The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Three Leafs on the block

Provost

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree.  No way I trade any of our recent picks for rentals.  It would have to be for established NHL players who are young enough to blend in with the core and won't become UFA's for several more years or they are on great long term contracts like Miller.  Little Bertuzzi and Anthony Mantha would be 2 players I would consider trading some of our prospects for.  There are others but those are 2 that I really like.  Not saying we should trade anyone but it is obvious we have a big hole in our top 6 and I'm not sure Benning wants to wait several more years to fill it.  BO needs help now.

Some commenters, just wants to be seen as genuises.  

On 12/29/2019 at 2:00 PM, Dungass said:

I have a hunch Benning is hunting bigger fish.  Word had it we were scouting Kings games heavily this year, Toffoli being the most likely target.  Benning has gone on record as saying he's looking to add a top-six winger. If he's established, they don't come cheap.  Ask him about JT Miller.  I wouldn't be shocked if we are sniffing around Brandon Saad or Andreas Athanasiou either.  They might have been looking at Anderson in Columbus as well, before he got hurt.  If Benning adds, I would it expect it to be a big heavy winger.  Oh boy, I know I'm going to get filleted for this this, but I could see the team including Kole Lind in the package.  Got to pay to play.

Toffoli can't be expensive. 2015-2016 was a long time ago. Check out his stats since. I'm thinking this package is close:

4th round pick

Goldy or Boucher

Linus Karlsson or Toni Utunen

Screenshot_20191230-175013_Chrome.jpg

On 12/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, Crabcakes said:

Ya, no to rentals 

Was on the Comets website and was pleasantly surprised to see Lind near the top of the stat sheet (5) with 10-17-27 in 33 games.  He's a keeper

And the stats don't tell the full story. Lind plays with an edge and has an above average 2 way game. Plus he's only just scratching the surface. He finally figured things out at the pro level this year and here we are at the 33 game mark of the season. He just turned 21 and is only going to get better. Once he makes the jump, he's a player that has the potential to play anywhere in your lineup.

The clock is ticking on Kole Lind's AHL career. I'd expect him to get the Adam Gaudette treatment going back amd forth to Utica for a bit but I expect him to be a full time NHL player within the next 2 years. 

Edit:

And I hope Gadjovich isn't too far behind. He's showing promise in his 2nd pro season but he still has a ways to go. Look for Gadjovich to be next year's breakout player in Utica.

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Toffoli can't be expensive. 2015-2016 was a long time ago. Check out his stats since. I'm thinking this package is close:

4th round pick

Goldy or Boucher

Linus Karlsson or Toni Utunen

Screenshot_20191230-175013_Chrome.jpg

I could see Benning packaging a decent pick/prospect with Baertschi for him. Part of it would be for Toffoli, and the other part for talking Sven’s cap hit next year.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I could see Benning packaging a decent pick/prospect with Baertschi for him. Part of it would be for Toffoli, and the other part for talking Sven’s cap hit next year.

That would make sense. Probably more so than my proposal. But who would you be willing to give up to entice LA? Rathbone? Woo? I think we need to hang onto our D prospects. I definitely wouldn't give up Lind, Podkolzin or Hoglander. Not sure how we make this one work?

Would Rafferty be enough to get them to take Baertschi? I don't think so.

Edited by VIC_CITY

46 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

And the stats don't tell the full story. Lind plays with an edge and has an above average 2 way game. Plus he's only just scratching the surface. He finally figured things out at the pro level this year and here we are at the 33 game mark of the season. He just turned 21 and is only going to get better. Once he makes the jump, he's a player that has the potential to play anywhere in your lineup.

The clock is ticking on Kole Lind's AHL career. I'd expect him to get the Adam Gaudette treatment going back amd forth to Utica for a bit but I expect him to be a full time NHL player within the next 2 years. 

Edit:

And I hope Gadjivich isn't too far behind. He's showing promise in his 2nd pro season but he still has a ways to go. Look for Gadjovich to be next year's breakout player in Utica.

Sometimes it takes a little time.  It's great to see a young player finding success.  Hey, remember a year ago when Canuck fans were gathering with pitchforks and torches to go after Trent Cull?  Maybe that's why they want their AHL franchise on the other side of the continent ::D

59 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Edit:

And I hope Gadjivich isn't too far behind. He's showing promise in his 2nd pro season but he still has a ways to go. Look for Gadjovich to be next year's breakout player in Utica.

Due to the cap. I believe it benefits a team to have prospects at varying degrees of developement cause if not, a Toronto situation will happen were each player wants to get paid.   I hope, they give these propsects the time and support they need to develope at there own pace - just my opinion....

47 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Sometimes it takes a little time.  It's great to see a young player finding success.  Hey, remember a year ago when Canuck fans were gathering with pitchforks and torches to go after Trent Cull?  Maybe that's why they want their AHL franchise on the other side of the continent 

From the outside looking in, I'd say Trent Cull is looking like another Travis Green in the making. Other tham Palmu and Dahlen, he's really got the most out of his players and now that the dust has settled, I can't blame him for the Palmu/Dahlen situations. I'm sure it was a good learning experience for him as a coach. But Gaudette, Demko, Boucher, Lind, DiPietro, MacEwen, etc seem to be doing very well under his tutelage. So he's good in my books. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

Sometimes it takes a little time.  It's great to see a young player finding success.  Hey, remember a year ago when Canuck fans were gathering with pitchforks and torches to go after Trent Cull?  Maybe that's why they want their AHL franchise on the other side of the continent ::D

That was a Matt Sekeres thing. I could practically see his spittle coming out of my car radio speakers as he ranted on and on about Cull.

What a dork!

Glad they sent Dahlen packing. What a child.

• Cheers 1

On 12/29/2019 at 2:00 PM, Dungass said:

I have a hunch Benning is hunting bigger fish.  Word had it we were scouting Kings games heavily this year, Toffoli being the most likely target.  Benning has gone on record as saying he's looking to add a top-six winger. If he's established, they don't come cheap.  Ask him about JT Miller.  I wouldn't be shocked if we are sniffing around Brandon Saad or Andreas Athanasiou either.  They might have been looking at Anderson in Columbus as well, before he got hurt.  If Benning adds, I would it expect it to be a big heavy winger.  Oh boy, I know I'm going to get filleted for this this, but I could see the team including Kole Lind in the package.  Got to pay to play.

Solid post, it's unfortunate how people take things on tangents here. 

I'm of the opinion that we could move out some prospect depth for a deadline deal. I have Lind among the untouchables though. Woo and Gadjovich seem to be regressing and would be solid if packaged. 

I'd compare our situation to the reverse-Vanek of years past; wherein we traded for a solid prospect type in Motte. It was the best thing offered, so let's do something similar if we can view that as a solid price point. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

It would have to be Brandon Sutter to make the cap space and roster spots work.

My guess is they would not want to trade with us unless we really overpaid. Probably a 2nd rounder and a prospect like Lind or Hoglander.

We’re not in the position to be selling prospects for rentals. We’ll be getting Leivo and Ferland back for the playoff push anyways. Potentially even Tryamkin. We don’t have room.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 1