The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Signing Tyson Barrie to the Vancouver Canucks + Bye to Tanev and possibly Stecher

[proposal] Signing Tyson Barrie to the Vancouver Canucks + bye to Tanev and possibly Stecher  

Here are some facts:

1) Barrie has an interest in coming to Vancouver

2) Given the season Barrie just had, he cannot possibly he had at a decent cap hit.

3) Given Barrie’s style of play, his game will likely age quite well relative to someone like Tanev (ie Barrie should still be around a similar level at the age of 34).

Here is another thing to consider when looking at the Vancouver Canucks in these current playoffs:    

Many people believe that our biggest pitfall against the Blues these past two games has been our inability to handle the Blues’ physicality, but I would argue that our biggest pitfall has been an inability to get the puck out of our defensive zone fast enough (swift puck movement) to allow us to break into St.Louis’ zone with far greater efficiency (zone entries via carrying the puck as opposed to dump and chase).    

The only defenseman that can really do that for us is Quinn Hughes, and Tyler Myers to a much lesser extent.  

Our biggest weakness on the blue-line is our lack of top 4 quality PMD, and this is where I believe that a guy like Tyson Barrie could get help us.  

Some possible concerns about bringing in Barrie:

1) Barrie has sucked in Toronto.   Negative.  Barrie was sucking under Mike Babcock.  He has played quite well under Sheldon Keife.

2) The presence of Hughes makes Barrie extraneous.   Negative.   Barrie can complement Hughes in a number of ways here.  First off, the presence of BOTH Hughes and Barrie would allow the Canucks to have a prolific PMD (puck moving dman) throughout most of the game.   This would allow both the Horvat line and the 3rd line to generate more scoring chances due to a more consistent PMD presence on the back-end.   End result = more secondary scoring.

There is also this misconception that the presence of Hughes would make Barrie extraneous since Barrie wouldn’t be on the first PP.  .   This doesn’t have to be the case.    The Canucks can elect to go with two strong PP’s just as they did in 2011.   The twins with Salo were running one PP, while Kesler and Bieksa were running the other.   

PP1 can consist of Petey, Boeser, Horvat, and Hughes, etc., while PP2 can have Barrie, Myers, Miller, and Toffoli, etc.

The presence of a guy like Barrie could also allow for someone like Edler to have more rest with less ice-time since you could take Edler off the Power Play and get him to focus more on the PK, etc.

Canucks defense 2020-2021, and even 2021-2022

Edler-Barrie (this becomes 2nd pairing in 2021-2022).

Hughes-Myers 

Juolevi-Benn (if not Juolevi, then Rathbone.  Canucks re-sign Benn for veteran presence).

Rafferty or Brisebois as the 7th.

Under this scenario, the Canucks would now have THREE PMD’s in Edler, Barrie, and Juolevi (four if you include Myers), and would still be tough enough back there with Myers and Benn.  

Other defensemen available via UFA:  

I don’t think a guy like Gudas has much of an interest in coming here, while guys like Brodie, Pietrangelo, and Krug will be very expensive.   Schultz likely wouldn’t help us much, while Travis Hamonic might be similar to Tanev (ie susceptible to declining very shortly due to style of game).  

• Haha 2
  • Wat 5

No thanks. Not interested in spending the money Barrie would want on him, and while he's a nice offensive piece his defensive game is suspect. At that price tag I don't want suspect defense. Think people complain about Myers? Just wait and see what happens if Barrie doesn't produce. Tanev is a stabilizing defensive piece in our lineup and bringing Barrie in wouldn't replace that. Swapping Tanev might result in our scoring more but we'd also likely give up more goals. 

If we're looking to improve our offense I'd let Stecher walk and see what we've got in one or two of Rafferty/Juolevi/Rathbone. Wanna know how most teams get talented offensive pieces on their back end? They draft or develop them. We're already going to be in a cap crunch, and we can't just keep accumulating prospects without giving them a shot at the show. Juolevi's produced at every level he's played and shown he can make a good stretch pass and be calm at the NHL level (although that was one game). He wasn't drafted at his position for no reason. He's also been practicing with the guys during the playoff grind, coaching staff will be very familiar with him and he'll have a solid idea of what our systems look like. Rafferty lit up the AHL and should be hitting his prime. Rathbone has a tantalizing skill set and has looked like another gem dug out of the draft. Woo's also probably a couple seasons out. 

Continue the youth movement, we're seeing it up front, let's allow it to continue on the back end as well. 

Edited by Coconuts

He wants to hit UFA to get the max dollars he can get from a team. Toronto ran with the same theme in believing they could have two puck movers in Rielly and Barrie. Barrie was atrocious until Rielly got hurt and bumped up Barrie to the top offensive duties. Toronto has run into the same problems they have every year and that is to have actual defense, which sorry to say Barrie is adequate at best. Unless he wants to sign a super cheap 2 million dollar 1 year deal to prove himself for a big payout, I have no interest.

A couple other things is that we don't need to re-sign Benn as we have him for another year and it looks like your plan is to keep Toffoli as well. In which case, how do you fit Toffoli, Barrie and Markstrom (unless you think we should move on from him and go with Demko, in which case, you're throwing in a relatively inexperienced netminder behind a defense that has downgraded on actual defense).

If we want to try this secondary puck mover, we might as well give Rafferty a shot at only 700k.Or another option is we indeed go with Juolevi/Rathbone next year as another puck moving option and as you claim, we have Myers already to have a guy on all 3 pairings to do the job. Both options fit our cap structure better and has potential to work out the same (can move the puck out and be a bit suspect on defense), while in the meantime, you fill that last hole with a solid defender, say someone like Tanev who wants to be here and will likely give us his best option in negotiations to stay. Hamonic might be another solid option who is more physical and I'd be curious if we could convince him to sign a cheap short term deal to play with us (and keep Tanev as well), which would buy us some time to groom Woo and hopefully transition him in eventually.

• Cheers 1

We need someone that can handle opposition's best forwards. Barrie doesn't do that.

The only potential UFA dman aside from our own Tanev that I would target is Pietrangelo. But Blues would be crazy to let him walk.

• Cheers 1

Rafferty is a good puck mover and 1/5th the price. Same with Rathbone. We have two internal prospects to try before locking in to a potential "Loui" type contract.

We need a RHD with size back there. So maybe Tryamkin is the answer, or maybe a Virtanen trade for a gritty less point producing RHD. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Cheers 3

25 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm okay with the Fantenberg/Vanek type UFAs.

Fair enough.  Personally, I feel like we have enough vets in the lineup and should be bringing in more youth.  So as any spots open up, where possible, I would like to see more of our prospects get to make the jump and start to learn the NHL game.

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Fair enough.  Personally, I feel like we have enough vets in the lineup and should be bringing in more youth.  So as any spots open up, where possible, I would like to see more of our prospects get to make the jump and start to learn the NHL game.

Also fair enough. If we didn't have Benn, I'd be open to having a Fantenberg type with experience to go along with some youth coming up. Perhaps Benn will be that guy though.

We don't have a need for a guy like Vanek, but his cap to value ratio was very high and that is only to the betterment of the team. I'm always on the side of if the prospects show they deserve a spot, then they get it. I think we likely have to buyout someone like Sutter and I think if we can find a cheap faceoff man (someone that can PK as well), then I'd feel more comfortable knowing we have a guy like that ready to go than hoping Gaudette can pick up the slack.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

He wants to hit UFA to get the max dollars he can get from a team. Toronto ran with the same theme in believing they could have two puck movers in Rielly and Barrie. Barrie was atrocious until Rielly got hurt and bumped up Barrie to the top offensive duties. Toronto has run into the same problems they have every year and that is to have actual defense, which sorry to say Barrie is adequate at best. Unless he wants to sign a super cheap 2 million dollar 1 year deal to prove himself for a big payout, I have no interest.

A couple other things is that we don't need to re-sign Benn as we have him for another year and it looks like your plan is to keep Toffoli as well. In which case, how do you fit Toffoli, Barrie and Markstrom (unless you think we should move on from him and go with Demko, in which case, you're throwing in a relatively inexperienced netminder behind a defense that has downgraded on actual defense).

If we want to try this secondary puck mover, we might as well give Rafferty a shot at only 700k.Or another option is we indeed go with Juolevi/Rathbone next year as another puck moving option and as you claim, we have Myers already to have a guy on all 3 pairings to do the job. Both options fit our cap structure better and has potential to work out the same (can move the puck out and be a bit suspect on defense), while in the meantime, you fill that last hole with a solid defender, say someone like Tanev who wants to be here and will likely give us his best option in negotiations to stay. Hamonic might be another solid option who is more physical and I'd be curious if we could convince him to sign a cheap short term deal to play with us (and keep Tanev as well), which would buy us some time to groom Woo and hopefully transition him in eventually.

Agreed.  As great as it would be to have another waterbug like Barrie who can create with his skating, I think this playoffs has shown time and again the importance of a strong defensive group, since for all the firepower teams have up front, defenses still have to be able to get stops.  There's potential, as mentioned, for Rafferty to show what he can do, and Stecher, for his lack of size, plays pretty big (same with Tanev).  It would be great to upgrade on Benn (who's been good these couple games, don't get me wrong) and add another sizable right side guy since teams are trending toward needing both size, speed and skill to win.  Hope the team can add someone with at least size and another element (either speed or skill) to the right side D.  With that I doubt Barrie's our guy, short of him signing for super cheap.  

• Cheers 1