The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks @ Arizona Coyotes | TBD | What's Interference? Edition

Rate this topic

Templeton Peck

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not to mention with states already putting a cap on public gathering the teams won't  make any money - in fact will just hemorrhage it. And fans will stay away on purpose too as this worsens.     The silly part is most of us are going to get it eventually, this is only just going to slow it down.   Hopes are in the summer it will Peter out - but highly unlikely it just won't come back and keep on it's way through the human race.  Only our own anti-bodies or a vaccine will keep it from us, and one is 18 months away best case scenario, the other - well you have to get it and beat it to work.    

Maybe these measures will be enough to hold it off - but not according to the experts.   Confirmed cases going up 50-100% lately and that should slow down with people's awareness but it won't stop it.   I guess hockey players have the resources to stay away from the world while it does this ... but doubt some of them won't end up getting it before a vaccine is available.   The long view is they might be no hockey next year too, or another canceled season - that's what the math says anyways. 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

They aren't reinventing the wheel. This issue calls for unconventional thinking since this is an unconventional problem.

The kicker that goes against what you say would be the games played. Teams that would be out could argue that had everyone played as many games that they could be in. Example being if team A lost their 2 games in hand of team B, team B would be in. It would be a very valid point.

Having the teams fighting for it literately fight for it would be a fairer option and entertaining.

Who knows if it happens though, it could just end the season for sure. Hard to predict.

Like I said though I would rather see a delay if at all possible.

Going by win % literally levels the playing field with regards to how many games a team has played.  You look at how many points a team has  in comparison to how many they could have accumulated.  The teams are ranked as normal, but using percentage instead of actual points.  In this system Vancouver would be in, Winnipeg out , despite the fact that Winning has more points.  

They’re 100% going to suspend in a couple of hours. Just hope they have a better plan for next steps than the NBA. Maybe just outright cancel the rest of the regular season and rank the playoffs on points percentage or something. 

Edit: although on the flip side if they do terminate the season entirely there would need to be an open draft lottery like when Crosby was drafted. :ph34r:

Edited by drdeath

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Either am I.  

Sure seems like society is panicking for what appears to be a bit more aggressive "flu".  Who knows for sure though as it may take a number of weeks or even a few months to see how far this covid19 goes.

I guess we will know later today with respect to the NHL. 

Donald? That you?

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Going by win % literally levels the playing field with regards to how many games a team has played.  You look at how many points a team has  in comparison to how many they could have accumulated.  The teams are ranked as normal, but using percentage instead of actual points.  In this system Vancouver would be in, Winnipeg out , despite the fact that Winning has more points.  

No, it doesn't because you get points for OTL. The only fair thing they can do is remove games. Each team has played 68 games so go back to the point totals at 68 games for all teams.

Edited by peaches5

I think games tonight will go ahead, but everything past tonight will be suspended until further notice. 

Enjoy it while you can, I think we're going to see full systemic pause in the US at least in about a week. Everything is getting canceled. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think games tonight will go ahead, but everything past tonight will be suspended until further notice. 

Enjoy it while you can, I think we're going to see full systemic pause in the US at least in about a week. Everything is getting canceled. 

The Chinese basketball league paused for 9 weeks, and now they’re starting again.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

No it doesn't because you get points for OTL. The only fair thing they can do is remove games. each team has played 68 games so go back to the point totals at 68 games for all teams is the only fair way of doing it.

What does OTL have to do with anything?  

look. It’s simple. I’ll use the Canucks and Jets as an example again 

The Jets have played 71 games. So the maximum points they could have is 142.  They actually have 80 points. 80/142=0.563 

The a Canucks have played 69 games. Maximum points they could have is 138.  They actually have 78.  78/138=0.565

canucks have accumulated a higher percentage of available points. That puts them ahead of Winnipeg. It doesn’t erase the results of games played. 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Chinese basketball league paused for 9 weeks, and now they’re starting again.  

I think we'll still get a full season, I think they will push further into summer. 

I wonder if they will move draft, free agency etc. Going to be interesting to see how they sort this out.

Next week is start of Spring break for schools, won't be surprised if kids get extended break.

• Like 1

This sucks. Hopefully we get to watch the Canucks play tonight, things seem to be happening very quickly. What will this mean for the NHL Awards and the Draft? If they play tonight and the Canucks "get in"? Do they have to give up their 1st this year? Can't believe I'm saying this, but hopefully the Leafs beat the Preds tonight, not that it really matters :( Sad times.