The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks to part ways with Judd Bracket

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, the grinder said:

yep  exactly  then the excuse of well we were winning and trading picks will come into play next lol

Don't loose sight of the White = Erhoff. and of course White was acquired in 2007 under the Nonis era, just in case we loose perspective

9 minutes ago, Zfetch said:

Who cares.

Scouts come and go.

There are plenty of scouts in the sea.

Because for every one good scout there's ten bad scouts. Any one can call themselves a scout. If that's your criteria for who the Canucks employ I hope it's not prevalent with management

• Upvote 1

But who gets to quantify who is a good scout VS a bad one? All we hear are the media's leaked version of things. Based on benning's work post linden, things are trending in a good direction. In fact, I'd say there needs to be two assessments of benning, with linden and without linden. 

58 minutes ago, the grinder said:

more like  cap dump   equals  first round bust 

I think it's been mentioned before that SJ wasn't targetting White. At that time, if you didn't sign your 1st round pick, you would get compensated with a 2nd round pick and that's what SJ really wanted in the deal.

Probably not relevant to the conversation, but just wanted to add to those that aren't aware (as I was when I first read about it recently).

2 hours ago, FairPM said:

But who gets to quantify who is a good scout VS a bad one? All we hear are the media's leaked version of things. Based on benning's work post linden, things are trending in a good direction. In fact, I'd say there needs to be two assessments of benning, with linden and without linden. 

the gm does it when he hires the individual. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I would say almost all moves since linden have been really good

JT trade

Toff trade

Pearson trade

Podz, Hogz draft

hughes and Peteys performance

Myers was an upgrade

team trending upwards 

I love linden but the worst decisions of Benning's tenure happened under linder

1.deciding to try to keep this team "competitive" while the sedins were here, Linden said many a time "we owe it to them to try and stay competitive.." well TL, you tried but failed miserably and it set us back

2. as a result of # 1- signing LE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

JT trade

Toff trade

Pearson trade

Podz, Hogz draft

Myers was an upgrade

team trending upwards 

1.deciding to try to keep this team "competitive" while the sedins were here, Linden said many a time "we owe it to them to try and stay competitive.." well TL, you tried but failed miserably and it set us back

Love it. So true. The local media love linden and seem to give him so much slack. Makes you wonder... How long can one man remain a golden boy? 

33 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

JT trade

Toff trade

Pearson trade

Podz, Hogz draft

Myers was an upgrade

team trending upwards 

11 minutes ago, FairPM said:

Love it. So true. The local media love linden and seem to give him so much slack. Makes you wonder... How long can one man remain a golden boy? 

Don't forget Linden's other boy Cloutier let go and Clark brought in. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Don't forget Linden's other boy Cloutier let go and Clark brought in. 

I have no confidence in cloudier as a goalie coach other than at the Junior (CHL) or NCAA level

Clark has done wonders with marky, has turned him from marginal starter to our MVP

• Cheers 2

On 6/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, FairPM said:

I thought linden wanted the rebuild but it was benning who wanted to surround the sedins with better players ie errikson amd rebuild on the fly? Or have I got it way wrong? 

On 6/4/2020 at 4:37 PM, Fred65 said:

Because for every one good scout there's ten bad scouts. Any one can call themselves a scout. If that's your criteria for who the Canucks employ I hope it's not prevalent with management

you've met and evaluated lots of scouts I am sure

10 hours ago, austy said:

I thought linden wanted the rebuild but it was benning who wanted to surround the sedins with better players ie errikson amd rebuild on the fly? Or have I got it way wrong? 

Not from my understanding.

I think all of Linden, Benning, and ownership were initially on the same page back in 2014 (ie a lot of our vets were devalued and so we wouldn’t be able to get elite prospects and high 1sts in trading them, along with the fact that we had almost no one in our system within that 20-23 age range and so trading our vets for whatever, would only be setting up whatever few kids we had in our system to fail due to being rushed and playing in positions Over there heads).  

All three guys knew that we were in a tough spot and would be headed for some rough years, but that having a veteran presence to insulate the incoming kids and creating a culture of accountability was of the utmost importance (I.e having the right on ice and off ice habits at all times despite losing, competing hard every night, and kids being placed into positions where they would be challenged and could grow their games, but not be over exerted).

I think where Linden and ownership started to diverge, was in how quickly certain kids should be brought into the line-up (again, this is speculation on my part).

I believe that Linden felt that guys like Gaudette and MacEwan were ‘good enough’ to step into an NHL line up and get some exposure, while Benning and ownership felt that the Gaudette’s and MacEwen’s needed a little bit more time, and could benefit with playing bigger roles in the AHL while growing their games.  Hence, the signings of Beagle, Schaller, and Roussel.  Management assumed that if and when Gaudette and MacEwen were ready, finding spots for them in the line-up wouldn’t be a problem, and vets would be moved out accordingly (just as was the case when Motte beat out Gagner).  

I believe that this was the biggest issue between Linden and ownership and was ultimately why Linden decided to leave.  

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Thanks 1