The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen showing immaturity once again.

Rate this topic

cuporbust

St.L has 4 players test positive and need to cancel practise and in total there are now 11 players destined for play-offs.  Let's hope Virtanen doesn't join that club or infect others. Which ever bars/clubs what ever his choice. It's not just having a beer with a couple of friends it's risking his team mates ( and incidentally other friends and family) ... so he can have a beer. He seems to choose himself before his team mates. The days of just going out for a beer are over until the  world has a vaccine. Why do we need to write this in super large print on the side of a building to have people understand. God there's a lot of stupid people

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Fred65 said:

St.L has 4 players test positive and need to cancel practise and in total there are now 11 players destined for play-offs.  Let's hope Virtanen doesn't join that club or infect others. Which ever bars/clubs what ever his choice. It's not just having a beer with a couple of friends it's risking his team mates ( and incidentally other friends and family) ... so he can have a beer. He seems to choose himself before his team mates. The days of just going out for a beer are over until the  world has a vaccine. Why do we need to write this in super large print on the side of a building to have people understand. God there's a lot of stupid people

A little dramatic there Freddy. Missouri has like 18000 active cases whereas as BC has 162 as of Friday.

• Thanks 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Jake was on the ice in practice, does that mean he's been cleared to skate and thus clear of covid or is it practice first and find out results later and shut everything down if someone is tested positive?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Jake was on the ice in practice, does that mean he's been cleared to skate and thus clear of covid or is it practice first and find out results later and shut everything down if someone is tested positive?

As I understand it he has been tested and confirmed negative thus he is able to join the team for these optional skates.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

So BC health officials think it’s ok to reopen. Instead of blaming them and their policies, we blame a young hockey player for lawfully going to a bar. What’s the difference between Jake going to the club than day a random dude going to the club? Is Jake held to a higher standard just because he plays in the NHL? This is just wrong. 

My personal choice would be to not go to the club in the pandemic. That’s just me, I also go out with a mask. A lot of people don’t. I bet most of you here criticizing Jake also don’t wear a mask. Let’s not kid ourselves here 

Yep.  Pretty sad that all we have to talk a about these days isn’t much of a story.   He didn’t break the law - and there sure have been enough guys in the past sniffing coke or admitting to doing bad things after their careers were over including guys in the HHOF to make this look very, very tame.   Maybe he should know better ... but I wouldn’t want him any other way.   It’s ok to have some swagger folks - not everyone can be a perfect poster boy hockey player - and hey at least he wasn’t caught walking around a parking garage with his pants around his ankles right?    Said it earlier worst case his behaviour forces him to isolate for 14 days - he won’t be around his teammates without getting tested first.    He won’t be the reason the seasons cancelled either... and maybe he’s thinking ahead to the possibility of spending a couple of months in an EDM hotel and was just blowing off some steam .... whoopdie freaking do.    

As far as masks go - starting tomorrow they become mandatory in public places where I live / not a big deal / but I’m sure  if things ever get close to what it’s like here BC will do the same ....Trudeau should have asked everyone to get two weeks of food and shut the entire country down except for hospital- same with Trump. 

• Cheers 1

What the fans think and argue about Virtanen's behaviour ultimately means nothing.  The team's is the one opinion that counts when it comes to his future as a Canuck.  The players, coaches and GM are the ones who are directly affected by his behaviour and they are the only one's who's opinion counts at the end of the day.

Having said that we know that the team noticed his recent behaviour and spoke to him about it.  His past transgressions of being out of shape and acting selfishly on and off the ice have been well documented.

Guy is on the radar screen for getting traded.  If he crushes it in the play ins and playoffs he will silence his critics both inside and outside the team.

If he comes to camp out of shape and has other problems and doesn't produce..  he is in danger of getting dealt. 

On 7/5/2020 at 6:29 PM, Jtutino said:

I dont think it was a strip club, and he did donate 200 000 back to the Canucks autism network. But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good story! Also Jakes a little slow this shouldnt suprise anyone by now. It doesnt mean hes a bad guy. Its not like he exposed himself to a security guard like Matthews, or groped a cop like Giroux. He never broke any laws and maybe he needed this for his mental health after being cooped up since March! I know I could use a night out with the boys. Also doesnt he usually have a charity golf tournament in the summer?

On the flipside his actions can effect the entire team, trainers, and coaching staff during this pandemic. You know, that thing that shut the league down in the first place. It's irresponsible and disrespectful to his teammates. I hope he got an ear full of expletives from management.

34 minutes ago, Baggins said:

On the flipside his actions can effect the entire team, trainers, and coaching staff during this pandemic. You know, that thing that shut the league down in the first place. It's irresponsible and disrespectful to his teammates. I hope he got an ear full of expletives from 

How? Im pretty sure he has to test negative before he joins the group. If not the NHL should really change the protocol. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jtutino said:

How? Im pretty sure he has to test negative before he joins the group. If not the NHL should really change the protocol. 

Testing is not fail-proof.  Tampa and St Louis had to shutdown their facilities.  Players were tested 48 hours before allowed in.  It suggests that they had players testing positive, after a negative test that initially allowed them to enter the facilities.  Either it was a false negative or they caught it between tests.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jtutino said:

The only reason anybody knew was because of social media. Do you think he would have shown up and said, "Oh, by the way, I went out to a bar last night and didn't bother with a mask or social distancing. So maybe I should get tested" had it not been on social media? The virus can be spread before showing any symptoms. Does that seem responsible to you? The boy needs to grow up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Baggins said:

The only reason anybody knew was because of social media. Do you think he would have shown up and said, "Oh, by the way, I went out to a bar last night and didn't bother with a mask or social distancing. So maybe I should get tested" had it not been on social media? The virus can be spread before showing any symptoms. Does that seem responsible to you? The boy needs to grow up.

He would have been tested either way, even if he didnt go out for drinks. You think they seen a pic on insta then decided to test him? Dr Henry says its fine to do, and shes done the best job out of anyone in North America! If shes says its ok I believe her. Jakes just out here supporting local businesses they've had a rough 4 months too. I hope he left an NHL size tip!

13 hours ago, mll said:

Testing is not fail-proof.  Tampa and St Louis had to shutdown their facilities.  Players were tested 48 hours before allowed in.  It suggests that they had players testing positive, after a negative test that initially allowed them to enter the facilities.  Either it was a false negative or they caught it between tests.

Yeah I dont know why people keep referencing American cities or states.... florida has had over 205k confirmed cases? B.C has had what 2500?

Edited by Jtutino

21 hours ago, theo5789 said:

As I understand that's exactly what happened in St L. They cancelled practise when they found 4 players tested positive. How does this work ? you loose roster players due to covid then the teams with the players that make social commitment likely win the Cup. I assume going into the play-offs players need to be extra vigilant and commit ?  Am I wrong. Let's hope Virtanen isn't rubbing shoulders with EP & QH

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Jake made a mistake.  We all make mistakes.  Its okay to make mistakes.  We are all human.

And that right there is what’s needed to keep everyone safe. Staying accountable to each other and the leadership making sure guys know what’s at stake.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

And that right there is what’s needed to keep everyone safe. Staying accountable to each other and the leadership making sure guys know what’s at stake.

Rob Williams may be "The hockey guy" but this we all make mistakes doesn't wash for me. Think of this, this guy had his leg amputated and then died any way

Mark Cordero had experienced complications during his treatment for COVID-19, including lung infections and blood clotting in his right leg. Kloots announced in mid-May that her husband had woken up from a medically induced coma, after having his right leg amputated just weeks earlier.

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Jake made a mistake.  We all make mistakes.  Its okay to make mistakes.  We are all human.

That was not the entire quote from Tanev, at least in the tape of the TEAM 1040. Tanev goes on to take the sting out of the above by mentioning it was much like going to a grocery store. So some mixed messaging from Chris.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, gurn said:

That was not the entire quote from Tanev, at least in the tape of the TEAM 1040. Tanev goes on to take the sting out of the above by mentioning it was much like going to a grocery store. So some mixed messaging from Chris.

So not throwing your teammate under the bus in public?  Seems reasonable enough and I'm sure things were sorted out behind closed doors, like they should be.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

On 7/1/2020 at 8:39 PM, Silky mitts said:

Nothing wrong with this at all. The club is under restrictions, this is the same as going to a cactus club. 

Dr.Bonnie Henry says it's ok its ok,

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canucks-tanev-virtanen-mistake-nightclub

Well, I more concerned his own teammates think it was a dumbazz move to be honest.

Also, to ur comment he will be tested before he plays so sho cares....... 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/coronavirus-test-false-negative-1.5610114

And also, exposing urself like that while taking zero precautions makes the likelyhood u wont be available to play higher. I'll stand by my immaturity assessment.  Anyways...  

Edited by cuporbust
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1