The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Signing Tyson Barrie to the Vancouver Canucks + Bye to Tanev and possibly Stecher

ask a leaf  fan about the kadri/barrie trade . one for one leafs lost this trade , we give up for 2 for 1.  stech would merely be  an add on, but might not be in the picture anyway .but wouldn't it make sense to re sign tanev for comparable money maybe even less.  big NO ………no no no                      HUGE NO!

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Also fair enough. If we didn't have Benn, I'd be open to having a Fantenberg type with experience to go along with some youth coming up. Perhaps Benn will be that guy though.

We don't have a need for a guy like Vanek, but his cap to value ratio was very high and that is only to the betterment of the team. I'm always on the side of if the prospects show they deserve a spot, then they get it. I think we likely have to buyout someone like Sutter and I think if we can find a cheap faceoff man (someone that can PK as well), then I'd feel more comfortable knowing we have a guy like that ready to go than hoping Gaudette can pick up the slack.

tbh I'm hoping that we move Benn and keep Fanta, even if Fanta gets a small raise. 

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

[proposal] Signing Tyson Barrie to the Vancouver Canucks + bye to Tanev and possibly Stecher  

Here are some facts:

1) Barrie has an interest in coming to Vancouver

2) Given the season Barrie just had, he cannot possibly he had at a decent cap hit.

3) Given Barrie’s style of play, his game will likely age quite well relative to someone like Tanev (ie Barrie should still be around a similar level at the age of 34).

Here is another thing to consider when looking at the Vancouver Canucks in these current playoffs:    

Many people believe that our biggest pitfall against the Blues these past two games has been our inability to handle the Blues’ physicality, but I would argue that our biggest pitfall has been an inability to get the puck out of our defensive zone fast enough (swift puck movement) to allow us to break into St.Louis’ zone with far greater efficiency (zone entries via carrying the puck as opposed to dump and chase).    

The only defenseman that can really do that for us is Quinn Hughes, and Tyler Myers to a much lesser extent.  

Our biggest weakness on the blue-line is our lack of top 4 quality PMD, and this is where I believe that a guy like Tyson Barrie could get help us.  

Some possible concerns about bringing in Barrie:

1) Barrie has sucked in Toronto.   Negative.  Barrie was sucking under Mike Babcock.  He has played quite well under Sheldon Keife.

2) The presence of Hughes makes Barrie extraneous.   Negative.   Barrie can complement Hughes in a number of ways here.  First off, the presence of BOTH Hughes and Barrie would allow the Canucks to have a prolific PMD (puck moving dman) throughout most of the game.   This would allow both the Horvat line and the 3rd line to generate more scoring chances due to a more consistent PMD presence on the back-end.   End result = more secondary scoring.

There is also this misconception that the presence of Hughes would make Barrie extraneous since Barrie wouldn’t be on the first PP.  .   This doesn’t have to be the case.    The Canucks can elect to go with two strong PP’s just as they did in 2011.   The twins with Salo were running one PP, while Kesler and Bieksa were running the other.   

PP1 can consist of Petey, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes, etc., while PP2 can have Barrie, Myers, Miller, and Toffoli, etc.

The presence of a guy like Barrie could also allow for someone like Edler to have more rest with less ice-time since you could take Edler off the Power Play and get him to focus more on the PK, etc.

Canucks defense 2020-2021, and even 2021-2022

Edler-Barrie (this becomes 2nd pairing in 2021-2022).

Hughes-Myers 

Juolevi-Benn (if not Juolevi, then Rathbone.  Canucks re-sign Benn for veteran presence).

Rafferty or Brisebois as the 7th.

Under this scenario, the Canucks would now have THREE PMD’s in Edler, Barrie, and Juolevi (four if you include Myers), and would still be tough enough back there with Myers and Benn.  

Other defensemen available via UFA:  

I don’t think a guy like Gudas has much of an interest in coming here, while guys like Brodie, Pietrangelo, and Krug will be very expensive.   Schultz likely wouldn’t help us much, while Travis Hamonic might be similar to Tanev (ie susceptible to declining very shortly due to style of game).  

Tyson Barrie is worst than Stecher at defence so no thank you. I rather just sign Tryamkin and trade Stecher for a pick or prospect and save some cap money.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, khay said:

We need someone that can handle opposition's best forwards. Barrie doesn't do that.

The only potential UFA dman aside from our own Tanev that I would target is Pietrangelo. But Blues would be crazy to let him walk.

Another move is to perhaps trade Virtanen and Stecher with a pick and get a good defensive D man. Someone that is in the mold of Hamhuis or Hamonic. Maybe look at Philly D or Minny D for that type of defenseman. I wonder how much Brodin from Minnesota would cost us in a trade. 

20 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Tyson Barrie is worst than Stecher at defence so no thank you. I rather just sign Tryamkin and trade Stecher for a pick or prospect and save some cap money.

Barrie is worse than Stecher defensively but is MILES ahead of Stecher in terms of moving the puck from the back end and generating offense.

Barrie played very well in Colorado and was actually pretty good in Toronto post Mike Babcock.

And like I said before, Barrie’s game will age well unlike a Chris Tanev and I also suspect that Barrie will be able to be had a pretty good AAV (since the running perception of Barrie is that he struggled in Toronto).

If you’re worried about Barrie’s defensive game, put him alongside Edler.   

• Wat 1

Naw.

Need size on the back-end.

Something around Jake for Ristolainen?

Pretty much expecting Rathbone to make the team out of camp. Who the heck knows where Rafferty fits (RH OFD already in the system)...

Plug-in Tryamkin once his season ends in Russia.

Olli Juolevi is an offensive guy with good size. Maybe he gets worked in somewhere.

We need to build a fortress back there, St. Louis has exposed our D. It's definitely not the offense from the D that's the issue.

19 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Barrie is worse than Stecher defensively but is MILES ahead of Stecher in terms of moving the puck from the back end and generating offense.

Barrie played very well in Colorado and was actually pretty good in Toronto post Mike Babcock.

And like I said before, Barrie’s game will age well unlike a Chris Tanev and I also suspect that Barrie will be able to be had a pretty good AAV (since the running perception of Barrie is that he struggled in Toronto).

Playing alongside Edler doesn't magically make Barrie's defensive game better.

We need a defenceman that can actually help make 34 year old Edler better, not someone who will make Edler's life harder than it already is.

Frankly, Edler looked overwhelmed trying to handle the Blues' first line with Stecher. I can't imagine how tough it's going to be for Edler to play with Barrie, whose defensive game is worse than Stecher's.

IMO, Barrie is redundant since the prospect of OJ joining the team soon is actually more likely than not. 2 puck movers in Hughes and OJ should be good enough; we need guys with complementing skillset.

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

tbh I'm hoping that we move Benn and keep Fanta, even if Fanta gets a small raise. 

Technically we could bury Benn and sign Fantenberg for a year at a million and it would be the same cap hit (or if a prospect beats him out). Would be nice to trade out Benn's contract, but I suspect it won't be easy.

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Let's not replace our best shutdown defenseman with a defenseman who can't play defense. We have about 4 guys in Utica I'd rather have in the lineup over Barrie.  Barrie has yet to show he's capable of playing like an NHLer in his own end on any team he's been on, and sure as hell wasn't good in Toronto.  There isn't a defenseman in the league who can make up for Barrie's absolutely atrocious defensive game, let alone Edler. 

Edited by King Heffy

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Technically we could bury Benn and sign Fantenberg for a year at a million and it would be the same cap hit (or if a prospect beats him out). Would be nice to trade out Benn's contract, but I suspect it won't be easy.

I've been floating Benn 1/2 retrained to TO for a 2nd. No savings but a nice pick back and TO can't afford better. 

8 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

[proposal] Signing Tyson Barrie to the Vancouver Canucks + bye to Tanev and possibly Stecher  

Here are some facts:

1) Barrie has an interest in coming to Vancouver

2) Given the season Barrie just had, he cannot possibly he had at a decent cap hit.

3) Given Barrie’s style of play, his game will likely age quite well relative to someone like Tanev (ie Barrie should still be around a similar level at the age of 34).

Here is another thing to consider when looking at the Vancouver Canucks in these current playoffs:    

Many people believe that our biggest pitfall against the Blues these past two games has been our inability to handle the Blues’ physicality, but I would argue that our biggest pitfall has been an inability to get the puck out of our defensive zone fast enough (swift puck movement) to allow us to break into St.Louis’ zone with far greater efficiency (zone entries via carrying the puck as opposed to dump and chase).    

The only defenseman that can really do that for us is Quinn Hughes, and Tyler Myers to a much lesser extent.  

Our biggest weakness on the blue-line is our lack of top 4 quality PMD, and this is where I believe that a guy like Tyson Barrie could get help us.  

Some possible concerns about bringing in Barrie:

1) Barrie has sucked in Toronto.   Negative.  Barrie was sucking under Mike Babcock.  He has played quite well under Sheldon Keife.

2) The presence of Hughes makes Barrie extraneous.   Negative.   Barrie can complement Hughes in a number of ways here.  First off, the presence of BOTH Hughes and Barrie would allow the Canucks to have a prolific PMD (puck moving dman) throughout most of the game.   This would allow both the Horvat line and the 3rd line to generate more scoring chances due to a more consistent PMD presence on the back-end.   End result = more secondary scoring.

There is also this misconception that the presence of Hughes would make Barrie extraneous since Barrie wouldn’t be on the first PP.  .   This doesn’t have to be the case.    The Canucks can elect to go with two strong PP’s just as they did in 2011.   The twins with Salo were running one PP, while Kesler and Bieksa were running the other.   

PP1 can consist of Petey, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes, etc., while PP2 can have Barrie, Myers, Miller, and Toffoli, etc.

The presence of a guy like Barrie could also allow for someone like Edler to have more rest with less ice-time since you could take Edler off the Power Play and get him to focus more on the PK, etc.

Canucks defense 2020-2021, and even 2021-2022

Edler-Barrie (this becomes 2nd pairing in 2021-2022).

Hughes-Myers 

Juolevi-Benn (if not Juolevi, then Rathbone.  Canucks re-sign Benn for veteran presence).

Rafferty or Brisebois as the 7th.

Under this scenario, the Canucks would now have THREE PMD’s in Edler, Barrie, and Juolevi (four if you include Myers), and would still be tough enough back there with Myers and Benn.  

Other defensemen available via UFA:  

I don’t think a guy like Gudas has much of an interest in coming here, while guys like Brodie, Pietrangelo, and Krug will be very expensive.   Schultz likely wouldn’t help us much, while Travis Hamonic might be similar to Tanev (ie susceptible to declining very shortly due to style of game).  

Tyson, is that you?:emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

If this series/season has taught us anything, at least I hope y'all are paying attention, it's that our defense gives up way too many damn shots. Marky must be averaging 35 saves a game so far in this series. Tanev is literally the only guy that can somewhat mitigate shots against. Barrie will not help us limit shots against in the slightest. Hughes generates offense and Rathbone is on his way in the next couple seasons. I'd rather target a RD on the level of a Tanev or a Muzzin, which means we should just re-sign Tanev. Lol. Good stable defensive d-man. 

Long story short big time pass. Myers does everything Barrie does, with the added benefit of way more size and some meanness to his game. Re-sign Tanev, hope Woo can develop into a good top 4 two way D-man. Hope Tryamkin comes back and can fill that 3rd pair role.