The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Aug. 12, 2020 | Canucks lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

That would be none other than Perron himself. It's no wonder players like him can be effective when they don't call the crap he pulls. If they called it by the rule book, he would not be able to stay out of the box. With that said, Roussel has gotten away with some stuff as well.

Only real joke was the MacEwen penalty. I can tolerate the Perron stuff, but don't make weak calls then.

The stick between the legs on Roussel was unnecessary too.  Roussel looked like he was embellishing a bit, but I'm not sure how that call was missed.  Was that Perron too?  

2 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

The stick between the legs on Roussel was unnecessary too.  Roussel looked like he was embellishing a bit, but I'm not sure how that call was missed.  Was that Perron too?  

Whenever I get a stick to the balls I feel it. Friggin hurts like a mofo.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

No I believe that was Brouwer. But yes plays like that should certainly be called. However I guess because Roussel has a reputation, they probably thought he was selling it.

11 hours ago, austy said:

I noticed that too, didnt he do that once with success last year in an overtime game?

Yeah he was successful at that once and it was with Miller. Perhaps he pushed off one side of Tanev, making him stumble, rather than pushing him dead center. Tanev was in stride too and is lighter than Miller. Overall it was a split second misread by Hughes since Tanev looked like he was keeping up with Schwartz till that point. I am sure next time he will try to process it better and see, whether or not his teammate can keep up or take the risk and give him a boost.

Hughes made up for that on the PP.

• Upvote 1

Thought I would express my pleasure in seeing our beloved team perform in the playoffs and my thoughts so far. I have waited 26 years for a team to come close to the 94' Team. This team I believe compares closely to them and I believe will exceed their achievements. For those of you who did not experience that run you are in for a treat. The character and drive in these players are similar to the team in 94'. I expect to see a new hero every night.

First, our Captain. That game last night is how a Captain is supposed to perform. It so reminds me of Linden but I believe Bo is a little more talented. Bo was a little non-chalant for part of the regular season but if he is going to elevate his play in the play offs, he deserves a little slack during the regular season.

The same goes for our veterans; Edler, Sutter, Loui, Roussel, Beagle and Markstrom have all been criticized at some point in the season. Veteran presence is key in the playoffs and our vets are showing their worth.

The young guys are showing that they are not going to take any abuse laying down. The are acting like hockey players and are willing to play through the rough stuff and not be knocked off their game. Petey, Boes Hughes and Stech have all played exceptionally well with the extra attention paid to them.

For those of you criticizing Jake? Jake is like that utility guy in baseball who can do it all. Some of you forget that when he was inserted on the top line he was producing at about a point per game. He is like a floater who can play on any line. I think Jake has a hard time with this though and I really think he thrives with more ice time. TG is choosing not to utilize him like that though and I see him struggle when he plays very little minutes.

He is a key part of the team IMO though and he should be around for a long time especially because of his youth and versatility.

HUGHES! We have not had a player like this and he is a game changer. He makes the team and the players around him better, period. He is our ace in the hole and will take us farther then we will have ever expected.

Markstrom is our closest thing to Captain Kirk. Calm under pressure and doesn't get rattled. Elevates his play in the playoffs as well.

Myers is that big pounding D man we have searched for a long time to find too. He will punish the oppositions offensive players and will make it very difficult for them in front of the net.

Players in the past were OK in the playoffs but not many EXCEEDED and elevated their game in the playoffs. I feel we had some players over the years such as Linden and Kesler but not many. This year? This is what elevating your game in the playoffs looks like:

Hughes  5 games 7 points

Horvat    5 games  6 points

Miller     5 games    5  points

Pearson  5 games   5  points

Boeser    5 games    5 points

Petterson 5 games   5  points

Tanev      5 games   5  points

We may not win it all this year but we are not going to run away with our tails between our legs either. GCG!! :towel:

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

I guess the CDC discussion bit was just for the haters? He wasn't a passenger. That's just opinion based on lack of hitting. It was his first playoff game against the Champs and I think that now that he has that under his belt, he will step up his intensity. We won remember?

That last childish and insulting  bit applies more to you than it does to me. I haven't resorted to immature rhetoric and hyperbole.

nope.  you have your opinions and I have mine.  But don't label me as a hater because I agreed with some on here that he did not have a good game.  I've said this many times that I like Jake and want him to succeed.  I AM NOT A HATER.  Pointing out that he did not have a good game is not hating on someone.  Get that through your head.

And btw I take offense to be called a hater since I love and support this whole team no matter who is playing for them.

Edited by coho8888

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I think you missed my point. Lumme was the best we've seen prior to Hughes....

Lumme had his moments but he'd turn the puck over at the blue line too often.  Erhoff was better than Lumme and I think Quinn will be better than Erhoff.

1 minute ago, Cali Canuck said:

Lumme had his moments but he'd turn the puck over at the blue line too often.  Erhoff was better than Lumme and I think Quinn will be better than Erhoff.

quinn was better than ehrhoff when he was 15 years old. 

that's not even an exaggeration. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Time zone differential is brutal - but I’m making most of the furlough to catch games

Aye Cheers UK96. 
You may as well make the best out of a bad situation. In these uncertain times, its a welcome distraction to watch the Canucks despite the time difgerence. 
Hope you’ll be back full time soon though. 

• Thanks 1

There's something special about this team right now. They have the right character and mindset to play to the best of their abilities, and we are witnessing it. They seem to get better each game and rise to the occasion. They have bought in as a group, and that's a powerful thing. I can't wait for more games, it's going to be a fun ride.

I'm hoping we don't try to play a heavy hitting game - that's their game. It's too early in the playoffs to get banged up and lose our depth. If they stick to the plan like they did the other night, we could beat them in a number of ways. One of the best, is let them take their hits and cheap shots, but make them pay on the scoreboard where it hurts most. Use our speed and smarts to our advantage, and don't fall into the trap of playing "their game".

• Like 1