The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mathieu Perreault comments on Virtanen (interviewed in a salt mine)

Rate this topic

-SN-

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I honestly thought putting Parros in charge would change things in the DoPS but so far, it's been business as usual:

giphy-downsized-large.gif

You thought the former NHL enforcer with a clothing line advocating violence would clean things up?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I honestly thought putting Parros in charge would change things in the DoPS but so far, it's been business as usual:

Considering Parros pulled the same stuff the NHL wants to try and eliminate that was wishful thinking on your part. 

Well the good news for the league is that refs are probably going to keep a close eye on Perreault now.  Openly threatening to use your stick to hit another player across the head in "defense" doesn't seem like a particularly prudent thing to do...  Even if Perreault's tone was joking (which is possible but isn't mentioned by the interviewer), I don't see how it achieves anything close to what he seems to be hoping for:  more accountability from the league.

Virtanen's hit wasn't great but it wasn't the worst either.  The angle posted above shows that though there was a bit of a chicken wing going on, it wasn't Virtanen's elbow that made contact with Perrault's head.  Obviously still not a great hit as contact with Perrault's head was obvious, but it could have been way worse.

Combined with the non-penalization of Tkachuk for his hits on Kassian, this has not been a great week for the DoPS.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

NHL DOPS ( Department of Player Safety )   should be renamed to DOPE

Because Parros is a Dope....  NHL is a JOKE> 

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Considering Parros pulled the same stuff the NHL wants to try and eliminate that was wishful thinking on your part. 

You guys should listen to the Spittin chiclets podcast with Parros. A good listen and gives his side of the story and how the process is done. 

You know the saying "the coach has lost the room?" I believe that the DoPS has lost the players.

Also, Perreault is very clearly being hyperbolic. He had just returned from a concussion. Let's not pretend that if the same hit happen to one of our guys, we wouldn't be up in arms. An incident 4 years ago does not excuse today's actions.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Parros also owns a clothing line with the tag "Make Hockey Violent Again." Not exactly the kinda guy you want running a Department of Safety.

I remember it from the game clearly and the camera angle from center ice was a much better view, it was 100% shoulder. It was clearly a case of MP running into Jake but Jake leaned into him when he saw it coming instead of trying to avoid. Jake could have gotten 2 for interference but Perreault is way off base expecting DOPS to deal with minor collisions like this.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Then he should find his balls and drop the gloves next time. No one is going to think "good for him" if he just cracks someone over the head with his stick. 

He’s just pissing wind.  But I like that players are talking about defending themselves.  

4 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

I remember it from the game clearly and the camera angle from center ice was a much better view, it was 100% shoulder. It was clearly a case of MP running into Jake but Jake leaned into him when he saw it coming instead of trying to avoid. Jake could have gotten 2 for interference but Perreault is way off base expecting DOPS to deal with minor collisions like this.

Close to the same thing Getslaf did to Jake last season?