The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Kings trade Tyler Toffoli to Canucks for Tim Schaller, Tyler Madden, 2020 2nd-round pick, conditional 2022 4th-round pick

10 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Honestly a lot to pay, but where was Madden going to play on our team?

EP

Horvat

Gaudette

Madden? I think we'd need a Sutter/Beagle type here, not a 150lb skill player.

My thought exactly, I kind of felt he would eventually be a trade chip, very excited for this trade.

I dont really understand the need to load this team up with tweener after tweener. People act like the quarter season Schaller had at 500k of cap remaining was some huge weight lifted off this team's shoulders. He coulda been buried in the minors and had a negligible impact for the remainder of his contract.

• Upvote 1

Certainly not the quality of the player but this puts the team over the cap.

I thought this is supposed to be a rebuilding team, now it looks like years of being in the middle of the road.

Don't get me wrong the bottom of the team looks like it could be effective but it is literally relying on two players, Markstrom and Miller, even if Edler or Tanev get hurt this team is in trouble.

They have chance for the playoffs but they could still miss as the pressure ramps up on the players to make it.

Future traded away on a team rebuilding? Head scratcher

Edited by Lazurus
  • Wat 9

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

He is pushing harder than Tim Schaller and the absent Ferlund. 

We have enough small players on our team. Madden was expendable and wasn’t even likely to make the team anyways.

Madden's got legit potential. I'll bet he plays in the league. Young players on ELC's are what teams with cap constraints (us) need. 

We'll see what happens in the offseason. If this team goes out quick in round 1 then Toffoli leaves, people will have receipts ready. 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Getting away from what we traded.

You definitely like Toffoli as a player. Solidifies our top 9. Don't know how we can re-sign him, Tanev & Markstrom now though. 

Eriksson would need to retire. Maybe Ferland does too.

Sutter/Baer would need to be dealt.

Tanev and Markstrom would have to take discounts.

At least 2 of 3 of those would need to happen.

3 minutes ago, Bert Diesel said:

So glad, they didn't trade Hoglander, Lind and especialy Podkolzin. They were dealing from a position of strength with a lot of forward prospects. It still hurts to lose Madden and I don't see any chance they could resign Toffoli with their cap issues. 

They may be able to sign him if they have a mutual understanding with Loui