA?

Good?!?! Homie we’ve only score on the powerplay when the competition was incompetent like Bernier is a backup, La is what they used to be....

Hey, at least we aren't the Senators.

They have a 0% powerplay after 6 games, lol

Also the Devils are 4% after 7 games, Stars are 4.2% after 8 games, Ducks are at 5.5% and Kings are at 8.2% in 7 games.

So by that comparison our healthy 16.7% which is tied for 23rd in the league is quite respectable!

In other news, the Oilers, Bruins and Sabres are coming in at a whopping (and fully sustainable) 45.5%, 38.1% and 35.5% respectively. Each team, unsurprisingly, only has 1 loss.

And the Hurricanes have garbage numbers for special teams and are 3rd place in the league.

But as you know it is still early in the season and the sample size cannot yet accurately reflect the longer term efficiency of special teams.

9 hours ago, koregen said:

Our talented squad is playing like a bunch of stationery pylons under his direction. Recall Boeser in his 1st year he was skating around and creating open ice, do the same for Petterson in his 1st year. Then they got coached and bought into this overly simple system of hold your position and pass the puck around. We still have Quinn Hughes who has not been tainted by this failing strategy so we need to utilize him to get some movement going.

We got lucky with a couple of power play goals from the point, but we can't count on those.

This coach is having a bad influence on our players and it's time to move on to someone better, it should not be hard to find someone that can think beyond just a formation.

Brown needs to go, our PP shouldnt be this bad at all. I bet if we had mcdavid and draisaitl we would still have bad PP under Brown. He just doesnt know how to use the players we have and he puts the same personnel on the PP from last year. We should use Myers or Hughes on the first unit since we have seen already how Edler plays. One fluke shot by Edler shouldnt buy him more time, he should be relegated to 2nd unit. Also Brown keeps using Leivo on 1st unit PP which I really dont understand when we have pearson who is a better player.

I have been watching alot of Canucks games and almost all Timrå games The last few years.. Timrå is playing in inferior Leagues but looking just at the powerplay it is a huge difference.. Alot of movement and alot of tearing passes..

Looking at last year when Timrå finished dead-last they still managed an good 8th place in The PP and this year so far 2nd in The League and 1st in PP.. There is so much that needs rl be done to get The PP Rolling but its not very hard to do

Screenshot_20191018_154609_com.android.chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20191018_154154_com.android.chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Although I agree with most of your post. We have won 4 games in a row PP or not, I don’t think anyone gets axed. It might be something they look at tweaking in the off-season but for now it’s just going to have to play out. Let’s just hope they start to figure something out. Also I think Hughes plays on the second unit for awhile yet. He gives the second unit an actual chance of scoring

2nd unit should be Edler and Myers on point. 2nd unit should be shooting from point while 1st unit gets loaded up with pettersson, boeser and hughes. 1st unit needs our best players so we are wasting hughes talent on 2nd unit that plays like 30 seconds

9 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't understand why Petey isn't at the 1T spot on the 5 on 3. Why do you have him down low??? There's 1 FWD. And if they attack its a 4 on 2. Instead they have him down around the hash mark/bottom of the circle with Edler as the shooter. Makes no sense. 

they want Boeser and Pettersson to setup Edler the sniper from the point since Edler has the best shot on this team. The way Edler shoots into shin pads is magnificent

• Haha 1

I only watched the 3rd last night, but saw 2 things in the PP.. 

1st, let's not forget who they were up against.. we pot 3 against Detroit and it feels like they've got it figured out. STL is a different story. 

2nd, the team still needs to gel, and not just on the powerplay.. JT Miller seems like the real deal and the lines are starting to settle, but let's give it at least a dozen games before we get out the pitchforks.. 

on the other hand, I believe NB should have been promoted to Treasured Canucks Fan sometime around May 1st.. not sure anything's going to happen now. 

The PP is mediocre at the moment, theres no denying it. That being said, it hasn't hurt our place in the standings, yet. Long term you want your team to have a combined PK and PP percentage of around 105% to be better than average (number one last year was Tampa at 113%). Our PK is currently shouldering the load at 95% but best case scenario will end up at 85% by seasons end. That means our PP (which is currently at 16.7%) probably only has to improve by about 3-5% to keep us competitive with other playoff teams. Thats not an insurmountable improvement for this group of players so no need to hit the panic button just yet.