The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Hawks @ Nucks - Feb 12 2020 - 7:30pm Pacific - SNET - SEDIN SPECTACULAR

Rate this topic

xereau

17 hours ago, luckylager said:

Their numbers will look good hanging from the rafters. We were lucky to have em.

Don't even.

Come on man

Brutal. It's a nice looking case, too bad the cans are full of trash.

Sincerely,

luckylager

Gifts going to loyal fans in the workplace, enjoy!

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, khay said:

Just saw on tsn.ca discussing Sedins credentials for HHOF. I personally thought they are first ballot HHOF but apparently, their expert thought the Sedins fall just short. 

He did back up his opinion by saying Alfredsson who has better stats did not make it in yet but he also used a biased stat to support himself saying that in 10 out of 17 seasons, the Sedins put up below HHOF numbers (first 4 seasons and the last 6 seasons).

Using Henrik's stats. Here are the 6 seasons that the TSN guy was referring to:

2012-13: 45 points in 48 games -- this was a lockout shortened season so Hank was still about PPG.

2013-14: 50 pts in 70 (Torts year, should be considered more of an abnormality than the norm from statistical perspective given the previous years performance and the season after).

2014-15: 73 pts in 82 -- very good number for 34 year olds. This is certainly not a down year at all.

2015-16: 55 pts in 74 -- down year starts.

2016-17: 50 pts in 82.

2017-18: 50 pts in 82. 

He was saying that in the last 6 seasons, the Sedins averaged fifty something points per season (he obviously counted 45 points in 48 games as being sub HOF). But in truth, I think only last 3 seasons were below HHOF level. Hank averaged 52 points per season in the final 3 seasons, which I think is a decent production for 35, 36, 37 year old player. Not to mention that they basically played full 82 games in the 3 of their last 4 seasons, which is not common for players that age. 

He also forgot to mention that Alfredsson did not win MVP nor any scoring titles, whereas Hank and Danny did (Hart and Lester and both won Art).

This taught me that outside of Vancouver or maybe outside of Western conference, people still don't fully appreciate the Sedins.

Nevermind the fact that looking at solely points being the only criteria for a HoF player seems absurd.

Dave Andreychuk didn't have HoF seasons in final 1/3 of his career. Igor Larionov had 644 points in 921 career NHL games. Just a couple of examples.

The Sedins made an impact to the league. People around the league seemed to respect them as good people (aside from a few miscreants). They have hardware (although not the ultimate hardware that they would've liked). And ultimately they have the uniqueness of being twins and playing their entire career together at such a high level for so long. There is a lot more that makes the HoF worthy than simply looking at stats (which aren't even bad).

• Cheers 1

Just now, johngould21 said:

I swear I heard Ron Mclean say it was going to be a live ceremony across Canada.

I was just mimicking Apricot's SHUTOUT chant which she uses during games when the Canucks havn't scored -  which usually results in the shutout being broken

thought if she tried a BLACKOUT chant, the magic may work to lift any blackout that does exist..

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, johngould21 said:

You have to love this Chicago rivalry. Always eventful, entertaining, and full of surprises! This goes back to the good old Sweathog Division days, and the playoffs in '81 when they battled in that Stanley Cup run. How special that some of the participants in the latest Stanley Cup run are going to be in Rogers Arena tonight. Toews, Kane, Keith, Burrows, Luongo, Bieksa, Kesler, and Hansen. I'm almost as excited as I would be if this were a playoff game tonight.

Totally agree. I find this rivalry way more intense than any so-called rivalry against the Laffs.

This rivalry is all about what happens on the ice.

GCG!

Just now, PistolPete13 said:

Totally agree. I find this rivalry way more intense than any so-called rivalry against the Laffs.

This rivalry is all about what happens on the ice.

GCG!

I wish it was against the Lames or Oilers instead. I feel like the rivalry with the Hawks is gone, there's no one to hate on that team anymore. No more Bufuglien, Bolland, Eager etc. I know Keith is still there but still.. 

2 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

I wish it was against the Lames or Oilers instead. I feel like the rivalry with the Hawks is gone, there's no one to hate on that team anymore. No more Bufuglien, Bolland, Eager etc. I know Keith is still there but still.. 

I think the Hawks were the biggest rivals during the Sedin era - maybe that's why they chose tonight for this reason - only guessing

40 minutes ago, khay said:

Just saw on tsn.ca discussing Sedins credentials for HHOF. I personally thought they are first ballot HHOF but apparently, their expert thought the Sedins fall just short. 

He did back up his opinion by saying Alfredsson who has better stats did not make it in yet but he also used a biased stat to support himself saying that in 10 out of 17 seasons, the Sedins put up below HHOF numbers (first 4 seasons and the last 6 seasons).

Using Henrik's stats. Here are the 6 seasons that the TSN guy was referring to:

2012-13: 45 points in 48 games -- this was a lockout shortened season so Hank was still about PPG.

2013-14: 50 pts in 70 (Torts year, should be considered more of an abnormality than the norm from statistical perspective given the previous years performance and the season after).

2014-15: 73 pts in 82 -- very good number for 34 year olds. This is certainly not a down year at all.

2015-16: 55 pts in 74 -- down year starts.

2016-17: 50 pts in 82.

2017-18: 50 pts in 82. 

He was saying that in the last 6 seasons, the Sedins averaged fifty something points per season (he obviously counted 45 points in 48 games as being sub HOF). But in truth, I think only last 3 seasons were below HHOF level. Hank averaged 52 points per season in the final 3 seasons, which I think is a decent production for 35, 36, 37 year old player. Not to mention that they basically played full 82 games in the 3 of their last 4 seasons, which is not common for players that age. 

He also forgot to mention that Alfredsson did not win MVP nor any scoring titles, whereas Hank and Danny did (Hart and Lester and both won Art).

This taught me that outside of Vancouver or maybe outside of Western conference, people still don't fully appreciate the Sedins.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - the debate is more about should they be first ballot HHOfers or wait for some time ... Eastern based news considers them worthy, or at least definitely did when they retired.  I've read many articles saying they will get in - all of them Eastern based.   THN and their writers for the most part but also Ottawa based sports media.    They played in the dead puck era for enough time to give them a bye on a slow start.    Once they got rolling their wasn't many players that kept up.  Only Thornton did better over the same time period (scored more points).   Because Crosby and Ovi hadn't started yet and the old guard retired.   Thank Crosby too for being concussed ... his PPG was at a different level entirely when they won their Art Ross's. 

A few players scored more goals over and the same time period as Daniel (Marleau for example), but obly Thornton had more assists and points then these guys - which puts them a top of the pile for their generation.  HHOF is coming for both of them and I think most experts agree. 

49 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Nevermind the fact that looking at solely points being the only criteria for a HoF player seems absurd.

Dave Andreychuk didn't have HoF seasons in final 1/3 of his career. Igor Larionov had 644 points in 921 career NHL games. Just a couple of examples.

The Sedins made an impact to the league. People around the league seemed to respect them as good people (aside from a few miscreants). They have hardware (although not the ultimate hardware that they would've liked). And ultimately they have the uniqueness of being twins and playing their entire career together at such a high level for so long. There is a lot more that makes the HoF worthy than simply looking at stats (which aren't even bad).

to be fair, Larionov had a HoF career before he got to the NHL