The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

I get excited when it comes to this guy because of 2 things:

1. I watched him play. 

2. Hes everything a Canucks fan ever wanted.

Not wanting this guy on our team is so counter intuitive its almost tantamount to sabotage.  I watched 

him play I bought a ticket to a game when the Canucks sucked... just to watch him play. Will we win 

a Cup if he joins? No but we would be greatly improved if he did. Fools talking about would he make

an impact? Its like sometimes the bandwagoneers just wave the flag themselves. All 20+ people who liked

that post get the F outta here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Love big Nik.  He would fit in perfectly on our third pair.  Then, with more NHL experience, he’d move into out top four.  Guy could be a serious minute muncher.

Tryamkin had all sorts of potential.  I have to wonder if what he reportedly said regarding being disappointed at his ice time was true.  Does he really feel entitled or was something lost in translation?

1 hour ago, Duodenum said:

Tryamkin isn't going to leave Russia to be a depth guy here. 

He's definitely not coming to be a 7/8 D.  I have to wonder if he is going to expect to be a 3/4 getting 20 mins at least because he's going to have to earn that.  This was his potential but we just don't know how good he is going to be after 3 seasons in the KHL.  Could he replace Edler?  I don't think he's that good.  Prove me wrong Nik.

25 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Tryamkin had all sorts of potential.  I have to wonder if what he reportedly said regarding being disappointed at his ice time was true.  Does he really feel entitled or was something lost in translation?

He's definitely not coming to be a 7/8 D.  I have to wonder if he is going to expect to be a 3/4 getting 20 mins at least because he's going to have to earn that.  This was his potential but we just don't know how good he is going to be after 3 seasons in the KHL.  Could he replace Edler?  I don't think he's that good.  Prove me wrong Nik.

Why is he replacing Edler?

6 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Eddy's old

But it's not on Tryamkin to take over our defacto #1. If he does, it's a huge success. You're wondering if he can be a 3/4 dman playing 20 mins and that's not what Edler is. Edler is going to be difficult to replace no matter how you slice it.

Tryamkin currently plays those minutes and more in the KHL and while the competition isn't the same, I think he could handle 20 minutes a night at the NHL level. Not to say I would hand that to him, but I don't see it being an issue.

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

No idea where this talk comes from its based off of complete hearsay it has to be because you have not seen him play lately. UNTIL he comes over and plays some NHL games you cannot draw the conclusion you just made. I dont think that we are so good defensively he would not have an impact on this team. 

I qualify this by adding our D core is by no means has the grit and tenacity to win rounds in playoffs. Now are they skilled? Yes. Are we also kind of fragile, Yes. Tryamkin has the skill set AND the size hes like Myers but meaner. IMHO. 

Time will tell tho ONLY when he comes and puts skates on the ice do we draw any conclusions. I mean you would not even have a space for him on this team? Are you high... right now?

I can't know for sure, as you say, but we can draw conclusions. When Tryamkin came to the NHL and played on our team, our d-core was much, much weaker than it is now. Beating out Del Zotto, Pouliot, and Gudbranson is much easier than beating out Myers, Stecher, and Benn. Secondly, He arrived in Vancouver after some time in the KHL with Yekaterinburg Automobilist and he was scoring about 0.21 points per game with them over in the KHL in 53 games in 2015-16. Immediately upon his return the KHL, he was better than ever. Last year, he dropped off a bit, but was still better than in 2015-16. This year, he had 4 points in 21 games. He is 25 years old and his progression has slowed down and is having his roughest year offensively since 2014-15.

If he comes over, I have no problem with giving him some time to show his stuff, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume he will instantly usurp Stecher and Benn based on what we've seen in the KHL (and his previous time in Vancouver).

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, warrchief said:

Why ruin the chemistry we have right now? The D core looks great right now and I wouldn't worry too much about Tryamkin. 

He needs to prove to Green he is physically fit and he can overtake someone on our team. At this rate, it might be Stetcher. 

Tryamkin isn't returning now. It'll be in February at earliest. Things could change by then. Adding more solid depth is only going to be beneficial dealing with injuries or utilizing in a trade to help bolster in other areas of the lineup. Tryamkin logs over 20 mins a night in the KHL. I think it's safe to say that his conditioning is likely better than the first time he came here especially if he's arriving after playing a season in the KHL. He's a leader for his team and he wouldn't be if he didn't take his profession seriously.

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I can't know for sure, as you say, but we can draw conclusions. When Tryamkin came to the NHL and played on our team, our d-core was much, much weaker than it is now. Beating out Del Zotto, Pouliot, and Gudbranson is much easier than beating out Myers, Stecher, and Benn. Secondly, He arrived in Vancouver after some time in the KHL with Yekaterinburg Automobilist and he was scoring about 0.21 points per game with them over in the KHL in 53 games in 2015-16. Immediately upon his return the KHL, he was better than ever. Last year, he dropped off a bit, but was still better than in 2015-16. This year, he had 4 points in 21 games. He is 25 years old and his progression has slowed down and is having his roughest year offensively since 2014-15.

If he comes over, I have no problem with giving him some time to show his stuff, but I don't think it's reasonable to assume he will instantly usurp Stecher and Benn based on what we've seen in the KHL (and his previous time in Vancouver).

If the expectation is that we are looking for some type of offensive dman from him, then I can see the concern of drop in production. I think he's been improving his conditioning and defensive game. He's being used for their PK and often partnered with a more veteran defensive dman (not sure if it's to insulate him, form a shutdown pair or simply grooming him). A recent game for them, they lost 6-1 yet he got the goal and was a +1. Perhaps their team isn't as strong to compliment him.

Tryamkin's game has always been about how well he skates for someone his size. He may or may not take over a spot immediately, but the qualities that he has as a player does fit into how our defense is built. We have boosted our forwards with size and guys that can skate well. I can see something similar happening for our dmen as well which unfortunately might mean Stecher would indeed be the odd man out. I hope Stecher accepts a lesser role and is willing to be a #7 next year, but at the same time, we may be ready to simply move on with our depth which is increased with the addition of Tryamkin.

I'm sure its been said before but Tryamkin just wouldn't have a place on this roster right now. Come January, I'm sure the team could use him but not really possible even at that point. If this team has a decent year, I wouldn't be surprised if he toys around with the idea of returning next season.

Does anyone even remember last years Stanley Cup?

The physicality? The board battles and crease battles? 

Yeah I think Tryamkin could help in the playoffs. Especially when the refs put the whistles away.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Ur a Towel said:

Tryamkin is massively overrated on this sub. As most people have already said here, I doubt he even cracks our top 6 unless there's an injury. 

He shot himself in the foot for not trying to impress on a weak defensive core couple years ago with easy opportunities to prove himself now the competition for our top6 is to much for him to get a reasonable chance to prove himself, RIP Tryamkin

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

I want to be careful with how I word this post because I don’t want to come across as a guy that is being too homeristic......or a guy that is overreacting to what has essentially been a good STRETCH (stretch being the operative word here........atleast as of this writing) of play.  

Here is what I think:

We are extremely deep up front and in net:  

The Canucks are really deep up front even with injuries.    Assuming a fully healthy roster (I’ll pretend that Roussel replaces Leivo and Ferland moves to the right side), you’d have Leivo, Eriksson, Gaudette, Baertschi, and Goldobin as your substitutes.    That is REALLY good depth on the wings and down the middle (Miller can also play Center).  

In net, you obviously have both Marky and Demko.

Having said that, here is the one true weakness that I see on the Canucks.

Our depth on defense has come a long way, but we would still be in tough with TWO injuries to the top 4:  

My *only* small point of contention for this team, is that we are still a little thin on defense (although we’ve come a long way).    As of right now, this Canucks team will be in a bit tough IF TWO of Edler, Hughes, Myers, and Tanev get injured for an extended period of time.   

Like I said - our organizational depth on defense has come a long way, but we’re still not quite where we need to be.

Up front - many of our substitutes such as Baertschi, Eriksson, Leivo, etc., could fill in on the top 6 and not look horribly out of place, whereas guys like Fantenberg, Juolevi, Chatfield, Brisebois, Teves, etc., would pretty much need to be 3rd pairing defensive guys in case of injuries......and as of this writing, they’d be very marginal 3rd pairing calibre guys.    Their presence on the 3rd pairing would force guys like Benn and Stecher to move up to the 2nd pair (a spot where both dmen would be considered ‘marginal’ as far as 2nd pairing calibre dmen went).

Bottom line:  The Canucks are surprisingly deep up front, but are still a little thin on defense.  

What’s the solution?    My hopeful solution is as follows:   Tryamkin returns to the Canucks at some point this season.    IF Tryamkin returns to the Canucks and is used as our designated 7th defenseman (or if not Tree, then one of Stecher or Benn), THEN I would consider our D to be “deep,”.......and would consider our team to be ready to truly ready to battle when you factor in inevitable injuries.

I think the addition of Tryamkin would make us one of the deepest organizations in the NHL and would ensure that our defense would remain relatively solid even with 2 key injuries to the top 4.  

We already ARE a legit darkhorse, have reasonable depth but it also depends on other teams injuries to key players, and we've lost so many man hours to injuries and we had next to zero depth when it started after the Bruins loss 2012, IF we, for a change get through the year with some luck for a change we'd at least be a contender for getting in the post season. (Step 1)

Even making a run will help pull our team closer together for best chemistry since there's been a lot of changes but still tweaks to do as we go along.. 

Tryamkin not being able to crack the line-up now? Someone on crack? Wow.. better upside than stech, can stetch clear the crease? Nope, Stech rub a guy out like being hit by a train? No? Stech have a wing span and stick check capable like Try's? Nope..

Could easily take Benn's place, C'mon.. get real please..lol

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

We already ARE a legit darkhorse, have reasonable depth but it also depends on other teams injuries to key players, and we've lost so many man hours to injuries and we had next to zero depth when it started after the Bruins loss 2012, IF we, for a change get through the year with some luck for a change we'd at least be a contender for getting in the post season. (Step 1)

Even making a run will help pull our team closer together for best chemistry since there's been a lot of changes but still tweaks to do as we go along.. 

Tryamkin not being able to crack the line-up now? Someone on crack? Wow.. better upside than stech, can stetch clear the crease? Nope, Stech rub a guy out like being hit by a train? No? Stech have a wing span and stick check capable like Try's? Nope..

Could easily take Benn's place, C'mon.. get real please..lol

I for one think that Tryamkin would be better than both Stecher and Benn if he came back here, but I wanted to be as conservative as possible (and so I listed Tree and being an upgrade over Fantenberg as our 7th dman).

• Cheers 1

If we stay healthy we’re already a dark horse imo. How many top teams were upset last season in the first round of the playoffs? Once you make it anything can happen. Don’t need Tryamkin to do that. Injuries, illness, referees, equipment, there’s so many potential things outside a teams control that can go bad that will decide future winners and losers, we just don’t know who will be who until after 7 games of hockey played.

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Easily would replace a bottom 6 guy. All day.

• Upvote 1

Bring back the tree.

Plant him in front of the net.

Seriously, I think Tryamkin is money in the bank for the Canucks.

We may need him.

We may want him.

We have his rights.

And Shirotashi nailed it for me when he said, "He is every thing a Canucks fan ever wanted".

He is exciting and skilled and one of a kind.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Industrious1 said:

Is there some sort of indication that Tryamkin is actually returning?

People seem to forget he didn't want to play here.  Didn't like the city, didn't like the coaching staff.

You can change the coach, but you can't change the city.

I didn't get indication that he doesn't want to play here. He did comment about the weed smell, but that's it, hardly not liking the city simply because of that.

With that said, he's said a in couple of interviews that he would like to give it another shot in the NHL (not necessarily here), but his social media has him still in a Canucks jersey and he's been following Canuck activities (possibly for his buddy Goldy). Theres nothing surefire, but enough smoke to believe that he would try again. If he doesn't like it here, bring him back so he has more value to trade.

• Upvote 1