The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

Want future's to kick start a rebuild, at what point has this team not been in a rebuild? Lol. Have they ever had a meaningful stretch of not being ass? I guess the 09/10 to 11/12 stretch is pretty close. 3 straight playoff appearances. But since then they've done nothing meaningful. They been in a rebuild since that 11/12 season. And again, I don't count the qualifying round as true playoffs. So this season doesn't even count as a successful season in my books. Whatever, if they wanna "kick start" a rebuild that's there business. With OEL's lack of a legit list this is a good chance at trying to out lowball the Coyotes with the Bruins. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Want future's to kick start a rebuild, at what point has this team not been in a rebuild? Lol. Have they ever had a meaningful stretch of not being ass? I guess the 09/10 to 11/12 stretch is pretty close. 3 straight playoff appearances. But since then they've done nothing meaningful. They been in a rebuild since that 11/12 season. And again, I don't count the qualifying round as true playoffs. So this season doesn't even count as a successful season in my books. Whatever, if they wanna "kick start" a rebuild that's there business. With OEL's lack of a legit list this is a good chance at trying to out lowball the Coyotes with the Bruins. 

They made it to the playoffs by beating Nashville in the qualifying round. Still a disaster of a franchise

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

People are seeing way too much value in Boeser. Let’s face it, he had a good rookie but then....... Hoglander might not pan out, he is not a top tier prospect. If this is what it takes to get rid of Eriksson and Boeser’s contracts, it’s worth it. People don’t seem to think there is a concern with BB’s contract. I really don’t understand why. An 8 plus million 20 to 25 goal scorer who is slow on his feet? Really? Boeser is not a bad player but an 8 plus million player when you already have Petey and Hughes? How?

Please explain how we can pay a 20-25 goal scorer 8 plus million down the road. If you can figure out the math please let me know. 

8 plus would be great - means he’s. 35-40 goal scorer not a 20-25 one.   As for his qualifying offer we can always take him to arbitration if that value doesn’t make sense. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

While I agree with your sentiment, I don't see the NHL doing this as it would open a can of worms across the league with other dead cap space situations.  It's much easier to let the Canuck sit with this for a couple more years and be done with it.  Unfair of course, but the easiest path for the league to take.

Pronger

Robidas

Hossa

Datsyuk

There's a significant history of what is essentially open cap recapture circumvention.

It's got legs imo

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Pronger

Robidas

Hossa

Datsyuk

There's a significant history of what is essentially open cap recapture circumvention.

It's got legs imo

the difference is those were all contracts. 

17 minutes ago, tas said:

the difference is those were all contracts. 

And Luongo’s is a contract too.   Have my doubts the league would allow this but for sure their is a precedent it’s been done before.    

Edited by IBatch

4 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, Chayka really screwed the pooch before he bolted... Armstrong doesn't really have much of a choice but to rebuild, and with the cap the way it is, he's gonna have a hard time not looking like a fool as he tries to get his roster in order with other teams looking to take advantage of their situation.

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And Luongo’s is a contract too.   Have my doubts the league would allow this but for sure their is a precedent it’s been done before.    

no, it's not. luongo's contract would have been terminated when he retired. what's left on the Canucks payroll is a penallty, or tax. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, buddyguy said:

I'm skeptical, yet excited at the same time. If we let Marky go then we might have room to re-sign Tanev too. With OEL our D would look like this:

Hughes - Tanev

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Edler - Stecher

Not too shabby at all. 

With rathbone, OJ, rafferty and possibly tryamkin knocking at the door as well.

Edited by Laoag

The more that comes out, the more I’m starting to think I was wrong about his value.  
This might be a very rare situation where a top pairing Dman can be had for peanuts.  
Sounds like the coyotes want to be out from that contract pretty bad.  
I genuinely thought it would start with Boeser and a 1st, as any proposals for a top dman would be.  
But it looks like a couple rookies and a camp dump might get it done.  

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

8 plus would be great - means he’s. 35-40 goal scorer not a 20-25 one.   As for his qualifying offer we can always take him to arbitration if that value doesn’t make sense. 

Taking a player to arbitration is generally the beginning of the end of the relationship.  It’s an ugly process 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

Gotta admit if Boston gets him on some bargain deal I'm gonna be bummed. Adding a player like OEL would really solidify the defense for years. 

sure, but this is also one of those situations where we don't really have to do anything. This is very nice to get at the right price but by no means an exorbitant price. 

I like that Jim is big game hunting but also will be happy if he gets to try to take advantage of the UFA market as well. 

• Cheers 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canucks-bruins-key-players-oliver-ekman-larsson-market/

OEL

This much we know: Oliver Ekman-Larsson has almost certainly played his last game for the Arizona Coyotes, and he’d like to play his next one for either the Vancouver Canucks or Boston Bruins.

Attempts to get the Coyotes captain to expand the list of destinations he’d waive a no-movement clause for have proven unsuccessful. Ekman-Larsson feels he signed with Arizona in good faith and if the Coyotes want to move on, he’s earned the right to use his NMC.

So, barring a last-minute change of heart, it’s either going to be Vancouver or Boston.

Neither of those teams owns its 2020 first-round pick, which means a potential return likely starts with a 2021 first and includes a prospect, plus another pick. This isn’t an easy deal for new Arizona general manager Bill Armstrong to maneuver because he’s dealing with a limited market.

The Coyotes like Boston’s prospects more than Vancouver’s, but, on the weekend, it seemed like the Canucks were the more motivated buyer, liking the idea of a long-time left side of Ekman-Larsson and Quinn Hughes. It is believed Arizona asked about Thatcher Demko, which would have been a non-starter.

Armstrong was in St. Louis when the Blues acquired Ryan O’Reilly in a package that included a first-rounder, a second-rounder and Tage Thompson. It would make sense if he tried to model this deal after that one.

Everyone’s grinding away here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1