The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Skate Jersey Petition For Qualifying Round/Playoffs

Rate this topic

djheer

3 hours ago, Laoag said:

Its not better, its called nostalgia, back in the day did anyone say we had the best jerseys with the skate? everyone aways talked about how bad the logo and jersey was. EVERYONE!

it still is a bad logo. people are just nostalgic which is fine I am too, I grew up with that logo. the Orca is our best symbol, best logo, longest serving, and highest winning percentage logo. Colours are the best as well. that's my opinion but the majority I people I know prefer it. Its a generational thing I get it, so I think the most important thing is keeping the brand and consistency. 

polls mean crap all. how many Canucks fans are there in the world? how many people are active on this forum? not even a percent, this is my first time back on these board in like a year maybe, and I am a biggest Canucks fan I know. Poll done by the province? yes... because people follow the province like they used to. I was not aware of that poll I didn't vote in it, see the issue? 

so in short... skate logo bad yet nostalgic, green and blue colours are better and represent our province better and we need consistency.

Nah.  For me if I had to rate the best Orca uniforms it wouldn’t be the current ones - but I’m sure they will grow on me.   

This idea that the uniforms have to represent the city and province isn’t a bad one - that said not many other teams do that so why should we?  It’s not just nostalgia- those were pretty kick-ass uniforms.  The WCE ones were dreadful.   I have magazine rated by pro designers plus fan polls that’s not that old - top 50 all-time uniforms.   The only Canuck one that made the cut was the skate uniforms.  Why because they are awesome - and even the Sedin team players asked and wanted to wear them.   But were denied.    The origin story isn’t good - getting branded by a US company with intentions to change the name and move it to Seattle.  Messier didn’t help either although it’s not his fault.  Bet he’d have played better if we didn’t change them ha ha.  

Sure some fans like them more who have been around long enough.  How old are you exactly I’m curious as nobody I know past 45 prefers the Orca. Not one person.   

Boston, Detroit, TO, CHI, MTL, NYR...none of those uniforms make sense for their climate city or state/province one bit.  Really if it came down to it most states and provinces would be - guess what - BLUE GREEN and WHITE.  Including teams like WSH, PHI, PIT, TB, FLORIDA.. the only outliers would be PHX, Vegas and Dallas.   If you haven’t been to those places I’d recommend it.  NY and Pennsylvania are covered in trees, lakes and rivers just like BC.  Same with COL.  Same with Quebec.  Same with WNP.   

Pro designers, fans, non-fans alike all rank the Linden uniforms the highest every time.   Get over it.   The Orca and current uniforms are fine - but they are not the best we’ve had - not  even  close.  That said for continuity sakes I can live with it.    The team we have now never looked better rocking the skate logo uni’s and never will unless they finally decide to go with what the actual market likes.  Then you could have nostalgia about the Orca and all it means to you. 

Edit: BTW the highest ranked uniform from BC is the champion team from Trail BC.   That’s how the pros ranked it.   I’m from Castlegar so think that’s pretty cool.  Trail Smoke Eaters.  Grandfather spent 30 years in their smelter after the war.  Pretty interesting name and what a series they played ...  

image.jpg

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Nothing wrong with the present jersey, but absolutely love the Skate jersey....both the white and black one. 

One of the coolest jerseys to ever hit the market. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/24/2020 at 6:21 PM, Chris12345 said:

I hate the Orca as it actually stands for the American company that owned the Canucks and doesn't remotely tie to the team name.

I am more interested in the fish your dad caught....

Neither does the stick in rink. Yet both form a C for Canucks which ties both logos to the team name.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

It's interesting (in a good way) to me how passionate many of you are about the logo.  I support the Orca because I like the idea of consistency.  

What they're wearing doesn't actually affect my enjoyment of the team in any major way.  I'll admit that I enjoy seeing the jerseys of the past as a change of pace now and then.  

I would prefer if we could all just support something as a fanbase without complaining about it lol.  I suppose that won't happen until we win a cup but I would support a yellow smiley face on the jersey if everyone else would.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Baratheon said:

It's interesting (in a good way) to me how passionate many of you are about the logo.  I support the Orca because I like the idea of consistency.  

What they're wearing doesn't actually affect my enjoyment of the team in any major way.  I'll admit that I enjoy seeing the jerseys of the past as a change of pace now and then.  

I would prefer if we could all just support something as a fanbase without complaining about it lol.  I suppose that won't happen until we win a cup but I would support a yellow smiley face on the jersey if everyone else would.

This guy gets it.  We are all cheering for the same team right?  What they wear on their chests shouldn’t really matter.  Now I will admit that I love the black jersey (child of the early 80’s) but it really is just nostalgia. The orca bugs me a bit as it was brought in by a company named Orca Bay...sure its a C but I think the orca may have originally meant something other than Canucks. I will watch my team regardless of logo or jersey design and throw jabs at leafs fans until I die. Now I’m going to quietly hope that I get to do that while they hoist the cup in a yellow smiley face jersey!!

• Cheers 1

On 7/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, IBatch said:

Nah.  For me if I had to rate the best Orca uniforms it wouldn’t be the current ones - but I’m sure they will grow on me.   

This idea that the uniforms have to represent the city and province isn’t a bad one - that said not many other teams do that so why should we?  It’s not just nostalgia- those were pretty kick-ass uniforms.  The WCE ones were dreadful.   I have magazine rated by pro designers plus fan polls that’s not that old - top 50 all-time uniforms.   The only Canuck one that made the cut was the skate uniforms.  Why because they are awesome - and even the Sedin team players asked and wanted to wear them.   But were denied.    The origin story isn’t good - getting branded by a US company with intentions to change the name and move it to Seattle.  Messier didn’t help either although it’s not his fault.  Bet he’d have played better if we didn’t change them ha ha.  

Sure some fans like them more who have been around long enough.  How old are you exactly I’m curious as nobody I know past 45 prefers the Orca. Not one person.   

Boston, Detroit, TO, CHI, MTL, NYR...none of those uniforms make sense for their climate city or state/province one bit.  Really if it came down to it most states and provinces would be - guess what - BLUE GREEN and WHITE.  Including teams like WSH, PHI, PIT, TB, FLORIDA.. the only outliers would be PHX, Vegas and Dallas.   If you haven’t been to those places I’d recommend it.  NY and Pennsylvania are covered in trees, lakes and rivers just like BC.  Same with COL.  Same with Quebec.  Same with WNP.   

Pro designers, fans, non-fans alike all rank the Linden uniforms the highest every time.   Get over it.   The Orca and current uniforms are fine - but they are not the best we’ve had - not  even  close.  That said for continuity sakes I can live with it.    The team we have now never looked better rocking the skate logo uni’s and never will unless they finally decide to go with what the actual market likes.  Then you could have nostalgia about the Orca and all it means to you. 

Edit: BTW the highest ranked uniform from BC is the champion team from Trail BC.   That’s how the pros ranked it.   I’m from Castlegar so think that’s pretty cool.  Trail Smoke Eaters.  Grandfather spent 30 years in their smelter after the war.  Pretty interesting name and what a series they played ...  

image.jpg

Tiger hearted burner account? haha geez that's a bunch of hot air. lol my whole family likes the orca better and there are several members over 50 so your claim is false. what does it matter how old I am? I grew up with the skate, good enough.

its all personal preference, I am just a fan of symbols and actual meaning. I like the Orca design better, I like the fact it has symbolism of the west coast and the indigenous people. there's nothing to get over you Goof. I am not getting into a back a forth with anyone here because I am a hockey fan... not a fashionista. 

Edited by Laoag
spelling

The origin story isn’t good - getting branded by a US company with intentions to change the name and move it to Seattle.  Messier didn’t help either although it’s not his fault.  Bet he’d have played better if we didn’t change them ha ha.  

1. "We've been looking at changing the uniform for a long time," said Canucks president and GM Pat Quinn, who ceremoniously handed the new jersey to Linden.
  3. "A West Coast artist finally came up with something we liked. Tradition is very important. I've always liked the (Chicago) Blackhawks' clean lines and they've never changed their logo. We wanted something that said where we are from."
  5. The design was developed by Orca Bay creative director David Youngson and White Rock artist Brent Lynch and was refined through input from Quinn, some of the current players, fans and focus groups. It's the fourth distinct uniform design since the club began in 1970.
  7. While there has been some speculation that this is the first step in changing the Canucks name, the Orca Bay brass have steadfastly denied that.
  9. "A name change is not an issue," said Orca Bay vice-president of corporate communications Kevin Gass. "There are no plans or intention to do it."

Btw, McCaw had no plans to move the team. He wanted to sell the team and most hockey people believed the team would be moved if that happened as it was bleeding money here at the time. Thankfully Burke turned that around and a local buyer (Aquilini) stepped up.

I was in high school when the Nucks joined the NHL. Two kids, five grandkids, and two great grandkids. Do the math. I only have one friend in my age group that likes the stick in rink. It's the only jersey he likes and doesn't believe in having an alt. Of my other friends 55 and over most would like Orca primary and skate for the alt and one that would prefer skate primary and Orca as alt.

• Cheers 3

10 hours ago, Baggins said:

1. "We've been looking at changing the uniform for a long time," said Canucks president and GM Pat Quinn, who ceremoniously handed the new jersey to Linden.
  3. "A West Coast artist finally came up with something we liked. Tradition is very important. I've always liked the (Chicago) Blackhawks' clean lines and they've never changed their logo. We wanted something that said where we are from."
  5. The design was developed by Orca Bay creative director David Youngson and White Rock artist Brent Lynch and was refined through input from Quinn, some of the current players, fans and focus groups. It's the fourth distinct uniform design since the club began in 1970.
  7. While there has been some speculation that this is the first step in changing the Canucks name, the Orca Bay brass have steadfastly denied that.
  9. "A name change is not an issue," said Orca Bay vice-president of corporate communications Kevin Gass. "There are no plans or intention to do it."

Btw, McCaw had no plans to move the team. He wanted to sell the team and most hockey people believed the team would be moved if that happened as it was bleeding money here at the time. Thankfully Burke turned that around and a local buyer (Aquilini) stepped up.

I was in high school when the Nucks joined the NHL. Two kids, five grandkids, and two great grandkids. Do the math. I only have one friend in my age group that likes the stick in rink. It's the only jersey he likes and doesn't believe in having an alt. Of my other friends 55 and over most would like Orca primary and skate for the alt and one that would prefer skate primary and Orca as alt.

Ahh... my age group is a little younger ... yes I’ve read the pr - but also read that Quin was violently against re-naming us the Orcas which was tabled - same with some intentions to move the team to Seattle.    The Orca is fine and here to stay - that part I get too.    My older relatives still alive prefer the stick in rink for the most part.    Most are like me, not their favourite but accept continuity.   For me at least I’d like to see the skate more then three times a year on our 49th season (lock-out and all).    Would love it if we made it our third - with the stick in rink even - and used them more frequently.    It’s part of our heritage - and stats might not be absolute but for the most part the Orca sits 3 out 4 for favoured logos/uniforms.   I also fully expect that to change over time, the Orca will become the fan favourite at least (hard to say about non-fans and experts though) as it evolves and the older folks pass which is a little sad for me at least.   I was around during the Stick in rink but wasn’t old enough to get attached (plus I liked PHI the most first - thanks to Clark and his absolutely b!thcen hair do)....the V was the first one and wasn’t at all bothered with the changes.    Baggins I respect your views too, I guess I’m just not as mature yet!

16 hours ago, Laoag said:

Tiger hearted burner account? haha geez that's a bunch of hot air. lol my whole family likes the orca better and there are several members over 50 so your claim is false. what does it matter how old I am? I grew up with the skate, good enough.

its all personal preference, I am just a fan of symbols and actual meaning. I like the Orca design better, I like the fact it has symbolism of the west coast and the indigenous people. there's nothing to get over you Goof. I am not getting into a back a forth with anyone here because I am a hockey fan... not a fashionista. 

Don’t call me a goof you goof.  Ha ha.  No not a burner account - I’m not that invested to want to “kill the orca” (it is the Dumb -Nuck) ha ha.   Maybe it has something to do with where your from ... small town BC in my opinion at least has a different view.   Can speak for at least two that I can think of that weren’t at all happy with the change plus Victorian’s my age or older ...really who was. Also I’ve never said I didn’t like the Orca - just that I didn’t like the first ones - they were pretty bad.   Changing the colours made it way way better.   Going back to close to the original ones was for sure a great move - too bad they didn’t start there or maybe some of us wouldn’t have disliked it so much.   And for sure it helped that the Sedin peak team turned out so great.   Not trying to back pedal (ok maybe a little since I am a “goof”) - but felt obligated to continue the good fight even though I know it’s pointless.

No matter what anyone says - proper polls plus expert views do matter.   And the Orca doesn’t resonate or receive nearly the appreciation as previous uniforms do YET.   I fully expect it will with time - and for that feel oblidged to post a few things to keep it from dying away too fast.    Who didn’t like watching EP and QHs and Horvat (who looks like a total boss - plus 10 for intimidation just putting it on) ... the announcers loved it, the players loved it and can say anyone I know at least loved it too especially my older relatives.  Got lots of texts making sure I was aware they were playing with them before game day - that I never normally get.   Anyways - peace brother (or sister) fan.  Without hockey anything related becomes a hot topic fairly easily - this one won’t die anytime soon.   And I truly hope we keep the Orca over going into yet another “ new “ one that doesn’t honour anything close to the previous ones.    If that happens I suppose this would go on for another 20-30 years with Orca lovers screaming foul. 

Edit:  Bieksa and others asked to wear them too but were denied.   The players love it too.  Loving the Orca is harder for a lot of folks. 

Edit: And finally just because you prefer a different one doesn’t mean you can’t like all of them.  Preferred ones means exactly that.  

Edited by IBatch

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Ahh... my age group is a little younger ... yes I’ve read the pr - but also read that Quin was violently against re-naming us the Orcas which was tabled - same with some intentions to move the team to Seattle.    The Orca is fine and here to stay - that part I get too.    My older relatives still alive prefer the stick in rink for the most part.    Most are like me, not their favourite but accept continuity.   For me at least I’d like to see the skate more then three times a year on our 49th season (lock-out and all).    Would love it if we made it our third - with the stick in rink even - and used them more frequently.    It’s part of our heritage - and stats might not be absolute but for the most part the Orca sits 3 out 4 for favoured logos/uniforms.   I also fully expect that to change over time, the Orca will become the fan favourite at least (hard to say about non-fans and experts though) as it evolves and the older folks pass which is a little sad for me at least.   I was around during the Stick in rink but wasn’t old enough to get attached (plus I liked PHI the most first - thanks to Clark and his absolutely b!thcen hair do)....the V was the first one and wasn’t at all bothered with the changes.    Baggins I respect your views too, I guess I’m just not as mature yet!

Can you supply actual quotes from anybody involved that a name change was discussed? It's easy to claim the quotes I supplied was just PR but that's nothing more than opinion without actual quotes from those involved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

Can you supply actual quotes from anybody involved that a name change was discussed? It's easy to claim the quotes I supplied was just PR but that's nothing more than opinion without actual quotes from those involved.

I've noticed the biggest Orca detractors think nothing of making things up, out of thin air, to support their narratives.  The proposed name change, the move to Seattle, cheaping out on the uniform re-design in 2007, Linden having nothing to do with the logo, then Linden only towing company-line for said logo, anyone liking the logo being on the Aquilini's payroll...  It just goes on and on.

Every one of these assertions have been thoroughly debunked and yet they are still presented as facts by Anti-Orca crowd.  If they simply came out and said they didn't like the logo, I would have no issue.  It's the blatant making-up of facts that makes this vocal minority so annoying.

Edited by morgo
  • Thanks 1

I've decided.

The Orca stays.

Thanks for everyone's input, it's been a lively debate for the last bunch of years but I think it's time to call it a wrap.

I will welcome the Skate and Stick in the Rink as intermittent 3rds etc for the foreseeable future. However, and unfortunately for some, Johnny Canuck has been found to be an agitator and will no longer be employed. 

Go Canucks/

• Haha 2

At least the Canucks logos don't just lie to try to justify their team name like Ottawa.

The Senators don't have an actual Roman senator as their logo. It's an optione (it's unlikely that the designer actually knew the difference between an optione and a centurion). Senatorial rank was a societal rank and political office, but not a military office. You had to be of senatorial rank to be an officer in Rome, but that didn't make you an actual senator.

Also, can we talk about the helmet for a second - Roman military helmets didn't have visors. The "Senator" is wearing an adult version of this, with the addition of Corinthian-style cheek protectors. It's a historical nightmare.

spacer.png

An actual acting senator in the Roman Senate would be an old man in a toga, possibly with a scroll. If we're talking logo accuracy, something that looks like this guy would be more appropriate:

spacer.png

Also, notice the difference between Roman military uniform and Roman senate dress, easily illustrated here. Guess who the senator is (hint: he's in the front.)

spacer.png

3 hours ago, morgo said:

I've noticed the biggest Orca detractors think nothing of making things up, out of thin air, to support their narratives.  The proposed name change, the move to Seattle, cheaping out on the uniform re-design in 2007, Linden having nothing to do with the logo, then Linden only towing company-line for said logo, anyone liking the logo being on the Aquilini's payroll...  It just goes on and on.

Every one of these assertions have been thoroughly debunked and yet they are still presented as facts by Anti-Orca crowd.  If they simply came out and said they didn't like the logo, I would have no issue.  It's the blatant making-up of facts that makes this vocal minority so annoying.

I've said that bold part repeatedly in these jersey/logo threads.

• Cheers 2