The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Would the Canucks be a legit playoff darkhorse if Nikita Tryamkin returned this season?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

People keep saying the want to add seabrook for eriksson. Seabrooke has 5 years at almost 7mill. Eriksson is 3 years at 6.

If Chicago is sucking farts with Seabrooke why would the canucks want him?

Probably because people don't look at what seabrook's contract actually is. And are still hanging onto the idea of all star Seabrook from 2010-2013

6 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Tree would still be a significant upgrade over Fantenberg and any of our other guys that we have in the AHL..........THAT is the point of my post.   A far greater insurance against injuries, which would make us far less susceptible to a drop off in play when the inevitable injuries to the D hit. 

Just a question, but what makes you think he's a massive upgrade over any of our other D in our system? Again, I think you're overrating Tryamkin and in this case, underrating Fantenberg. Fantenberg has proven he can play in the NHL and was a guy that Calgary did not want to let go of but had to. 

If an injury happened in our top 4, we'd be much better off having Stecher covering there as he's already proven he can for periods of time last year.

Tryamkin struggled to make our defence a few years ago when it was thin and he's not lighting it up this year either. He is not a proven NHL defenceman at this point in time and I don't think he'd help us this year.
If anything, Rafferty is having a great year so far and Joulevi is starting to get going now too. IMO, all 3 of these guys are ahead of Tryamkin on our depth list.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Tryamkin wouldn't crack this roster as it is right now. His return would make no difference to our team right now IMO. The only "maybe" is if injuries hit us, but even then, he'd only be playing bottom pairing minutes and wouldn't have a significant impact IMO.

QFT

6 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Tree would still be a significant upgrade over Fantenberg and any of our other guys that we have in the AHL..........THAT is the point of my post.   A far greater insurance against injuries, which would make us far less susceptible to a drop off in play when the inevitable injuries to the D hit. 

I think you underestimate Fantenberg and/or overestimate Tryamkin. We haven't seen the dude in nearly 3 years. And when he was here he struggled on and off. Had conditioning issues, that CDC overlooks cause he's tall. I'd have to see him actually play before saying upgrading our depth D man all of a sudden makes us a dark horse team.

Although, I'd argue we are a legit dark horse team now. All it takes is a hot goalie to make any team dangerous. We have good depth at all positions, with and without Tryamkin. We have elite talent in Petey, Boeser, and Hughes and even Horvat has game changing talent. It'd be nice to have Tryamkin back just to see if he can still be a legit top 6 maybe top 4 guy but with the current makeup I am fine without him. I'll get back to you in January-March if we get hit with injuries.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I love your enthusiasm, but I still have questions about this team if we get 1-2 injuries to our D.......especially if those injuries are to Edler and Tanev, and we’ve seen how vulnerable those two guys are these past 4 years.

Having Tryamkin as our 7th dman is a MUCH better option than Fantenberg and any of our AHL guys.

Hard to really judge and say that when we haven't really seen a healthy Juolevi or healthy Fantenberg.

Tryamkin would have to earn his keep and if we are rolling into the playoffs with a solid top six, TG won't tinker with it unless injuries or someone is crapping the bed badly.  I don't see Nikita liking that either.  Highly doubt he bothers coming back.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I love your enthusiasm, but I still have questions about this team if we get 1-2 injuries to our D.......especially if those injuries are to Edler and Tanev, and we’ve seen how vulnerable those two guys are these past 4 years.

Having Tryamkin as our 7th dman is a MUCH better option than Fantenberg and any of our AHL guys.

Same goes for any team if they lose 1 or 2 of their top-4.  Sautner, Brisebois, Rafferty, and Fantenberg are comparable and arguably better than Pouliot, MDZ, and Biega.  There's also the issue of whether Tryamkin would come back knowing that he's likely 3rd pairing, as that was one of the reasons he left in the first place.

38 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Tryamkin wouldn't crack this roster as it is right now. His return would make no difference to our team right now IMO. The only "maybe" is if injuries hit us, but even then, he'd only be playing bottom pairing minutes and wouldn't have a significant impact IMO.

AJ, I get your point, but as I came on here to caution Hindu Stan, I will do the same thing to the other side as well.

We honestly do not know how Tryamkin would do, and my guess will be that Benning will bring him over and slot him into the #7 for the remaining part of

this year..."IF" he comes.

Who, is to say, exactly how he does? He will be more mature, and seasoned. IMO, he will understand to a much greater extent, what is expected of him, and how 

tp prepare for the NHL. 

IMO, the question is, can Tryamkin work into Tanev's spot, and can Benn step in, if Tryamkin falters...…..that is if Tryamkin can unseed Tanev......

I just do not see that happening this year, so Tryamkin, IMO will get the #7 spot, until training camp, again...…."IF" he comes.

It would not surprise me at this stage to see a sign and trade, if the return is good...………….Tampa, Wash or Ottawa IMO, but that is just "IF" Benning doesn't think he is a fit.

Personally, I think he is a fit...…...time will tell

And even as Tryamkins biggest fan, I think Hindu Stan is premature on this one...……..

26 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The point is though would he come back and not be a distraction if he was a 7th damn? He refused to goto the AHL the first time around and demanded ice time as if he was God's gift to defense.

Why do you think he would settle for 7th slot when he is top slot and captain of his team in KHL?

Edited by st33
  • Upvote 1

I've been on the Tryamkin train since he left and couldn't wait to see back in the lineup. And I still do think he can find a place on the team. The thought of having two bug guys like Tryamkin and Myers on our backend is exciting.

The things is ... our D has been working hard to click together and find their collective game along with honing our special teams. I just can't see Tryamkin fitting into the roster unearned and being gifted a spot like that. He doesn't have chemistry with anyone and there's also the language barrier. I think it would be really awkward for him and the team if he comes in late season. I'm not opposed to it, it's just harder to see given the new dynamics.

If he was dominating the KHL, you could make a case that it would be more of a no brainer but he hasn't been. The team is at a higher level since he was last here. He'd have no adjustment time at all. I think it would be a big challenge for him to step immediately from the KHL.

With that said, though, I think it may be more valuable to have him come over and be part of the team as a spectator. I think it's better if he takes the offseason to prepare for a return, get himself in shape, study the team D, get to know some of the guys, understand that he needs to earn his spor, get with the program, and look to next season the right way.

Again, not opposed to seeing him in the lineup late this season. Just have a hard time seeing how that happens.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Seabrook for Loui, etc, are other depth D possibilities. 

I’m sure there are several. 

Tree is largely an unknown in many aspects. 

when is the last time you have seen seabrook play?  at 6.5 million at like 3 more years   come on man    why do that when u cant get tree at round 3. or less

48 minutes ago, Ur a Towel said:

Just a question, but what makes you think he's a massive upgrade over any of our other D in our system? Again, I think you're overrating Tryamkin and in this case, underrating Fantenberg. Fantenberg has proven he can play in the NHL and was a guy that Calgary did not want to let go of but had to. 

If an injury happened in our top 4, we'd be much better off having Stecher covering there as he's already proven he can for periods of time last year.

Tryamkin struggled to make our defence a few years ago when it was thin and he's not lighting it up this year either. He is not a proven NHL defenceman at this point in time and I don't think he'd help us this year.
If anything, Rafferty is having a great year so far and Joulevi is starting to get going now too. IMO, all 3 of these guys are ahead of Tryamkin on our depth list.

You might be right about Fantenberg and Stecher, but I’m not sure if I agree with you regarding Tryamkin.

When Tryamkin was here, he looked very physically dominant and positionally sound.   He also looked surprisingly agile for a guy his size.  

Tryamkin wasn’t Zdeno Chara by any means, but he looked pretty solid.  

• Upvote 1

To the people saying that “we are a dark hose playoff team right now even without Tryamkin,” I say the following:

Given that injuries are inevitable, I think the Canucks will be a wildcard playoff team.

With Tryamkin however, it’s just my opinion that the Canucks will not only be a playoff team, but will have some potential to cause some upsets......upsets as in plural.    I say this not because I think Tryamkin is a Top pairing guy, but rather, Tryamkin’s presence ensuring that the Canucks wouldn’t have a major drop off in terms of icing quality defensemen when injuries hit.

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Tryamkin solidifies our D on the back end the depth we need in case of Injury.  With Tryamkin and Fantenburg able to step in from time to time we are in a very good position.  I still feel that Tryamkin starts to replace Tanev over time eventhough Tanev has been fantastic.

Tryamkin replaces Tanev within a year and Joulevi replaces Edler within 3 years give or take.

Juolevi will be up this season and we have others coming along nicely, not quite sure that we need Tryamkin 

It is always nice to have extra size on the defensive side of the game,no more getting pushed around and being the punishers would be an honest treat for the Canuck fans around the globe to see.All the way to the finals and finally win our first Stanley Cup.

You all know, as long time fans of our hometown team we would enjoy that forever.

• Cheers 1

I don't think Tree has to have anything to do with this thread. I think we're legit contenders at this point in the season so far. We're such a complete team with fantastic depth, a great system, and compete, compete, compete. Tree or no Tree, we are ready to make a run.

• Cheers 1