The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 16, 2020 | Canucks lead series 2-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

These guys understand that these games are now chess matches. Any mistake - can & will cost ya. Textbook execution of the system & game plan is required. 

High risk adventures offer low rewards now. 

Play confident - but be smart!

Edited by viking mama

And - the X-factor!

The ominous 7th man isn’t in the building at present,....so we’ve got to believe!!!! Mental energies unite!

Watch/listen -  as hockey gods will eventually reward the faithful. 

Canucks in 6. 

Edited by viking mama
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Twice in almost 20 years... 

We win tonight and we're in a good position. It was always going to be a tough series but winning one of the back to backs was important. Doesn't matter which one. 

well to be fair.. St Louis played well in the series and dominated us 5v5.. if it weren't for the PP and Binnington.. we can easily be down 2-1 or 3-0.. Binnington was bad the first 2 games and 5v5 we are getting dominated 75% of the time. If the ref don't call any penalties both ways? i can see the blues winning the next 3 unless markstrom stands on his head and steals 2 more games. St Louis is just too big and will grind us down to a pulp.. and they won tonight without tarasenko even in the lineup.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

And they're a bunch of kids going up against last season's Stanley cup champs, in the playoffs, and are leading the series...

Get the &^@# out of here. Bunch of ninnies

You go tell em Lucky. +10

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jovocop55 said:

Love Hughes but u can’t jump up there like that especially in OT.. 

That doesn't make much sense. Why does the fact that it was overtime have anything to do with it? Are we only trying to prevent goals in overtime?

It's the same concept in regulation and OT: you're trying to score that next goal and not let the opponents do so. I haven't seen the replay so I can't make a call on whether in was right for him to jump up, but whether it was overtime or not shouldn't make a difference. 

3 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Big picture as @Jack Fig mentioned, man these young players are learning a ton what it takes to be in the post season.  Losing can often serve as a good reminder how to respond for the next game.

Side note: starting to really see who are the players you can win with and trust in big games and starting to also see some of the players you may want to move on from.

This was always the main reason Benning wanted this group to get playoff time. 
Both players and Management learning a lot about each others and themselves. 
This a totally different ball game to what they’ve experienced before. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think that was the first game that the Blues had the play without the Refs holding their hands. I thought the refs were much better except for the Virt penalty at the end.

Also, I think this is the first game our 3rd and 4th line got out played. We really need them to go and get us the energy back when the Blues push.

• Vintage 2

Typical overreactions. Leave it to CDC to blame the refs and think the entire league is for some reason conspiring against them to lose. No, its really just because this team wasn’t good enough to see it all the way through for the past 50 years. 

Secondly, this isn’t surprising. The Blues were first in the conference before the pause and defending cup champs. I would be more surprised if we actually went up 3-0. Sooner or later, they were due to win a game. More impressively, the Blues are a high-cailbre team and yet we’re right there with them only losing by a goal. What’s with the shock? We’re still leading 2-1.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Right.
The Canucks have seven players that are firing on all cylinders. With three in the top 5 league-wide.

76F85A47-ADDF-4E44-AFB3-41FC646F550F.jpeg

Eleven with points in seven games, including a pest, a top flight D, and two support players.

41F08841-8B31-4F02-880D-5A5BB0EB300D.jpeg

What Beagle brings more than makes up for the lack of points. He’s not there for that.

Motte I mean, he is what the playoffs are all about. He’s everywhere important he needs to be.

Eriksson is a defensive beast that allows Horvat and Pearson to play very offensive hockey.

Myers has been an absolute brute beast, putting the Wild and the Blues on their heals. He should’ve back for game five.

Virtanen is a big body and tonight Green tried him with Miller and Pettersson. I don’t see why he wouldn’t share time with Boeser depending on the needs of the game moving forward.

Fantenberg. Built to prevent goals in the playoffs.

MacEwen is not to n a bad place either. He’s been all over the Wild and the Blues. Game 3 is most likely an anomaly for him. The Blues HATE him.

61C7BADA-44DB-4606-8D57-2D697DD58CF4.jpeg

FerLAND should never have come back this year unless he needed a last fanfare because he knew he was done and wanted to go out with one last fight.

Adding Benn is like adding another Fantenberg.

Todfoli is injures and in a walking boot and is probably done for this series entirely.

Gaudette and Juolevi are the youngn’s.

27AB9929-C503-45A0-A97E-3B7F71E9573D.jpeg

You make some good points but I think it’s the Blues that are gonna hate Virtanen when he gets his game back playing with his wingman Gaudette.  All MacEwen’s fights do inspire the Blues veterans. Virtanen isn’t a 4th line grinder, he’s a top 6 power forward that just came into his own this year.  He was a dangerous Scoring threat.  And right now we need scoring depth.