The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

5 hours ago, flat land fish said:

Having some guys on your roster that the other team has to fear and it respect is a powerful deterrent.  Just a matter of big nik is on-board playing a 3rd pairing role on what is a good team.

Myers Ferland and Benn are already are helping with that, since the first season game, no one has seriously went after Petey and Flow to try to injure them.. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

Bullshi_!  He wouldn't have to train anywhere except on the team as Willy idiot D should have done in the first place.. I can't even fathom he even thought of sending him down for conditioning when we have coaches for that, especially since we needed his presence on the ice or on the bench as he earned mins, and everyone knew how soft we were.. 

He already knows what to expect here and I wouldn't go believing rumours either if I were you, I would have if I were him. WD was a joke coach and we paid for it dearly but he's gone and we stand a better chance of getting everything we need out of tree with Travis as benchboss, I have enough confidence in that so relax dude.. it'll be fine

Tryamkin had a 'no-AHL' clause; why Desjardin thought he could push him around is beyond me.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Tryamkin had a 'no-AHL' clause; why Desjardin thought he could push him around is beyond me.

Because he simply didn't use his head enough to ease him in properly and the media didn't help either.. typically blowing $&!# out of proportion to get looks or clicks.. 

WD is gone and needed to be gone sooner but at least TG has a lot better experience dealing with guys on a personal level so he can help guys motivate themselves and not trying to do it for them.. fail that there's less ice time or scratches but he gets it done.

Some guys sooner and some later but it seems to get done with most guys..

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, gurn said:

These players did not leave the best league and go to a lesser league.

Those Russian where HHOF players, are suggesting Nikita is of that calibre?

Thing is I am not assuming he is better, or he is worse; just saying I don't assume he is better.

Gurn………....you sound like Trump

Picking and choosing facts

Absolutely, no one, other than Tryamkin knows what he is thinking

Maybe, possibly Benning

And everyone is making assumptions and choosing to argue them like facts

you and (Me) have absolutely no idea how good he will be 

Whether he would be willing to go to the minors or accept a trade

Or anything else

And you conveniently choose not to talk about Radulov, who's story is exactly like Tryamkins

Let's just wait and see "if" he comes over and pray that he is at least a #4..and I say pray!

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Gurn………....you sound like Trump

Possibly the worst thing that has ever been said about me.

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Absolutely, no one, other than Tryamkin knows what he is thinking

Please show me anywhere I suggest I knew or know what Tryamkin is thinking?

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

And you conveniently choose not to talk about Radulov, who's story is exactly like Tryamkin

So, I don't mention one of the multiple players you talked about and you want to focus on him.?

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Let's just wait and see "if" he comes over and pray that he is at least a #4..and I say pray!

If you wish to pray, feel free, just leave me out of it.

6 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

you and (Me) have absolutely no idea how good he will be 

Which is why I said I don't assume he will be good or bad.

Which is why I said I don't ……..

43 minutes ago, gurn said:

Possibly the worst thing that has ever been said about me.

Please show me anywhere I suggest I knew or know what Tryamkin is thinking?

So, I don't mention one of the multiple players you talked about and you want to focus on him.?

If you wish to pray, feel free, just leave me out of it.

Which is why I said I don't assume he will be good or bad.

Which is why I said I don't ……..

Fake News! LOL

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:26 AM, -AJ- said:

Tryamkin wouldn't crack this roster as it is right now. His return would make no difference to our team right now IMO. The only "maybe" is if injuries hit us, but even then, he'd only be playing bottom pairing minutes and wouldn't have a significant impact IMO.

Perhaps your right about him not making a difference,.  But I do think Tryamkin could take a D position, once a player like Tanev is moved along,. Tanev being a player we should move before the TDL . 
 A player like Sautner Tryamkin Fantenberg Oljlevi replace a hole and move Tanev for a 2nd rnd pick.

i really hope we do not sign CT for next season, let the proper attrition of players from the system replace a position, and an asset/pick be returned for a vet to be moved and keep the wheel of the system rolling.

Tanev is not going to take this Team to a Cup Final this year,.  But any one of those players, including Tanev, will get this Team to the 2nd or 3rd round regardless.

Get something for Tanev while he is healthy.

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2019 at 6:29 PM, Salacious Crumb said:

Much like Edler I can see Tanman re-signing here for 4 or 5 more years at a nice number for the team.

.. “he will play,  he will play in a bubble, he will play in a body bag”..  

trade Tanev while he is healthy for a prospect or pick before the TDL.

Make a position for a D man out of our system.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SilentSam said:

.. “he will play,  he will play in a bubble, he will play in a body bag”..  

trade Tanev while he is healthy for a prospect or pick before the TDL.

Make a position for a D man out of our system.

I think you're underestimating what a loss Tanev would be if we traded him. I'm not against trading him, but only if we get a great return. Moving him simply to make room for younger players is a mistake IMO. Let them prove they're capable of filling his spot on the roster before gifting them free spots.

On 11/3/2019 at 7:38 PM, janisahockeynut said:

You know how much I have wanted Tryamkin back

but I am beginning to think that training camp is the time to 

start his come back

That way, he earns his spot and no one can argue about it

no gifting, no spot given, just earn it like everyone else

Too many questions coming at the end of the season

How good is he?

Does him coming back early make him waiver eligible for the expansion draft?

Who sits?

So, unless Benning know something we don't know...…….Entirely possible!

I would as soon have him start next year

But I would like him over here asap to acclimatize 

Skate with the boys through the summer, learn English, etc

Ya, I tend to agree with you about the timing of Tryamkin's arrival. We just don't need him at the moment. Maybe Tanev isn't re-signed? Maybe Stetcher is moved in the offseason? But Tryamkin doesn't crack our top 6 at the moment and we all know he has no interest in sitting in the pressbox. Honestly, with Rathbone, Woo, Juolevi, Rafferty, Brisbois, etc coming up (even Teves depending on who you ask) I wouldn't be surprised if Tryamkin was flipped for a draft pick. Although it might be nice to have him around for Podkolzin in a couple years. But our depth on D this year is the best it's been since our stanley cup run. No need to tweek anything right now.

16 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

What credible source says he could be coming back??? he won't consider coming back unless we guarantee him top 4 D-men minutes which makes no sense!

I've had enough of this guy... you can tell he's got some super ego when his agent put in a clause to exempt himself from going to the AHL... then jetted off to Russia for family reasons and lack of playing time. His #88 has been given to Gaudette and I honestly don't think he could take us to the next level.. I'd rather trade his rights for a 2nd round pick!

Maybe we should instead talk about Tryamkin possibly returning next season if Tanev is not extended.

Tryamkin is almost certainly coming back. It's been pretty well documented (google is your friend).

As far as the top 4 demands, he isn't exactly king sh!t in the K, so I think his demands would soften. Especially given how good/deep our team is now. That and we have a much more respected coach now. He'll def want top 6 minutes though. But he'll need to prove to Green that he's worthy of the minutes and I don't think any player, NHL or KHL should be any different. 

On the flip side, 2nd round picks don't grow on trees. For a guy I wrote off 2 years ago, that's a pretty solid return. 

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I think you're underestimating what a loss Tanev would be if we traded him. I'm not against trading him, but only if we get a great return. Moving him simply to make room for younger players is a mistake IMO. Let them prove they're capable of filling his spot on the roster before gifting them free spots.

.. or prepare to lose Tanev in a body bag?
A loss for what? This team can and will progress without CT.

He was targeted again a couple of games ago

When the opposition knows if we are already a D man down (Hughes) and then Sautner, they know where there next free lunch is.

He was trying to avoid being hit early in the season and did well to complete the plays he needed to and the avoid the hits..  but I’m seeing him tire on it lately.

There are players in the system that will replace Tanev next season,  his UFA year,  time to get something for a healthy player before losing him for nothing.

i respect your opinion AJ, and I know you respect mine,.  Let’s watch this unfold,. I just see it as something we must do, and to break the tradition of hanging on to a player too long and not getting a pick or prospect to replenish a system that will offer a player from it, to replace Tanev next season.

i hold a greater value in what Tanev brings in return, vs playing out his final season for nothing, only to lose him or hold back the potential of next season.

Edited by SilentSam

6 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

Tryamkin is almost certainly coming back. It's been pretty well documented (google is your friend).

As far as the top 4 demands, he isn't exactly king sh!t in the K, so I think his demands would soften. Especially given how good/deep our team is now. That and we have a much more respected coach now. He'll def want top 6 minutes though. But he'll need to prove to Green that he's worthy of the minutes and I don't think any player, NHL or KHL should be any different. 

On the flip side, 2nd round picks don't grow on trees. For a guy I wrote off 2 years ago, that's a pretty solid return. 

Well honestly, I don't mind him back with us.. he does provide size and toughness... and pretty good skating ability. But we shouldn't guarantee him top 6 starter minutes... to me, he's just an upgrade over Fantenberg who might surprise all of us once he gets a chance to play!! I just don't wanna hear about his ego and demands all over again!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

I honestly don't think Nik is going to be able to put us over the top.  Also, I don't see Nik being able to step into a top 4 spot on the d-core.  He would be in the 6th or 7th spot on the back end.  Hope I am wrong but just a thought.

Just now, 4thLineGrinder said:

yesterdays dark horse is tomorrows favorite

don't look now but the bookies know whats up as the canucks power ranking rises

Good point.  Bookies make mistakes, but not very often, or they wouldn't be bookies any more, right?  

On 11/4/2019 at 9:52 AM, janisahockeynut said:

Why would you think otherwise?

Petey played in the SHL the year before coming over, and it is a lesser league than the KHL

It did not seem to hurt his development 

Austin Mathews played in the Swiss league....it did not hurt him

Alexander Radulov's playing history is very much like Tryamkin's

his history is actually more questionable by your standards

He played 2 years in the NHL, then back to the KHL for 4, then back to the NHL for 9 games

then back to the KHL for another 4 years, then back to the NHL at 30 years of age

where the last 2 years he has had 72 point seasons.

The problem, is that some people think you can not develop anywhere but the NHL

which has been totally debunked

There were some pretty good older Russian defensemen that came over at the same time as

Larionov and Markarov back in 1989-1990 season.

(these 2 were older than Tryamkin is now, when they came) 

The guys played in Detroit, and Pittsburgh, the names escape me, but the guys mentioned

played very good hockey over here when they came, and again by your standards

they should not have been able to keep up, or have any skill

The point is, we will not know, until he gets here, and has had some time to adjust

Very foolish to write him off before he even gets here

Those guys were mostly Red Army vets. When you read about what Bure said during his time with Red Army you can understand why those Russian players started jumping the fence to get out. 

I questioned the idea of bringing Tryamkin onto the team next spring if the club was headed for playoffs. On reflection I would support it. While I said last spring that this team would make playoffs this year I do not consider them serious contenders yet. Playoffs this year will be the accelerated learning curve. The Canucks have to get a quick read on Tryamkin as the log jam on d-side depth is mounting. It would also give him the opportunity to gauge his own development and what he needs to do during the summer to be ready for next fall. I am not convinced that he is a long term solution for the Canucks but I am willing to look.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Those guys were mostly Red Army vets. When you read about what Bure said during his time with Red Army you can understand why those Russian players started jumping the fence to get out. 

I questioned the idea of bringing Tryamkin onto the team next spring if the club was headed for playoffs. On reflection I would support it. While I said last spring that this team would make playoffs this year I do not consider them serious contenders yet. Playoffs this year will be the accelerated learning curve. The Canucks have to get a quick read on Tryamkin as the log jam on d-side depth is mounting. It would also give him the opportunity to gauge his own development and what he needs to do during the summer to be ready for next fall. I am not convinced that he is a long term solution for the Canucks but I am willing to look.

This a great post. 

I differ with you a little, in that I feel he will come in better than when he left. But I totally get your point, and agree with you in general.

For me, Tryamkin is only one spoke in the wheel. It is an exciting time, with so many great young pros and our prospect keep on raising their game. Now Palmu, which is a long shot, but still a lot better than the way he left.

I am now, mostly into sitting back and enjoying the games, and not worrying too much about anything. I have parked the tank and thrown the keys away. I am more into watching our prospects develop and see what they have.

I am blown away, in that Hughes has come in and done exactly what was advertised, but am equally as impressed with how Demko has come in and played like a seasoned veteran....he is totally under the NHL radar.

Right now, I am probably more interested in how Benning deals with the cap, and Markstrom and Tanev, as the question is, how does he plan to proceed with their contracts, and does he plan moving them, signing them, or making a deal with Seattle.

All very interesting. 

Tryamkin is one of 3 or 4 big questions facing Benning this year

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1