The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Feb. 01, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Vanisleryan said:

We clearly have the best Hughes brother....I know Jack will be a stud but I don’t know if I’d trade Quinn for Jack at this point. Quinn is just so dynamic. He’s like an extra forward when needed but also a has great defensive instincts. He’s just getting better and better which is a crazy thought. I remember someone comparing him to Lidstrom last year and I thought that was a very bold thing to say....but wow this kid.

Luke Hughes (youngest of 3) saids hi. Already close to 6 ft, tallest of the 3 brothers, also a Dman. But he has broken Quinn Hughes’s scoring record at the same age in the same league. He is 2021 draft eligible.

Edited by ruilin96
  • Upvote 1

Not sure what to think about Schaller's game.  Nothing bad, scored a decent goal.  Wasn't super visible or impactful.  And his goal was a little fortunate bouncing off the goalie but a goal is a goal.  And Roussel seems a little absent compared to last year anyway.  Miller great, Petey solid maybe a little below par for him and what he wants to do, Virtanen was good again, Boeser ok with one bad pass that cost us.  Beagle, Sutter solid, Pearson was having tough luck with pucks bouncing on him, Bo solid as a rock, Loui was very good, Gaudette a little inconsistent but nothing bad and a great play to generate Schaller's scoring chance.  The D played well overall with a shaky start from Myers.  I don't know, not much to bitch about at all though the Isles looked a little quicker overall and going up 17 shots in the third seems excessive.  Marky wasn't super tested despite the numbers, no stack the pads highlight reel stuff, but he swallowed up everything that came to him.  Made things look easy and had another good game.  I guess maybe Demko gets the next one?

• Cheers 3

Just now, Warhippy said:

If it comes down to a tie or near tie for points and both teams make the playoffs it has to be played down to who was more of a contributor for their team and by and large I think Hughes is the clear standout in that regard.  The Avs made the playoffs without Makar last year, the Canucks were nothing defensively or on special teams last year prior to Hughes.

I really hate how so many of these trophies rely on point production. It's important, but it shouldn't be the primary measurement. To your point, it's clear that Hughes is head and shoulders above the other D men here (no offense to them) and he's a rookie. He makes great plays in tight spots while under pressure better than MOST 10-year veterans. I don't even know who to compare him to, he's like Scott Niedermayer and Patrick Kane combined into one. 

5 minutes ago, Moe Knows said:

Great win. QH is the real deal..let all the Maker is Calder shoe in chew on that performance. Can someone tell why the hell Millers goal was unassisted, he scored off a rebound and that usually gets an assist at least to the shooter???

Huggy should have got an assist for a 3 point game.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

I’m on my way to this opinion as well.

Also thinking that this may have been Quinn’s best overall game of his career. Some of his defensive plays were amazing as well today.

i kept thinking "damn, this kid keeps getting better"

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Quinn is looking like the kind of player we've been yearning for for decades. First of his ilk we've had since Ehrhoff, and he's a rookie.

Isles probably should have won, it's nice to get away with one.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Really enjoyed the game.  The team battled hard and came very close to getting the reg. win.  They were playing a great defensive game and keeping the NYIs away from the net.

The OT showed us just how dominant this team is when they are in a pinch.  It felt Sedin like during their reign.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2