The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Ban tablets during games?

Rate this topic

Had an interesting discussion with some friends the other day, regarding tablets and other video technology being used during the game by the coaching staff. You only need to watch a few hockey games to realize that the games can often been dragged out due to Coach's challenges (which the league have done a good job addressing). 

But I think the solution lands on one thing: banning the use of tables and instant-replay technology by the coaches during the game. Coach's challenges were incorporated into the game because of obvious calls (much like the Duchene video below), NOT for calls that require zoomed-in video technology where a player may have been offside by fractions of an inch (which is too close for the human eye to see and does not change the fairness of a game). 
I find that the use of video-technology and having a guy hired to watch replays of every goal to observe if there is part which could be reversed ruins the intelligence of the sport. If a coach can witness a blatant missed-call and challenge it, that's fine, but if it requires 5-minutes of video replay to see if a skate blade was in the air over the blue line to give an offside, that's not so fine.
I've also experienced this with the Shoot-out. Often, cameras will pan to a goalie watching replays of the next shooter to get a read on them. Ban the i-pad and force the goalies to do their research beforehand. 
I'm wondering what others think. Is the use of video replay technology by the coaching staff something that should be banned in the NHL? 

Edited by Top Sven Baercheese
  • Upvote 1

What difference does it really make? Strategy is part of the game and tablets assist with that. I don't care what goes on outside of the play. I care about the actual play and, if looking at a tablet for 30 seconds helps, then why not?

If you ban tablets, then perhaps we should ban paper and writing too? Where do we stop exactly?

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 3

Can't have it both ways.

If we want them to get the calls right at crucial moments then replays/challenges are necessary. 

If not,  then be prepared for history to be made and cups won because of humans errors. 

Replays aren't going anywhere imo - most other major league sports are introducing and/or increasing their use, not decreasing them.

• Upvote 3

I thought you meant in the stands when I saw the title.

Nothing quite like seeing 20k zombies staring at their screens instead of watching the game they paid hundreds of dollars to see.

I guess maybe the tickets need to cost more than phones, then maybe people will value them.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Is the use of video replay technology by the coaching staff something that should be banned in the NHL? 

All they would have to do is have some off-bench guy check out the replay and text / signal the coach.

Banning the technology from the bench wouldn't change anything other than the coach not being able to see it for himself.

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

They just need to stop giving coaches time before dropping the puck. Every time they wait for the coach to look at it which makes no sense to me.

this is a great answer.

2 refs:

1 call the goal

the other ask the coach if he wants to challenge, give him 5 seconds to answer

problem solved

HOwever I think moist delays are caused by Toronto ...

(not  a Leafs hater) haha

35 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

All they would have to do is have some off-bench guy check out the replay and text / signal the coach.

Banning the technology from the bench wouldn't change anything other than the coach not being able to see it for himself.

But I think that would be a good thing. 

Then teams will be scouting for the fastest video guys and paying them 6 figures, meanwhile the coach just throws the flag and hopes his guy is right.

I see that as a positive developement.

they could add that the $6 mil video guy has 30 seconds to provide the ref with video proof, it would take Toronto out of the equation.

Video guy- coach-flag-video guy-ref. 35 seconds, done

you could even link the video to the big screen so the fans can see it at the same time as the ref

The only thing I really hate is the micro offside coaches challenge, when they have to look at 4 different angles to determine the skate barely crossed the blue line before the puck.  Then the goal is called back.

But how can you ban a tablet when someone up in the press box could be using one and contacting the coach ?