The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

On Virtanen:

The league is full of past and current power forwards, who's teams gave up on them too early. The Canucks lost one in Cam Neely and years later the Islanders gave us a gift, when they decided Bertuzzi was never going to become and elite player.

Virt is one of, if not the fastest player on the Canucks and he has a great wrist shot. I think it would be criminal to give up on him now, especially for lousy return.

I agree.  Keep him one more year and leave him  unprotected in expansion draft, that way, he didn't really earned to be protected and if Seattle wants him, we don't really lose for nothing.  It's a win-win situation.  Because if Seattle don't take him, his value will be at lowest point in his career and we might let him go at its low value.  We might be able to keep our better players who is unprotected if Seattle selects him.  

2 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Someone needs to cheap shot Perron  ASAP.  Trip him in a race to the puck into the boards or something. Or give him the Churla.  Piece of trash player.  

Who was it that Huggy tripped into the boards?  I thought that was awesome, given how he was treated.  Was a little surprised it wasn't called, but it was a bit stealthy.  bonus points for Huggy there too, being able to give a little back.  It was potentially scary, since he Blues player was close to the boards, and might've hit head first. Guess it was just one more thing for Berube to bitch about.

That and Edler's beautiful hit on Perron were sure nice to see.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Someone needs to cheap shot Perron  ASAP.  Trip him in a race to the puck into the boards or something. Or give him the Churla.  Piece of trash player.  

This is eating out of Perron's hands. Don't need to focus on him. Keep playing a physical and focused game. Soon he will be crying like Hartman last series. Our top players were still our top players despite his antics.

14 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Every Canucks fan wants that.  That's a crappy reason to single out a player to hate on. And I think it is whining.

This is not the first time members of CDC have done this. As a matter of fact it seems like a pattern. There has to be at least one Canucks to whine about no matter what!

I think this has to do with expectations. He was touted as a Playoff performer so to many that means hit hit hit.

I can't go through every shift but one stood out to me. We were pressing and Jake had momentum towards a Blues player. We lost the puck and they quickly transitioned. Jake did a flyby and the camera shot went to the Blues rush. As the play developed, I expected to see Jake enter the screen on the bottom left if he was playing his position right. When he did and established a good body and stick position, I gave an "atta boy Jake". I'll bet that is one of the fly by's that some mentioned. He has to work within the system and be where the coach expects him to be. If legit hits are there and it won't take him out of position, I'm confident that he will start making them.

I'm not the only one to make this observation and again i'm not hating on Jake.  I was rather reluctant to comment on this because it seems any negative point we make on Jake would be construed as us hating on him and that we want his arse out of here which is not correct.  The fact is that if your teammates are busting their butts on every shift, getting hacked and slashed just to win, we expect everyone else to do the same.  Jake is not being paid to be a silent checker like Beagle.  He is paid to provide the physicality that this team so desperately needs.  He is one of the biggest and hardest hitters on this team.  If you haven't noticed, the Blues are a big tough team.  Jake by all accounts here was invisible.  That is not a good thing.  We don't need him to produce offensively like a first rounder should.  We just need him to show up and be engaged in the game.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

People love Hanson because he put in effort every shift, grafted and worked hard.

JV is a far more talented player than Hansen ever could be (not knocking Hansen) but he floats and coasts in games. If he put in more effort it wouldn’t be as bad. 

its the same reason why people sometimes rag on stars, effort - can score a ton of goals but if they never back check, and are lazy when it’s not going their way it rubs people up the wrong way.

i think people here want JV to be a success. Yes his season goals scoring wise was okay but there is more to it that just numbers 

Don’t disagree with this.   Motte is a better comparable as a player with potential to reach Hansen’s level.   JV has already matched his best season production wise which is the point I was trying to make.   JVs floor is so high that he’s already not a bust.  And should have a career that goes way past his next contract as long as he doesn’t fade (which I think at least is unlikely- higher chance he gets better).   So let’s not worry about him ... it is what it is and it’s absolutely 100% all about what he wants and how hard he plays at this point more then anything the coaches can do. 

18 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Give him the Churla ... what a funny thing to say well done sir.   That would 100% have to be EP or QHs then... only problem is nowadays you get suspended for at least one series for doing that sort of thing. 

27 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Every Canucks fan wants that.  That's a crappy reason to single out a player to hate on. And I think it is whining.

This is not the first time members of CDC have done this. As a matter of fact it seems like a pattern. There has to be at least one Canucks to whine about no matter what!

I think this has to do with expectations. He was touted as a Playoff performer so to many that means hit hit hit.

I can't go through every shift but one stood out to me. We were pressing and Jake had momentum towards a Blues player. We lost the puck and they quickly transitioned. Jake did a flyby and the camera shot went to the Blues rush. As the play developed, I expected to see Jake enter the screen on the bottom left if he was playing his position right. When he did and established a good body and stick position, I gave an "atta boy Jake". I'll bet that is one of the fly by's that some mentioned. He has to work within the system and be where the coach expects him to be. If legit hits are there and it won't take him out of position, I'm confident that he will start making them.

BTW this is a discussion forum.  Regardless if we win or lose we discuss all aspects of the game and the team both good and bad.  If Jake had come out and had 2 or 3 bone crunching hits and was noticeable then we wouldn't be talking about his lackluster play right?  If Hughes had come out and made lots of mistakes and cost us a few goals, we would be commenting on that as well.   Not sure why you need to take this so personally.  I haven't given up on him.  In fact I hope to see him show up for the next game.  

6 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

I'm not the only one to make this observation and again i'm not hating on Jake.  I was rather reluctant to comment on this because it seems any negative point we make on Jake would be construed as us hating on him and that we want his arse out of here which is not correct.  The fact is that if your teammates are busting their butts on every shift, getting hacked and slashed just to win, we expect everyone else to do the same.  Jake is not being paid to be a silent checker like Beagle.  He is paid to provide the physicality that this team so desperately needs.  He is one of the biggest and hardest hitters on this team.  If you haven't noticed, the Blues are a big tough team.  Jake by all accounts here was invisible.  That is not a good thing.  We don't need him to produce offensively like a first rounder should.  We just need him to show up and be engaged in the game.

By all accounts I 100% agree.   He needs to EARN his next contract.   Maybe he’s getting paid 1/2 as much as these guys but they also put their time in.  Not too worried about it.  It is what it is.  Maybe it won’t ever change as long as his cap hit is low enough we have room for him on the team. 

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Give him the Churla ... what a funny thing to say well done sir.   That would 100% have to be EP or QHs then... only problem is nowadays you get suspended for at least one series for doing that sort of thing. 

Get JV18 on the case....he isn't doing much of anything else out there...

I was mostly kidding obviously. Well not about Perron being a piece of trash...   I am more in the if they do it to Petey or Hughes we do it to Tarasenko line of thinking.  And if it isn't called consistently we pull a Brind'amour and call out the league for the joke it is :)

Edited by Gnarcore

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Leivo won’t play another game as a Canuck.  Wish him well but with cap restrictions we can’t afford that sort of depth anymore ... same with Fatenburg (OJ will slot in) same with sucks to say but probably Stetcher. 

Not so sure about that.  If we can't re-sign Toffoli, Leivo might well take his place (on the 23 man roster, not the top line) on a reasonable contract.  More likely than not, imho.

25 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Myers could pulverize him. MacEwen could be a solid choice to run him through the boards. Roussel and him could exchange some francais, and Edler could clothesline him again. Lots of options. 

• Haha 2