The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning Press Conference [Toffoli add, Boeser, Levio injuries]

Rate this topic

Rush17

8 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Probably.  Were doing fine without Ferland and Leivo.  BB was struggling anyway.  TT is an upgrade. 

Boeser had been struggling the entire season. He was being carried by miller and petey. Luckily Virtanen had made up for his play this season and tofolli is an upgrade over any other RW we have. Depth saved our ass

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Selfish look at me me me attitude.  When it’s tough sledding, I see him disappearing.  

Idk, every game I watched I saw a tenacious don't F with me player.  He might be short bit he is a wrecking ball of a player with a bit of a nasty edge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Idk, every game I watched I saw a tenacious don't F with me player.  He might be short bit he is a wrecking ball of a player with a bit of a nasty edge.

Only thing he has to watch out for is that if he tries that $&!# up here we don't really have anyone to protect him from answering the bell.

Marchand can pull that $&!# all he wants, he has big back up.

Canucks need to acquire that then we'd be more dangerous

59 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Only thing he has to watch out for is that if he tries that $&!# up here we don't really have anyone to protect him from answering the bell.

Marchand can pull that $&!# all he wants, he has big back up.

Canucks need to acquire that then we'd be more dangerous

tryamkin hopefully 

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Check the stats.  Dumba is not playing very well at all, especially 5 on 5.  Considering his minus number, he affects a game right about where Stecher does.  And Stecher is half the cost.  

You obviously did not work today...….too much Scotch!

Dumba is coming off injury, he will get better,,,,,Stecher had no injury...that is all he has ……..Stecher is also playing on a better team. IMO

Dumba is not elite, but a very solid #2 IMO

I don't know buddy, maybe you are right, and I am wrong....he ain't coming here anyways...so I guess we will see!

11 hours ago, 250Integra said:

My guess at the 7 forwards(?) that Benning is mentioning:

MacEwan

Podkolzin

Lind

Hoglander

Jasek

Lockwood

Focht

One little detail...  I think that he was talking about 7 young players (D and forwards)....  

For me, I think it's going to be: Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, Juolevi and Brisebois.  The 7th guy was probably going to be Madden and Benning felt that we have enough youth coming in that we can afford to trade one away. 

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

One little detail...  I think that he was talking about 7 young players (D and forwards)....  

For me, I think it's going to be: Lind, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Rathbone, Juolevi and Brisebois.  The 7th guy was probably going to be Madden and Benning felt that we have enough youth coming in that we can afford to trade one away. 

well JB named Zac MacEwan as one of those guys. I also think Brogan and Woo are in that mix 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nathancanuck said:

Baertschi, Chatfield, 2020 5th round pick for Simmonds, 2020 7th round pick

Sign Tryamkin please

Baer is a cap dump, Chatfield has no value.  It would cost us a second round pick and a good prospect for any team to take Baer.

If JB trades fir Simmonds we are not going to be at all happy with the cost.  

14 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Leafs can't afford that; they need to somehow bring in 5 defensemen who can play defense, plus re-sign Muzzin.

Dreger is speculating a 4-year, 5.5 million deal - heavily front-loaded with NMC/NTC attached.

I really wonder what piece(s) they trade in the Summer. If they fail to make the playoffs this year - or when they get bounced by the Bruins, they'll need to shed to minimally replace - let alone improve.

If Muzzin's price is 5.5 - wouldn't be surprised if that's the ballpark for Tanev too.

Edited by Canadian

5 minutes ago, Canadian said:

Dreger is speculating a 4-year, 5.5 million deal - heavily front-loaded with NMC/NTC attached.

I really wonder what piece(s) they trade in the Summer. If they fail to make the playoffs this year - or when they get bounced by the Bruins, they'll need to shed to minimally replace - let alone improve.

If Muzzin's price is 5.5 - wouldn't be surprised if that's the ballpark for Tanev too.

If Leafs miss the playoffs and Shanaplan and Dumbass are gonzo.

If they make the playoffs they lose to TBay is round one.

God this all makes me smile ::D

55 minutes ago, Canadian said:

So Tanev at 5.5 and Marky at 6.5.  That’s 12 million on the cap we have to somehow open up.  Loui plus Sutter plus Baer is about 12.  How much does it cost us in sweetener to dump those three contracts?  

That was a very honest press conference. Very informative.

The forward group next season will look like:

1. EP

2. Miller

3. Horvat

4. Boeser

5. Toffoli

6. Pearson

7. Virtanen

8. Gaudette

9. Roussel

10. Beagle

11. Motte

12. MacEwen

13. Eriksson (assuming he doesn't retire, and why should he say no to millions of dollars?).

Sutter traded to make space for Toffoli. And I assume Ferland will be on LTIR.

This is a pretty good forward group.

Defence is a bit harder to predict but assuming we re-sign Tanev:

1. Edler

2. Hughes

3. Tanev

4. Myers

5. ?

6. ?

7. Benn

#5 and #6 spots up for grabs with candidates being Juolevi, Rafferty, and possibly Tryamkin. They will do everything they can do give OJ some NHL time next season as long as he is healthy. But my prediction is that the two spots go to Tryamkin and Rafferty.

1 minute ago, khay said:

1. EP

2. Miller

3. Horvat

4. Boeser

5. Toffoli

6. Pearson

7. Virtanen

8. Gaudette

9. Roussel

10. Beagle

11. Motte

12. MacEwen

13. Eriksson (assuming he doesn't retire, and why should he say no to millions of dollars?).

Sutter traded to make space for Toffoli. And I assume Ferland will be on LTIR.

This is a pretty good forward group.

Defence is a bit harder to predict but assuming we re-sign Tanev:

1. Edler

2. Hughes

3. Tanev

4. Myers

5. ?

6. ?

7. Benn

#5 and #6 spots up for grabs with candidates being Juolevi, Rafferty, and possibly Tryamkin. They will do everything they can do give OJ some NHL time next season as long as he is healthy. But my prediction is that the two spots go to Tryamkin and Rafferty.

Did you do a cap projection on that group?  Add Marky at 6.5 and a cheaper UFA backup of 1.5.

isnt it like 90 plus million?  

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did you do a cap projection on that group?  Add Marky at 6.5 and a cheaper UFA backup of 1.5.

isnt it like 90 plus million?  

I didn't. Let me try.

8 minutes ago, khay said:

1. EP: 1.8 (bonus carry over)

2. Miller: 5.25

3. Horvat: 5.5

4. Boeser: 5.875

5. Toffoli: ???

6. Pearson: 3.75

7. Virtanen: ??? 

8. Gaudette: ???

9. Roussel: 3

10. Beagle: 3

11. Motte: ???

12. MacEwen: ???

13. Eriksson: 6

F: 34.175M. With Toffoli, Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, and MacEwen to be signed.

1. Edler: 6

2. Hughes: 1.8 (including bonus carry over)

3. Tanev: ???

4. Myers: 6

5. Tryamkin: ???

6. Rafferty: ???

7. Benn: 2

D: 15.8M with Tanev, Tryamkin, and Rafferty to be signed.

Markstrom: ???

Demko: 1.05

Total: 51.025M

Dead cap 

Spooner: 1.03

Luongo: 3.03

Baertschi: 2.29 (buried)

Total: 6.35.

Total confirmed cap: 57.375M.

Let's assume the cap goes up to 83M. We have about 25.625M left.

I'm going to assume
Toffoli at 5

Virtanen at 2.5

Gaudette at 2

Motte at 1.5

MacEwen: 1

Tanev at 5.5

Tryamkin at 2

Rafferty at 0.7

Marky at 6

Total needed is about 26.2M, which is more than 25.625. It would seem that we will have to trade Baer off the roster somehow as well even if we retain 1M of his salary. Even then, it's quite tight but it's not a 90M roster.

But yeah, keeping Toffoli beyond this season might be a challenge.