The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Senators trying to trade for forward

Could the Canucks be a good trading partner with our current situation?

A handful of injuries up front are forcing the Ottawa Senators to seek out external reinforcements.

The Senators are "trying hard to add a forward," Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman wrote in his "31 Thoughts" column Wednesday.

Two of the club's top three centers recently went down with injuries: Colin White will miss three-to-five weeks with a hip flexor and Artem Anisimov is out one-to-two weeks with a lower-body ailment.

Senators general manager Pierre Dorion has already shown a willingness to make moves early in the season, acquiring forward Vladislav Namestnikov from the New York Rangers earlier in October in exchange for a fourth-round pick and defenseman Nick Ebert. The move has paid off brilliantly thus far; Namestnikov is currently tied for the team lead with six points in six games in a Sens uniform.

It's rare that teams look to trade away players so early in the season, but Toronto Maple Leafs forward Nic Petan is one individual reportedly on the trade block. It's worth noting Dorion and Leafs GM Kyle Dubas appear to have a strong working relationship, as the two teams pulled off a six-player trade this past summer.

In the meantime, the Senators have recalled 2016 first-round pick Logan Brown from the AHL and penciled him in on the top line. That will surely please his agent, who complained about the team's handling of Brown's development in early October.

The rebuilding Senators entered Wednesday with the NHL's worst record at 1-6-1.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1861555

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never say no until you hear the return. I'd generally prefer not to move him either (and have him in Utica as one of the first call ups) but it's pretty clear that with Roussel returning, we need to move out some bodies and we can't presently fit Gaudette in to the lineup anyway.

Picking and choosing the rumor you want to believe.

The one name I could think of that we have that might remotely make sense for us would be Sutter. If Ottawa's looking for decent players who could hold down the fort they might have to look at taking on an overpaid contract so that's where my train of thought it going with this. It would basically be a similar situation to Namestnikov getting traded.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The one name I could think of that we have that might remotely make sense for us would be Sutter. If Ottawa's looking for decent players who could hold down the fort they might have to look at taking on an overpaid contract so that's where my train of thought it going with this. It would basically be a similar situation to Namestnikov getting traded.

Sure... but what's the benefit to us? Sutter's healthy and playing well and we don't need the cap space. 

If we need to move out any bodies (we do), it's likely at the log jam of middle 6 wingers, not our C's.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Was just about to say this myself (only if they think Gaudette is ready though).  Also for all the flack he gets I'm not sure it's necessarily in the team's best interest to move him now, since he and Beagle are definitely part of the reason why we're near the top of the league in PK percentage.  Would we be as good defensively and in face-offs with Brandon gone?  It could also have the trickle down effect of requiring Bo to play more on defense which may lead to there not being enough offense if he's bogged down in his own end.  Lastly, the return might not be the best (scrub and mid-low pick).

If I'm coach or GM I would alternate between Sutter and Gaudette on the 3rd line (just to keep Adam in it, see if he's fit for a prime PK role, and dangle Sutter with the occasional healthy scratch) so there would be momentum for a possible move.  Hopefully we don't also start losing or become worse defensively so we have the luxury to make a move.

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Was just about to say this myself (only if they think Gaudette is ready though).  Also for all the flack he gets I'm not sure it's necessarily in the team's best interest to move him now, since he and Beagle are definitely part of the reason why we're near the top of the league in PK percentage.  Would we be as good defensively and in face-offs with Brandon gone?  It could also have the trickle down effect of requiring Bo to play more on defense which may lead to there not being enough offense if he's bogged down in his own end.  Lastly, the return might not be the best (scrub and mid-low pick).

This ^^^

Unless they're taking Eriksson too or something, I don't see the point (and both players have some form of NTC).

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Que?

We have too many bodies when Roussel is back. That's not a rumour, it's math. We arguably have too many now with Gaudette sitting in the press box.

Nor was I 'picking and choosing' anything.

Care to try again?

Send Gaudette to minors. Math solved.

Good for his development, in comparison to sitting, as well?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Wow, Ottawa is a really terrible team in terms of depth.  I'm looking down their lineup, and quite honestly, there's nobody I'd want from their roster other than their top guys (ie. Tkachuk, Chabot, etc). 

Haven't looked deep into their prospect pool though.  Anything worthwhile there?

The only thing I see worth anything right now is the fact they have 5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds of this draft.  2 1sts and 3 2nds.  I'd take the SJS 1st round pick if possible. 

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

But people say he's playing well. He has value.

Very well. That's worth a first round draft pick then, at least, don't you think.

The Eriksson idea that was just posted above as I was typing would sweeten the pot. ^_^

Edited by John_Guest